Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2007 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Hardware Discussion :

Laptop Nightmare

Thread title: Laptop Nightmare
Closed Thread    
12-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Elegant Banners is offline Elegant Banners
Expertise: UI Design
Software: Photoshop, Firefox, Notepad++

Elegant Banners is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Elegant Banners Send a message via Skype™ to Elegant Banners

Old  Laptop Nightmare

I just 'got out of' a laptop nightmare. Basically, I was happily browsing away when I get the most feared "Blue Screen of Death". I thought a simple reboot would sort it out, but how wrong I was.

I rebooted, and it all seemed fine, loaded up fine, and I was back browsing again. Then, a couple minutes later, the laptop shows the screen up again, and wham, it restarts.

A little worried, I decide to go into the start-up options and to a startup repair. No avail. I try a system restore to a day ago, no avail. At this point I got worried and tried every possibility out there to get it to work (including reseating the RAM). No avail.

I was left with one option - format, and re-install Windows. That's what I ended up doing.

I'm now left back at the start - have to re-install Photoshop, and all the other essentials.

Bah, hope I get back on track soon.

12-03-2007, 10:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to Elegant Banners Send a message via Skype™ to Elegant Banners

Old

Update: Even after the re-format, it's done the same thing. Brilliant.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

12-03-2007, 10:45 PM
majorglory is offline majorglory
Software:

majorglory is on a distinguished road

Old

that sucks man.
I guess you lost all your other files too? PSDs and all..

If it happened even after the reformat, it's obviously faulty hardware. Any idea whats causing the BSOD? Do you have any peripherals attached? Any new hardware? Try and find out if its something new you added recently.

If you have absolutely no clue whats causing the BSOD, cross your fingers and hope the laptop is still under warranty.

12-03-2007, 11:15 PM

Old

No new peripherals (well, new ones) attached, I disconnected by graphics tablet that I've been used for months just in case.
I think it might be to do with overheating, so I've shut the system down, and placed it near an open window for a couple minutes. Then I'm going to boot up and test to see if it's overheating.

Update: The laptop is definately heating up very quickly, but that just might be the usual heats it is at.

12-04-2007, 12:52 AM
Lee_ is offline Lee_
Expertise:
Software:

Lee_ is on a distinguished road

Old

I'd imagine it's just heat, laptops get hot very quickly and then randomly shut down (over time, the fans will get full of dust - in turn slowing them down slightly) to 'prevent' further damage.

If it's not a cooling issue, it could be other hardware problems, try running some tests like MemTest86 at startup.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

12-04-2007, 04:51 PM

Old

Originally Posted by LJR View Post
I'd imagine it's just heat, laptops get hot very quickly and then randomly shut down (over time, the fans will get full of dust - in turn slowing them down slightly) to 'prevent' further damage.

If it's not a cooling issue, it could be other hardware problems, try running some tests like MemTest86 at startup.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
Well, I've totally cooled the laptop down, and am using it to see how long it lasts now. Hopefully it's nothing major.

I'll try MemTest86 if it still messes up - thanks for the link LJR!

Closed Thread