Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1315 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Web Site Development Pricing

Thread title: Web Site Development Pricing
01-28-2011, 09:19 PM
NavySeal is offline NavySeal
Expertise: programming
Software:

NavySeal is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to NavySeal

Old  Web Site Development Pricing

Hey guys,
First I know there is a giant thread HERE that goes into detail about pricing. However, I am actually starting to price my stuff beforehand I've typically just done work for friends as favors cuz it was a hobby. But that hows now changed and I am no looking into pricing section.

I was a little more curious to see how long (how many hours) you work and what you guys actually end up charging/invoicing for the different types of jobs you do on average as I am just trying to get a feel for how to price.

For example the article I mentions says if you price yourself at $50 an hour you have x,y,z expenses so you profit $20/hr.

So my main question is how many hours do you work on the following types of sites and in the end what is the invoice amount.

Typical 5-8 page site: # of hrs , $final invoice
Ecommerce: # of hrs , $final invoice
PSD to X\XHTML: # of hrs , $final invoice
PHP custom script dev: # of hrs , $final invoice
Graphic Work (bussiness cards / logos): # of hrs , $final invoice
etc.

Thanks in advance!

01-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

It should always follow the following formula
X hours worked, $X*price on invoice

If you quote (which is often required in design and front end coding) you need to figure out how long a typical job takes you and add a little to that. If it is a quoting job it does not matter how long it took you, its an agreed price.

For programming, there is simply no such thing as a generic price. All projects are different and take different amounts of time. I only ever charge by the hour for programming, when I have time I'll be writing an article on why quotes are a bad idea for all parties involved.

01-29-2011, 02:14 AM
Software:

Old

Hey Village Genius,
I appreciate the response I guess I should have asked how long you take hours wise. I understand every project is different and there are bugs that you could run into that can cause you to spend more time on it. However, I'm just curious when your building the quote for the client how do you determine how long you think it might take as far as previous experiences.

Thanks

01-29-2011, 03:36 AM
chaka42 is offline chaka42
Expertise:
Software:

chaka42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to chaka42 Send a message via MSN to chaka42 Send a message via Skype™ to chaka42

Old

NS, it all depends on how long it takes you. Everyone works at different efficiency levels, so, what may take one programmer 2-3 hours to do, it might take another 6-7 hours. The more experience you have, the better you are at gauging an accurate production schedule. Hope that makes sense.

01-29-2011, 03:59 AM
Software:

Old

I know I understand that I guess I was just trying to get an estimated time cuz I have never personally timed myself. Also just wanted to see what everyone tends to average just out of curiosity.

01-29-2011, 05:05 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

There is no average in programming, my last project was over 300 hours and the one I am on now will be taking some 35 hours. This is because the tasks I am accomplishing are completely different.

01-29-2011, 05:13 AM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

NavySeal

As the others have indicated, you can have a standard formula but the reality is so specific to what you do and the way you work that knowing that this person takes X hours and charges $Y for it simply has no relevance to you.

You might begin to figure out the time part by thinking back on jobs you've completed: What was the time period in which you completed it, from the point you agreed to do it until the point when you and your friend declared it completed? Then, think roughly how much time did you spend on it in that period? Every evening? Maybe 3 evenings a week? All weekend?

This won't be more than an initial guideline but it can help you figure out what or how to charge for your services.

Undercharging is common among people just starting a business. But if you keep logs to track your time, and take the time to analyze them periodically, you'll figure it out. If you don't figure it out eventually you go out of business.