Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1138 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Marketplace     Services Offered / Looking to Hire     Programming or Coding :

Looking for a quote on a search bar

Thread title: Looking for a quote on a search bar
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
01-10-2007, 09:57 PM
sirjavabean is offline sirjavabean
Expertise:
Software:

sirjavabean is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to sirjavabean

Old

I am interested in both the jobs that you mentioned. PM sent.

01-11-2007, 12:20 AM
Wildhoney is offline Wildhoney
Expertise:
Software:

Wildhoney is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Wildhoney Send a message via MSN to Wildhoney Send a message via Yahoo to Wildhoney

Old

My quote for this project would be $385. Which would, as aforementioned, use a 3NF database. Based on the harvesting of HTML files every so often by a cron set-up and compiling frequently occurring keywords for compiling the database structure. Super-fast search, easy to use, and no administrator intervention, and thus keeping your cheeky little paws free to work on other things of perhaps a little more importance and opulence.

01-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Xi0s is offline Xi0s
Expertise:
Software:

Xi0s is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Xi0s

Old

So, you can have a full cms for my $400, with a search included, or you can have the sloppy HTML fopen database, for wildhoneys undercut price =/ dont think he understood why I quoted $400.

01-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Send a message via AIM to Wildhoney Send a message via MSN to Wildhoney Send a message via Yahoo to Wildhoney

Old

Xi0s, I'm not using "sloppy HTML fopen" for the end user. It's much more technical than that, and if we're resulting to harsh personal digs now, which isn't at all appreciated, then it's much more technical than yours. I've coded numerous CMSs similar to this for many corporations while freelancing at several locally based companies. Please at least attempt to fathom my explanations.

If you care for a serious debate about this, which I can imagine would be absolutely scintillating for the mind, then add me to MSN. Albeit, careful with the digs.

01-11-2007, 01:32 PM
KarlP is offline KarlP
Software:

KarlP is on a distinguished road

Old

XiOs, I work along side Wildhoney so I feel obliged to comment. I can see absolutely no advantage from doing this relatively straight forward task your way, you seem only to make this task more difficult to implement, which in turn will take longer and cost the client more money. If you're some sort of cowboy then that's the way forward, but we're not. While parsing the HTML documents, you can add weight to specific keywords and key phrases, depending on the tags which encapsulate them.

The solution offered by Wildhoney is practical, Why over-complicate a task? Admittedly parsing HTML documents is not the most efficient solution, but when you weigh the amount of processing required for parsing HTML versus the frequency of processing (i.e. in this situation processing will only be required every x hours/days/weeks/etc.) then the slight performance loss from using this method is irrelevant.

And afterall, this method is fine for companies such as Google, so why not for this situation?

01-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Xi0s is offline Xi0s
Expertise:
Software:

Xi0s is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Xi0s

Old

Lets not forget google has no choice, but anyways, I just have a problem with him undercutting me by like a small amount just to get the job lol, but w.e the client should decide what he wants.

01-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Garyrae is offline Garyrae
Expertise:
Software:

Garyrae is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garyrae Send a message via Skype™ to Garyrae

Old

Originally Posted by Xi0s
Lets not forget google has no choice, but anyways, I just have a problem with him undercutting me by like a small amount just to get the job lol, but w.e the client should decide what he wants.
I'm pretty sure Wildhoney doesn't even need to undercut you. Since he's one of the most reputable coders on this forum.

Also, if someone is about to spend $385-400 on a search function, I'd imagine $15 isn't going to sway their choice of coder at all.

01-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

It's always worthwhile to have a good chat about the way to implement certain features. As for the undercutting of the price, it wasn't my intention as we have 2 distinct ways of implementing the feature, but naturally, you should get used to competing for projects in this freelance business nonetheless. It's the name of the game, unfortunately, and it's also the same throughout life.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2