Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1150 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     Web Design Resources :

Yaxay - don't bother

Thread title: Yaxay - don't bother
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
03-31-2005, 08:36 PM
seen.to is offline seen.to
Expertise:
Software:

seen.to is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by web
Here is seen.to's entry: http://forum.yaxay.com/showthread.php?t=36986

Make your own assumptions, but I can sympathize with Salathe. Usually people get paid $30 for an hour's work if they are a professional in their field. This obviously took less than 10 seconds to do and I don't see much thought/quality in the photo anyways. I would understand seen.to's argument if their was a symbolic/incentive to his posting the photo but obviously it is just for the money. Whatever, just my viewpoints on this.

Regards,
Matt
The theme was easter. My 11 month old son made the egg in my photo, for easter. Therefore the photograph is symbolic of easter.

Thought went into as I decided what to use in my submission. I first wrote the name yaXay using mini easter eggs - but it looked terrible. I considered taking photographs of people going to church wearing their 'easter best' but decided against it. I thought about a photo of Christ on the cross. I pondered a shot of the masses of easter candy available in Wal-Mart.

As a proud father I decided to use my son's egg as the subject of my entry and took several macro shots of it before deciding on which one to use.

I'd thank you not to make assumptions as to the reasoning behind my entry, or the effort put into it, without first making yourself aware of the facts.

03-31-2005, 08:41 PM
nykoelle is offline nykoelle
Expertise:
Software:

nykoelle is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to nykoelle

Old

It's a tricky situation, though I doubt anything would be done about it. Don't let it discourage you next time though, just ask what the terms are about participation before you dedicate time. I guess more than anything its an example of that for everyone.

03-31-2005, 08:43 PM
FiveInteractive is offline FiveInteractive
Expertise:
Software:

FiveInteractive is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to FiveInteractive Send a message via MSN to FiveInteractive

Old

Yes nykoelle that is true, but this is about principles, not the money.
it was clearly stated that the winner of the competition would received 30 us dollars. No buts or ifs. There was no disclaimer within that and it could be seen that seen.to was entering into a written agreement. By participating in that contest he entered into the chance of winning the money, with no terms on a limit to the amount of contestants. The emphasis is that he has spent his time preparing for this contest and should not be disqualified on the back of others.

03-31-2005, 08:49 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

personally, this is what you get for entering in contests. you played the risk, you lost this time. it happens. it's out of your control now.

if you didn't know sean, at least half or more of the regulars here appear on yaxay, so if you take a contst here, odds are, it wouldn't be any better if all the people at yaxay make bad contests.

this and a few other reasons are why i don't participate in forum contests unless it's just for fun. but that's just my $0.02.

03-31-2005, 10:04 PM
web is offline web
Software:

web is on a distinguished road

Old

I made the assumption because if it wasn't solely for the money you wouldn't care if he paid you or not. You would understand his predicament and the reasoning behind his actions. It's not a haneous crime; IT IS a just decision and I support it fully. It wasn't even an event, you had no competition thus there cannot theoretically be a winner. Besides, if this was a contest holder of a $350 webdesign contest and only one person entered a mediocre design, it would be just for us to say that there was no actual contest and the holder does therefore not have to concede in paying that one person. We aren't being biased, it's just something that happens to everyone. Now, if you were in it for the fun and experience, you'd take the compliments and leave it at that. If he did decide to pay you, it would be at the utmost kindness. If he does not decide to pay you, I would have to say that he has a valid reasoning behind it. I contemplated entering, and even had some photos I could've entered. I knew I might have won at least a few bucks, but I realized it wasn't worth it and I figured it'd be best if Salathe would just save his money for something better.

Regards,
Matt

03-31-2005, 10:15 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

You make some good points Matt, lets try not to turn this into a Yaxay vs Tf war. I agree with both parties to some extent, I just feel that there should have been some ground rules in place before the contest.

03-31-2005, 10:23 PM
web is offline web
Software:

Old

Oh but of course, Robson. I'm sure Peter expected a better turnout, and offered this as more of a leisure event rather than a formal, professional event. I would hope that we'd not have to spend 5 hours contemplating all possible outcomes on such an informal event. But then again, I guess some people are very (some would say overly) strict on these issues.

Regards,
Matt

03-31-2005, 10:27 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

If he offered this as a leisure event then why the cash prize, cash obviously attracts people, or the person in this case who wants it.

Bad form by Salathe.

03-31-2005, 10:32 PM
web is offline web
Software:

Old

Because, it was offered in order to attract the members of yaXay to perform in a fun and leisurely event (which, I must add, did not happen the way it was intended). If you go to a carnival, do you care more about the prizes or the unforgetable moments and amounts of fun you have with your friends? Just because there are prizes offered at the carnival does not make it a formal and professional occasion.

03-31-2005, 10:36 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

Nope, but it means theres a purpose to the game / contest.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >