Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1335 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Constructive Criticism

Thread title: Constructive Criticism
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
10-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Lauren is offline Lauren
Expertise:
Software:

Lauren is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Lauren

Old  Constructive Criticism

Since I was booted out of the staff without being informed until Rob rang me and told me that I had been removed, I thought I would leave you all some feedback on what was once and great place.

Talkfreelance was once a place where people wanted to be and wanted to work, and I was here everyday working my arse off, not necessarily where I could be seen but I was always doing something for Talkfreelance.

Since Rob sold to Big Zee this place has gone completely downhill, we were promised massive changes and a large amount of funding to be put into Talkfreelance, if these changes and funds have been put into the site, I see no positive differences, and the place has gone completely to ****.
I know I’m not the only one who sees the negative differences in Talkfreelance. Rob made Talkfreelance great and yet through everything he has done for this place, you feel like you can make decisions without him being involved, he is still admin and staff should be told when things are changing, how they are being changed and how it will benefit the community as a whole, this isn’t being done and I believe that Talkfreelance will not survive without Rob’s input, this is evident from the way the Talkfreelance is going since you don’t involve him anymore.

Putting a hierarchical structure into staff makes no difference to anyone except Julian. Having the name “head admin” does what exactly? Rob never needed the title of “head admin” to make himself feel wanted in this community, people went to him because they knew he could sort out their issues, and would always do it in a non patronising way. I feel that the only reason you have done this is to make yourself (Julian) feel like a bigger man. You will never be Rob and even giving yourself a big mans title to boost your ego will never get you anywhere near to what Rob was.

I’m sorry this was so public, but if you had have bothered discussing this with me or other staff connected to me before you kicked me off the staff then this wouldn’t be an issue right now. You should’ve told me and discussed it with me or even Rob first.

I suggest the community finds another place to advertise their business, because Talkfreelance will not be around much longer. The staff here no longer cares about you personally like they did in the early years of Talkfreelance. It means nothing. You mean nothing. Move on.

10-14-2006, 10:47 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

I haven't even commented on the changes that are being made publically yet, I guess this is as good a time as any...yes it's true there is now a hierachy in the staff with Julian being promoted to "head admin" even though there was a thread in which Big Zee said something like....."I hope you all agree with me", Julian then replied straight away saying..."Thanks for the opportunity...as my first job as" I'm sorry? I don't agree with you, so before you make decisions how about informing the staff!

They should never have got rid of you, even though you weren't on much (there are reasons for that) poor communication with the staff being one...but you were as i've mentioned the only person here I speak to, therefore if this place got hacked or spammed or whatever....you would be useful, not anymore though!

I agree with what you're saying, not to give myself a big ego but lets just look at the facts...

1. I hired Julian as a moderator

2. Julian was then promoted to an admin (without ANYONE being told) then he left 2 days later saying he wanted to get back to being just a member. This causes a major argument on talkfreelance which myself and bennett spend cleaning up, without any thanks.

3. Julian returns a month later and changes are being forced upon the community that neither myself, Bennett or other staff members are happy with.

I think it's only fair people know what's going on.

So yes, I'm publically stating right now....I'm not happy with Talkfreelance or the current staff team, structure and ideas for moving forward. I give my ideas and no one listens, i've already said in the admin forum, the only two members of staff who aren't pissed off are Julian and Zee, and if this **** carries on, it's only going to be Julian and Zee left.

Sort it out. Looks like the old team is on the scrap heap!

10-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Andrew R is offline Andrew R
Expertise:
Software:

Andrew R is on a distinguished road

Old

Amen. I'm actually really close to just leaving this forum altogether. The only thing that is stopping me is the marketplace, gallery, and general forums. Pretty sad, eh?

10-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Garyrae is offline Garyrae
Expertise:
Software:

Garyrae is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garyrae Send a message via Skype™ to Garyrae

Old

Originally Posted by AndrewR
Amen. I'm actually really close to just leaving this forum altogether. The only thing that is stopping me is the marketplace, gallery, and general forums. Pretty sad, eh?
Ditto. Except the main thing keeping me here is the marketplace -- About 75% of my business comes from the TFL Marketplace.

10-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Luke is offline Luke
Expertise:
Software:

Luke is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Luke

Old

I agree with what has been said in this thread.

I have been a member of this forum for ages, and registered around the same time as Robson. I know I haven't posted a lot, I enjoy reading threats and only reply when I feel I have something valid to contribute, hence this post. The only sole reason why I have stuck around for so long is the friendly 'feel' this had community, it just kept me coming back.

I care about tf a lot and I have seen it go downhill recently. I believe Big Zee should give more power back to Robson and listen to him more as he was the person who got tf to where it is today. I hope Big Zees takes on board what has been said in this thread.

10-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Digit is offline Digit
Expertise:
Software:

Digit is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Digit Send a message via MSN to Digit

Old

I actually think it's picked back up a little since the time when arguments that were spurting up in every thread. I do beieve the staff is getting a handle on things.

With that being said, I do agree with what people have been saying about this place not moving forward. When BigZee aquired this forum, he said there would be many new things to come. Well since then, BigZee has hired some new staff. He's not running this place, just making a few choices in the Staff Room. I would like to see this place progress, but it doesn't seem like it is. I do not believe it's back up to where it was when Robson owned it. I think something needs to be done. I would add some new features...maybe revamp the market place. I'm a fan of sitepoints newish marketplace.

I do like the idea of having the Photography forum though, and I believe that will bring some more interest from different freelance photographers that wouldn't have come here before, and will make the current inspiring TF photographers post some of their works.

10-14-2006, 04:01 PM
northpark is offline northpark
Expertise:
Software:

northpark is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to northpark

Old

Big Zee's To Do List:
1. Rehire Lauren
2. Be more Social About the Hirings and Firings
3. Give more Power Back to Robson
4. Make better decisions on who to hire (Not saying all are bad, in fact most are a Good Choices)

10-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Here's just a single word for the staff (moreso Zee and Julian) to think about:
"Teamwork"

10-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Lauren is offline Lauren
Expertise:
Software:

Lauren is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Lauren

Old

I don't want to be rehired, I have no time for this anymore. The only way I would ever want to come back or make time for talkfreelance as a member of staff is for Rob. When he was owner or even listened to around here it made people want to work here, he didn't just have one member of staff that did everything and the rest there for appearances, everyone had a specific job eg. Rob was the owner, I was here to deal with questions and complaints and to help think of promotions and competitions such as the christmas contest we ran last year, Patrick was here for fixing things and upgrades... we all had jobs to do.

The whole point of this thread was because I'm not seeing the improvements that have been promised. When I was staff, there was no communication from people who regard themselves higher up than me such as Julian, and I know that Rob is never listened to and I don't want to be associated with a team of people who are just there for appearances and who aren't considered as equals or even at all when it comes to decision making regarding the community, because at the end of the day the only ones who are making the decisions is Julian and maybe occassionally the owner - Big Zee.

I was also pretty pissed off at the way that I had been removed from Talkfreelance as a member of staff. Julian or Big Zee should have contacted me and asked me why I had not been around so much and if I was going to come back and be more active. They could've even asked Rob about it seeings as him and I are very close. But they couldn't manage that. In the real world if someone doesn't show up to work you don't just fire them, you contact them and speak to them. The way I was got rid of is not professional and further proves that you don't give a toss about anyone here, its all about gaining something for yourself, its not the way Talkfreelance should be. I also happen to know that I had been removed as a member of staff and told by Rob over the phone before I was PM'd and informed, it was also a decision made purely by Big Zee and Julian and not by the staff as a whole, it should have been discussed at least before Big Zee and the Head Admin made this decision- this is totally unprofessional.

I think the staff situation and the way that the community is treated as a whole needs to be looked at carefully and discussed properly by staff and community alike or Talkfreelance is going to continue getting worse. I also recommend that the community starts seeing these improvements that they are always being promised.

10-14-2006, 05:42 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

was the owner, I was here to deal with questions and complaints and to help think of promotions and competitions such as the christmas contest we ran last year, Patrick was here for fixing things and upgrades... we all had jobs to do.
Nail on the head really...

The staff team isn't very diverse, in reality, Big Zee is just the owner, he isn't part of the community, he doesn't post, but he should because that's the only way people are going to respect him. Lead from the top, if no one sees the owner participating, the staff won't put in 1/2 as much into their role.

Julian, Seen.to, Bazza, Bennett are great moderators. This is what they do. Julian has so far proved to be a fairly poor administator, with a few botched decisions causing alot of controvosy in the community. Firstly, he started the "website of the week", people entered and spent alot of time and then it just died on it's feet....then there was the banning of Anthony (second highest poster and founder) that caused uproar including a rival forum being started, and now the latest "super moderators" fiasco.

There are no programmers/vb experts on the team, when things need to be done, there is no one available to do it. I had patrickpaul on tf and when there was an issue or a feature request I got it done. So far we've seen hakeem and some other guy, both who didn't do anything! What happened? Nothing. The vb upgrade was first discussed 10 months ago.

Obviously I can't run the promotions I used to because it's not my forum, I don't have money available to me, plus I personally feel...."what's the point?" Big Zee takes everything to Julian, he asks him about what should be done.

What really needs to happen is, bring in someone like Aros, former admin here actually....he would be more use than half the new mods.

I'm not going to say anything else on this, i'll wait for a reply..I don't suspect we'll hear anything till Monday, the admins don't work weekends.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >