Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1827 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Need an Educated Opinion

Thread title: Need an Educated Opinion
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
08-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Catalyst is offline Catalyst
Expertise: Design
Software:

Catalyst is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to Catalyst

Old  Need an Educated Opinion

For a while now, I've been really seeking to get a tight grip of XHTML/CSS coding to broaden my technical skills. Right now, my main job is design, but I want to completely learn and master the coding aspect to make my services more flexible. I had some extra time in school today and I read through the HTML, XHTML, and CSS portion of w3Schools. I had a basic understanding and ability to code a little (just HTML and some CSS) but I believe I am able to take my understanding to the next level from what I have learned in the past couple months and today as well.

I am looking for any personal opinions from fellow coders to try to input some advice on where I should go next. The first step I planned to do is to code some of my past template designs in XHTML/CSS (validated), but I would like to know where I should look next, or someone help to point me in the right direction.

I am planning to go to college for Digital Arts & Design, but I also want to be able to code efficiently in XHTML/CSS as well as have a basic understanding of advanced languages such as JavaScript, PHP, and Ajax.

Any input would be greatly appreciated and I truly thank future posters for taking the time to help me out.

Thanks,
Redemption

08-31-2007, 01:54 AM
Kookie Phoenix is offline Kookie Phoenix
Expertise:
Software:

Kookie Phoenix is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Kookie Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Kookie Phoenix

Old

I would recccomend coding your templates and reading literature online/books on the languages you want to learn. But (X)HTML/CSS are in my opinion a neccesary starting point, from there on you should explore all others.

08-31-2007, 01:56 AM
Haris is offline Haris
Software:

Haris is on a distinguished road

Old

College of 'Design and Arts' cannot stop you from grabbing more skills. Next you should look into programming scripts. That way, you don't have to pay extra programmers to make your scripts for you or your client.

Start with C++ and then PHP or either way round then you can look onto Phyton(Django), Ruby (Ruby on Rails) and other languages.

08-31-2007, 05:47 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Haris View Post
Start with C++ and then PHP or either way round then you can look onto Phyton(Django), Ruby (Ruby on Rails) and other languages.
if you're going to take the time learn c++ why waste your time with web apps?

08-31-2007, 02:38 AM
insub2 is offline insub2
Software:

insub2 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to insub2

Old

08-31-2007, 03:55 AM
Andrew R is offline Andrew R
Expertise:
Software:

Andrew R is on a distinguished road

Old

I would recommend trying to code it with your knowledge (something simple you have done), then gradually add in some new features which would test your skills and techniques.

08-31-2007, 07:17 AM
Surge89 is offline Surge89
Software:

Surge89 is on a distinguished road

Old

You should try to code your simply layouts first, Learn the tricks and most of all, Ask how to do it if you don't know yourself, or can't find a solution on google.

08-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Software:

Old

Kookie - I agree with you. I already have a few XHTML/CSS coding eBooks right now on my hard drive. I'm going to read them fully this weekend.

Haris - I also agree with you as well. I didn't really mean one or the other, but I wanted to major in graphic design while being able to maintain the ability to code and develop even further.

insub2 - Thank you! I'm looking into these now to see which ones are different than the ones I have.

Andrew - With your post, I think the relation with what I'm looking for is right on the same track. I actually wanted to create 3 new templates this weekend and begin to code with what I know and add on to my knowledge and progress as I am experimenting. I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Surge89 - You're definitely on the same track with what I was thinking and as Andrew said. I have a few small coding questions right now but I'll wait to see if I can figure them out myself.

08-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Software:

Old

I'm not going to learn C++ right now. After basic coding, I wanted to completely focus on PHP no matter what.

09-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Jason Batten is offline Jason Batten
Software:

Jason Batten is on a distinguished road

Old

Reading the w3c specifications is good, for CSS you really need to just code more and more websites. Follow your passion and what you enjoy doing more than anything. Don't try to become the best web developer out there or the most profitable by learning everything - I fell into that trap (and it is a trap).

Do what you love and do what you do well. Stick to one - business, design or programming. You can do all but no doubt you are only really good at one and have a passion for... share the pie, share the responsibility and the stress

I spent hours and hours developing skills in areas like marketing and programming when all I really wanted to do is code HTML and CSS. Find out what you really want to do first.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >