Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1250 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     Web Design Resources :

How much do you charge?

Thread title: How much do you charge?
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
02-01-2006, 07:04 PM
kork is offline kork
Software:

kork is on a distinguished road

Old

I charge $60/hour. I also get a lot of work. Here's the next question then? Who's purchased their software to be able to work in the indutry? With Photoshop sitting at around $1k, how can anyone afford not to charge more? I spent $6k this year on software alone.

02-01-2006, 07:10 PM
kork is offline kork
Software:

Old

Looks to me that in all the age profiles of almost everyone is under 18... No offence of course. Gotta start somewhere, I just didn't think a freelance forum would be populated mainly by highschool students. Therefor, Me thinks I'm in the wrong forum.

P.S. For anyone interested in how to make real money in web design, I'm tracking my freelance experiences at www.realmoneywebdesign.com

For all the lowballers out there, charge more since it's a career. None of this $10-$15/hour... it brings down the industry.

Cheers all and good luck

02-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Jeff Andersen is offline Jeff Andersen
Software:

Jeff Andersen is on a distinguished road

Old

No need to come in here and start dissing people, even though you mean no offence, but you haven't been here long enough to see the character of the site. Many, if not all of TF members are mature and professional people even though they're of a younger age. It's a very nice community, i'm sorry you feel that way.

02-01-2006, 07:21 PM
kork is offline kork
Software:

Old

no, you misunderstand. Professional perhaps and quite possible very mature. But at the same time, supplying professional services for such a low amount of money is lowballing the industry. I have no worries, I'm busy and get paid very well.

However, I've also seen clients who waste my time thinking they can have a website for a couple hundred dollars. As I said, Nothing wrong with it, but it DOES hurt the industry at a professional level. It would be like dentists charging $20 for a root canal...

It may be a great community, BUT I'm not going to highschool proms anymore either. Best of luck to all! Web design 101 = Know your niche

02-01-2006, 07:29 PM
echoSwe is offline echoSwe
Software:

echoSwe is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by kork
no, you misunderstand. Professional perhaps and quite possible very mature. But at the same time, supplying professional services for such a low amount of money is lowballing the industry. I have no worries, I'm busy and get paid very well.

However, I've also seen clients who waste my time thinking they can have a website for a couple hundred dollars. As I said, Nothing wrong with it, but it DOES hurt the industry at a professional level. It would be like dentists charging $20 for a root canal...

It may be a great community, BUT I'm not going to highschool proms anymore either. Best of luck to all! Web design 101 = Know your niche
I think you got a very valid point here. For example in Sweden the normal wage for a developer who has finished university studies as either a master of science or a system's architecht (informatics) should have a wage around 25,000-30,000 SEK per month (40 h) - by doing very cheap work these wages deteriorate and in the long run it will hurt the industry to some extent - talented people crave much money for their services, naturally.

Personally my lowest rate per hour is 250 kr (around €27/h) (double $15) - but then again - I have no formal education YET.

02-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

I quote per project, if I am ever asked to work in house my price would be £20 per hour.

02-01-2006, 08:58 PM
echoSwe is offline echoSwe
Software:

echoSwe is on a distinguished road

Old

Anthony: yes, that's a good price, isn't it? ...

02-01-2006, 09:29 PM
MattL is offline MattL
Expertise:
Software:

MattL is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to MattL

Old

Originally Posted by kork
Looks to me that in all the age profiles of almost everyone is under 18... No offence of course. Gotta start somewhere, I just didn't think a freelance forum would be populated mainly by highschool students. Therefor, Me thinks I'm in the wrong forum.

P.S. For anyone interested in how to make real money in web design, I'm tracking my freelance experiences at www.realmoneywebdesign.com

For all the lowballers out there, charge more since it's a career. None of this $10-$15/hour... it brings down the industry.

Cheers all and good luck
As with any industry, there will always be individuals who do things that bring it down which you have stated about the freelance community and people who are charging small sums per hour. But there is nothing you can do about it, other than know your abilities, your skill, and charge what you see fit for your work. Getting upset at people who are charging less than what you see is a proper price for freelance work will not solve the problem. Remember that you get what you pay for; and obviously the price a person is charging will reflect the quality of work they will produce. So I do not see any reason you should be worried about the "lowballers".

02-01-2006, 09:43 PM
sniper101 is offline sniper101
Expertise:
Software:

sniper101 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to sniper101

Old

Originally Posted by Jeff Andersen
Since i'm 16, do this as a hobby not for "the most revenue possible", and only in my spare time i charge 15-20$ per hour depending on what i am doing.
All of that is the same with me but the Charge Would be like 25$ to 30$ depending on what Size site Im doing

02-01-2006, 09:44 PM
kork is offline kork
Software:

Old

I'm not worried in the least for my own sake, but for the future of the industry... I have a steady stream of clients. That said, Before I quote a project, I now ask a potential client to indicate what their budget is up front. I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time. What software does everyone here charging $15/hour use? surely a design gets created in something other than MS Paint?

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >