Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2766 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     PHP and MySQL :

Xml

Thread title: Xml
Closed Thread    
11-21-2005, 07:27 AM
jono1 is offline jono1
Expertise:
Software:

jono1 is on a distinguished road

Old  Xml

I'm beginning to see the advantages of using XML for data storage as opposed to the old faithul (MySQL). I've got one problem though. With MySQL you get inbuilt security - in order to modify or read the database you need a username and password. How is XML any more secure than just sticking a .txt file in your webspace? I've been hacked before and its I just don't see how you can stop people from going through your site at will and finding and editing the files.

11-21-2005, 10:36 AM
NubKnacker is offline NubKnacker
Software:

NubKnacker is on a distinguished road

Old

I don't know all that much about storing data with XML but I assume when accessing an XML file you will need to provide some sort of a key that will grant access to the data.

11-21-2005, 12:37 PM
jono1 is offline jono1
Expertise:
Software:

jono1 is on a distinguished road

Old

I think i've decided not to bother...XML is nice, but looking at all the tutorials and stuff i've found on it, managing it is absolute hell...

11-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Jhin is offline Jhin
Expertise:
Software:

Jhin is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to Jhin Send a message via AIM to Jhin Send a message via MSN to Jhin Send a message via Yahoo to Jhin

Old

Well, so far the only advantage I see in using XML is that you can use XML without needing ASP or PHP available on your server. If you have access to those I really don't see any reason for using XML.

If anyone can post some good examples of when and why you would use XML I'd appreciate it...I need to teach it in a few months and I'm having difficulty finding something to be excited about with XML...

11-21-2005, 03:56 PM
iisbum is offline iisbum
Expertise:
Software:

iisbum is on a distinguished road

Old

You could put the XML data into a table in MySQL

12-06-2005, 02:33 AM
echoSwe is offline echoSwe
Software:

echoSwe is on a distinguished road

Old

There are huge differences. It all depends on what you're gonna use the data for. For static data that doesn't have to be manipulated, XML is a markup that can be passed from e.g. php to perl to .net and still contain and show the same stuff.
So it's great for web services, and passing though tiers.

You can rather easily install a httpmodule or modify the server-settings, not to let .xml files be gotten withour requiring authorisation.

Using a databases allows for relations. It allows for stored procedures. It allows for SQL. Data is easily gotten. Databases are mostly used for data storage. XML is more of an intermediate language - to use if you don't know what type of tier comes next. Hence asynchronos javascripting and xml and not asynchronos javascripting and tables; because then the data is language specific.

recommended read:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...tml/boagag.asp

12-10-2005, 02:14 AM
ShytKicker is offline ShytKicker
Software:

ShytKicker is on a distinguished road

Old

Depending on what you are using for, one is better than the other. Obviously, for sharing data remotely, you can be placing the data in an xml file, but alternatively, you can be using a webservices as well, which would be the prefered method.

You can save xml files as server-side files such as .asp or .php or whatever language you usually use, and then include it, or find a way so that only your server internally can call it and nobody else.

But if you are using it for yourself, there really is no advantage to xml files. I would say stick with MySQL client.

Closed Thread