Today's Posts Follow Us On Twitter! TFL Members on Twitter  
Forum search: Advanced Search  
Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,256
Total Threads: 81,169
Total Posts: 566,839
There are 35 users currently browsing (tf).
 
  Our Partners:
 
  TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Complications en route to new forum release.

Thread title: Complications en route to new forum release.
Reply  
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
    Thread tools Search this thread Display Modes  
08-26-2010, 12:05 PM
#21
Oliver is offline Oliver
Oliver's Avatar
Status: Resident Epistemologist
Join date: Jan 2006
Location: London, UK
Expertise: Investment, SEO, Marketing
Software: After Effects, Photoshop, Maya
 
Posts: 1,275
iTrader: 34 / 97%
 

Oliver is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to Oliver

  Old

Originally Posted by Fez View Post
As you have offended a few people here with your words, I wonder if there is any basis for you to say that, other than just plain wanting to insult the members on TFL.
I think you've misinterpreted exactly what Chris was suggesting. He was trying to be constructive, not insult other members. He'd only be insulting himself if it truly was his intention to belittle the talents of the forums designers.

Reply With Quote
08-26-2010, 12:56 PM
#22
Fez is offline Fez
Fez's Avatar
Status: Member
Join date: Jun 2010
Location: Saudi Arabia
Expertise: HTML, CSS, Wordpress, jQuery
Software: e-texteditor
 
Posts: 206
iTrader: 2 / 100%
 

Fez is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Fez

  Old

I don't think saying that the people who have posted in this thread cannot design an "exceptional" skin is constructive.

And yes, talents were belittled.

Reply With Quote
08-26-2010, 02:01 PM
#23
cpr is offline cpr
cpr's Avatar
Status: Request a custom title
Join date: Dec 2005
Location: Staffordshire, UK
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop
 
Posts: 2,410
iTrader: 14 / 100%
 

cpr is an unknown quantity at this point

  Old

If you think they can then fair enough, in my opinion they can't when compared to quality of work the designers I've suggested to Artashes can produce.

I'm not bashing or belittling anyone with my comments, I'm simply stating people who haven't been mentioned in this thread could produce better than the people who have.

Reply With Quote
08-26-2010, 02:22 PM
#24
Dan is offline Dan
Dan's Avatar
Status: Request a custom title
Join date: Feb 2005
Location:
Expertise:
Software:
 
Posts: 3,164
iTrader: 15 / 86%
 

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

  Old

Your reasoning is flawed.

You seem to be under the impression you need a maoosively good designer to bring top-notch work. It doesn't work like that. The way a great design is constructed is through other means.. extensive research, critique, ideologies etc. Most of us are fully capable.

Just take a look at http://hostingdiscussion.com, this is no dig at Artashes nor http://emblematiq.com. How many of you would honestly say your interest would not dwindle should TF get similar visuals?

http://4design.tv, good designer(s) and proven, yet shoved crap out the door. I hope you're getting the jist of this.

I feel obliged to prove those who have little to no faith in our community wrong. (:

Reply With Quote
08-26-2010, 02:27 PM
#25
TaeKwonJoe is offline TaeKwonJoe
TaeKwonJoe's Avatar
Status: Member
Join date: Mar 2006
Location: United States
Expertise: Designing & Programming
Software: Photoshop, Notepad++
 
Posts: 433
iTrader: 3 / 67%
 

TaeKwonJoe is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to TaeKwonJoe Send a message via MSN to TaeKwonJoe Send a message via Skype™ to TaeKwonJoe

  Old

Thank you, Fez.

cpr, being a moderator I wouldn't think you'd be the one to tell the community that their skills aren't worthy of designing the new TF skin. That's very offending in my opinion, and I as a designer do take offense to that.

Several designers here are highly capable of producing the same quality of work as emblematique or any of the other's that Art listed. In the end, it all comes down to the wireframe and briefing provided by the client, with time and money for motivation.

Reply With Quote
08-26-2010, 02:55 PM
#26
Gaz is offline Gaz
Gaz's Avatar
Status: Request a custom title
Join date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Expertise: Code & Programming
Software: Coda, TextMate, Sublime 2
 
Posts: 2,096
iTrader: 26 / 100%
 

Gaz will become famous soon enough Gaz will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to Gaz

  Old

Chris is suggesting hiring professional, i-do-it-all-day freelancers who make a living out of their freelancing. He is justified to say assume that they would produce something better than anybody in this thread/forum 9 times out of 10. This isn't belittling users here, it's just stating something that is obvious. This isn't offensive Fez. It's fact. Professionals, by definition, are better than non-professionals.

Of course there are professionals here (or at least were), and there are many who have the possibility of professionalism here.

4Designs.tv, if they are that good, would not produce shoddy stuff just because a client wants a particular style. A good designer will advise and consult the client. Just saying "oh the client wants it that way" is a crap excuse. It's lazy. Not only that, but not everyone is overkeen on the present skin, designed by him.

If Apple, or Dan, or Fez, or anyone wants to provide some concepts it is well within their right. Get a collab going if you want. If they're good concepts, I'm sure Artashes would love to select them.

Reply With Quote
08-26-2010, 03:19 PM
#27
cpr is offline cpr
cpr's Avatar
Status: Request a custom title
Join date: Dec 2005
Location: Staffordshire, UK
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop
 
Posts: 2,410
iTrader: 14 / 100%
 

cpr is an unknown quantity at this point

  Old

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
You seem to be under the impression you need a maoosively good designer to bring top-notch work. It doesn't work like that. The way a great design is constructed is through other means.. extensive research, critique, ideologies etc. Most of us are fully capable.:
Your idea is flawed. Research, critique etc can get you to a certain level but a persons natural ability, creativeness, type and colour understanding and a whole host of other factors is what sets the barrier between a good designer and an excellent designer.

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Just take a look at http://hostingdiscussion.com, this is no dig at Artashes nor http://emblematiq.com. How many of you would honestly say your interest would not dwindle should TF get similar visuals?
I wouldn't have a problem with a skin like that, I wouldn't call it exceptional, I'm pretty sure Artashes wouldn't either, however looking at Emblematiq's recent work I'm fairly sure he could create something to meet peoples expectations.

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
http://4design.tv, good designer(s) and proven, yet shoved crap out the door. I hope you're getting the jist of this.
I'm not implying from any of my comments that the people suggested are bad designers, many are good but in the end it comes down to the fact that there are better designers available. If Artashes is willing to spend the money on one of these surely people should be happy considering that they'll benefit from a better product in the end?

Originally Posted by Apple View Post
cpr, being a moderator I wouldn't think you'd be the one to tell the community that their skills aren't worthy of designing the new TF skin. That's very offending in my opinion, and I as a designer do take offense to that.
I'll just end up repeating what I've already stated so I'll keep it short - I'm not saying the people here aren't worthy, it's the simple fact that in my opinion better designers are available. By the way I'm a designer myself.

Originally Posted by Apple View Post
Several designers here are highly capable of producing the same quality of work as emblematique or any of the other's that Art listed. In the end, it all comes down to the wireframe and briefing provided by the client, with time and money for motivation.
No there aren't. For example, checkout www.31three.com (one of the people I suggested), if you still honestly think any of the people listed here can match that level you seriously need to wake up and be realistic.

Reply With Quote
08-26-2010, 03:37 PM
#28
TaeKwonJoe is offline TaeKwonJoe
TaeKwonJoe's Avatar
Status: Member
Join date: Mar 2006
Location: United States
Expertise: Designing & Programming
Software: Photoshop, Notepad++
 
Posts: 433
iTrader: 3 / 67%
 

TaeKwonJoe is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to TaeKwonJoe Send a message via MSN to TaeKwonJoe Send a message via Skype™ to TaeKwonJoe

  Old

Alright, I'm not going to argue and debate over who's a better designer. It's up to Artashes who gets chosen, and I'll leave that at that. I've already volunteered to create a concept but I'm still awaiting a reply, so we'll see what happens.

Reply With Quote
08-26-2010, 03:40 PM
#29
thatjamie is offline thatjamie
thatjamie's Avatar
Status: Ruby on Rails Developer
Join date: Oct 2004
Location: England, UK
Expertise: Ruby, Rails, jQuery
Software: Chocolat, Sublime Text 3
 
Posts: 2,340
iTrader: 14 / 94%
 

thatjamie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to thatjamie

  Old

Originally Posted by cpr View Post
Your idea is flawed. Research, critique etc can get you to a certain level but a persons natural ability, creativeness, type and colour understanding and a whole host of other factors is what sets the barrier between a good designer and an excellent designer.



I wouldn't have a problem with a skin like that, I wouldn't call it exceptional, I'm pretty sure Artashes wouldn't either, however looking at Emblematiq's recent work I'm fairly sure he could create something to meet peoples expectations.



I'm not implying from any of my comments that the people suggested are bad designers, many are good but in the end it comes down to the fact that there are better designers available. If Artashes is willing to spend the money on one of these surely people should be happy considering that they'll benefit from a better product in the end?



I'll just end up repeating what I've already stated so I'll keep it short - I'm not saying the people here aren't worthy, it's the simple fact that in my opinion better designers are available. By the way I'm a designer myself.



No there aren't. For example, checkout www.31three.com (one of the people I suggested), if you still honestly think any of the people listed here can match that level you seriously need to wake up and be realistic.
Totally agree with what you just said.

Reply With Quote
08-26-2010, 03:53 PM
#30
Dan is offline Dan
Dan's Avatar
Status: Request a custom title
Join date: Feb 2005
Location:
Expertise:
Software:
 
Posts: 3,164
iTrader: 15 / 86%
 

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

  Old


He is justified to say assume that they would produce something better than anybody in this thread/forum 9 times out of 10. This isn't belittling users here, it's just stating something that is obvious.
You're wrong to express this opinion in the manner you have. It's highly offending and honestly, very belitting. As a member first and foremost, I feel yourself and CPR have let us down.


Your idea is flawed. Research, critique etc can get you to a certain level but a persons natural ability, creativeness, type and colour understanding and a whole host of other factors is what sets the barrier between a good designer and an excellent designer.
It's clear you misread what I wrote so let me rephrase. Firstly, It's the design not designer. A good design is made up of the factors you listed above, what seperates it from others is being ripped apart from every angle, scaling down to perfectly fit ideologies etc.

Just because you have no confidence in your abilites please don't try and rub off the same mindset to others. It's insulting.

Reply With Quote
Reply  
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >


Thread Tools
Display Modes

  Posting Rules  
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump:
 
  Contains New Posts Forum Contains New Posts   Contains No New Posts Forum Contains No New Posts   A Closed Forum Forum is Closed