Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2036 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Marketplace     Services Offered / Looking to Hire     Graphic or Web Design :

the mockup process - noob help

Thread title: the mockup process - noob help
10-27-2009, 03:55 PM
silent1643 is offline silent1643
Software:

silent1643 is on a distinguished road

Old  the mockup process - noob help

for the most part i am a freelancer in the works (i suppose) - meaning i can edit templates and code to my willing, install and configure just about anything, do basic websites -but when it comes to trying to create designs from scratch i seem to come up short

i understand what a mockup is and how to use one - and i am pretty good with photoshop but i need some basic rules / steps to keep in mind when creating a mockup

do i take a snap shot of the basic structure of a wordpress/forum design then build on top of that?

what resolution should most mock ups be created in?

anything else would help a great deal

12-22-2009, 10:18 PM
cpoalmighty is offline cpoalmighty
Expertise: Project Management / SEO
Software:

cpoalmighty is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to cpoalmighty

Old

a mock up is simply the way in which or the possibility of how a design is going to look once finished. It may or may not change.

When doing a mock up you go based on what the client wants for his or her website. Try to stay away from "editing" other persons work as it is not truly yours. There is no harm in using a design as a creativity tool but once you begin editing another persons code to make it yours, it may lead to an obsession or a simply a lack of creativity on your part and would not help your career.

The client would have set features they want in their website plus you should always try to get the client to list a few good websites they like and try to find out why do they like them. This will make your designing process much easier as it allows you as the designer to see similarities in a design (if you have a trained eye of course)

A mock up does not need much detail. Simply start off simple with the guideline notes you took from the client and you should be find. You could seek to improve on the design later down when the design starts to develop a bit (by more questioning of the client)

Hope this helps and good luck

12-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Aaron Moody is offline Aaron Moody
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

Aaron Moody is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Aaron Moody

Old

A mock up or wire frame as there known, basically is a guideline of how you (the designer) see's the website he intends to create, it's to give to the client so he/she knows what to expect functionality wise. They usually are colorless and do not use images (gray box with "X" through, represent images)
It also helps the designer to see "what works" structure wise, and is a fast and effective way to brainstorm / "sketch out" your ideas before taking them further and spending allot of time with details

There's an online app that help create wireframes for you, and if I find the link I will link you to it.

Also, the wireframe should be the same dimensions that the full website will be, I start of with 1200 x 1400

Hope this helps.