Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2314 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     The Gallery Showcase :

Crespire - Please Review?

Thread title: Crespire - Please Review?
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
05-29-2006, 11:18 AM
MattL is offline MattL
Expertise:
Software:

MattL is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to MattL

Old

Originally Posted by JamesYooKay
Are you kidding?

Design isn't that important. Most websites about what we're about don't have any kind of design at all. Deviant art for instance, is just green. And thats about it. Make sure you know what you're talking about next time.
Design is equally important as is content, both of which you don't have much of. Deviantart has a wonderful design. Simplicity is much more pleasing than what you have created for Crespire. Majority of members DO know what they are talking about, and your disrespect towards them is uncalled for.

And I had a look at some of the other designs here, and they're all the same. Same colours, same kind of concept.. Why would we want to do that? Big glossy text and white isn't interesting at all.
If you were any sort of designer you would see that not one TF members style is the same as anothers. You may see some from people who are over-inspired, bu those are beside the fact.

Are you suggesting that we just get some designer to make it look like something else here?

Besides, how good does THAT look, having someone ELSE design an art website for you? Not good.
It also doesn't look too hot when you present an overall poorly designed website, when you yourself are an artist.

I appreciate your responses, but I don't think they're well thought-out.

We spent about a year checking around the internet before we gave the go ahead to this project, and half of them looked rather plain, and half of them looked like they could be the same site.
Many of the responses are better thought-out than yours. Now; I am not trying to upset you in any way, but I do not understand how you can respond the way you have; to people reviewing your website which you specifically requested them to do.

05-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Zane is offline Zane
Expertise:
Software:

Zane is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Zane

Old

Are you kidding?

Design isn't that important. Most websites about what we're about don't have any kind of design at all. Deviant art for instance, is just green. And thats about it. Make sure you know what you're talking about next time.

And I had a look at some of the other designs here, and they're all the same. Same colours, same kind of concept.. Why would we want to do that? Big glossy text and white isn't interesting at all.

Are you suggesting that we just get some designer to make it look like something else here?

Besides, how good does THAT look, having someone ELSE design an art website for you? Not good.

We spent about a year checking around the internet before we gave the go ahead to this project, and half of them looked rather plain, and half of them looked like they could be the same site.
Of course design is important. In some cases more important than content. People judge on first impressions, there was a study done and people could tell whether a website looked good in a 50th of a second.

You can have the best content in the world but you will get half the member base if the design is bad.

Your design is bad for several reasons:

1. The Blue, Green and Grey/Silver colour scheme is bad.

2. Because of the colour scheme there is little contrast. As a result the viewer doesnt know where too look first as they are distracted from the header. The first thing you want a viewer to look at is your logo, then the header, then the sub headers, then the textual content.

3. You have overused gradients too much.

So your site may well be brilliant and very usefull. However, as soon as i and most other viewers see this site i will instantly be put off. It seems very generic just like every other default skinned website/forum. (I may be wrong but this is how it comes across). Which is ironic considering you tried to design away from this style, but ive seen free skins very similar to this.

You need to seriously consider a redesign. With a good redesign your memberbase could increase by 200% or more of course reflecting your content as well.

However, design doesnt always work. Talkvb.com and netbusinesstalk.com have suffered because of lack of content but good design.

It is best to have the content first then build up the design. So this is your chance. I would seriously suggest you consider a good redesign from any talented designer.

In response to getting your design done by someone else. Virtually every website unless it is a web design agency website has their design and coding outsourced. Big companies like yahoo can employ their own staff but i gaurantee virtually every other good website unless run by a talented design or employing one has someone else do the design.

05-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Xplicit is offline Xplicit
Software:

Xplicit is on a distinguished road

Old

I think it looks too much like a forum portal type thing. And the layout is a lil plain.

05-29-2006, 12:27 PM
punkstar is offline punkstar
Expertise:
Software:

punkstar is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to punkstar

Old

I agree with JamesH, your greens and blues don't go together.

As for content, what are we meant to be looking at? Your member's posts?

..and I disagree JamesYooKay, design can be very important. I'd imagine its incredibly important for an art community. As for deviantArt, its green, but it looks nice

05-29-2006, 02:49 PM
northpark is offline northpark
Expertise:
Software:

northpark is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to northpark

Old

Are you kidding?

What you also neglected to mention is that deviantART, Yahoo, and Countless other sites that you use everyday are going through redesigns, or have been in the last few weeks.

05-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Dave is offline Dave
Expertise:
Software:

Dave is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via MSN to Dave

Old

Originally Posted by northpark
Wasn't an insult, i was telling you things that I thought were wrong with the template. Expansion is located below.

I feel like the template was created in pieces, the only coherence between the pieces is the same general colour scheme, the differences as i see them are as follows: The gradients are all of different methods; and they all conflict with eachother, While the lime green is in place in two of the major elements (content and header) it is AWOL in the side bars; that makes them stick out as being very differerent. I have also observed that the navigation bars cause a redundancy; only one is nessecary, and since you have enough problems with the side bars, and seeing as it has less, I would suggest its removal. The navigation unit at the top also is at fault of many things: the font/colour choice is horrendous - it doest stick out at all and I didn't even notice it the first time i visited the site. The side bars and footer are oddly out of place, I am not sure why you decided to colour border/footer a complete different colour, maybe to draw attention to a not-as important part of the template, or perhaps it was a mistake. May i also add the the 'Quick Links' option is not working for me.

For the content; there isn't much to judge, you have made three posts, none offering a smidge of 'Creative Content', one stating your mission statement (another flame war another time), another welcoming users to the forum and suggesting that they view the T&C, and the final announcing a contest. As this is a forum based community there isn't much to judge (as to what you have created, some of your user's work is quite good.) And since I do not feel like browsing through and viewing all your posts, I will leave it at that.

If you have any problems with what I said, then I suggest you stop asking for peoples opinions and reviews, because that is what I provided -- My view of your site.
That's exactly the kind of responce I was looking for - an expanded opinion for a review.

I just didn't appreciate one sentence with nothing more than what came accross as a pure, unjustified insult.

05-29-2006, 09:22 PM
aLx is offline aLx
Expertise:
Software:

aLx is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to aLx

Old

Well I tried to be civil but basically what It comes down to is that your saying let us show you how to be awsome designers, yet you have a poorly done design on your page. Deviantarts design is great yours is not.

It looks great thats the point. Rather have a great design that will attract members than have a poorly done green blue and silver design that makes visitors want to leave.

Bottom Line
Get a new design.

05-29-2006, 09:45 PM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

JamesH is on a distinguished road

Old

We are not trying to offend you. We are giving our view point about your design. Don't ask for our opinion, and then be offended by it.

I think you should re-think your website. A redesign is a MUST if you want your forum to reach MAX potential. I quickly browsed through your forum. You have a good amount of content for having only 53 memebers IMO. That averages to about 33.77 posts per person. I personally would be proud of that ratio for such a small forum. Re-design, and i can almost gaurantee you will get more sign ups. How can i say that? I joined TF because the skin was awesome. Later on in my life here at TF did i realize what an awesome community it is.

Also, at first, i was like you. I took the opinions here the wrong way and it offended me a little bit. But i thought about it before i posted, and i realized what they were saying was true, and that it could really help me. I suggest you do the same.

Regards,
James

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2