Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1585 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Web Hosting and Domain Names :

Quick Question about Hosting

Thread title: Quick Question about Hosting
Closed Thread    
07-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Drew is offline Drew
Software:

Drew is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Drew

Old  Quick Question about Hosting

I was just wondering what all of you running your own hosting companies would recommend purchasing to start up.

The main question is Reseller or Dedicated Server?

and then where do you get the best value for pricing?

Thanks.

07-18-2007, 03:17 AM
.amaZe is offline .amaZe
Expertise:
Software:

.amaZe is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

It depends on your current capital and your business plans.

If you do not have enough money to start out big, then go for a reseller. But, resellers can have its shortcomings. For instance, many customers like to see a host name's branded in the nameservers, and seeing someone else's name in the nameservers might discourage them. Also some resellers, don't come with sufficient space nor bandwidth, and if they do it will be costly.

But, if you have enough money I would suggest a dedicated server. Dedicater Servers allow for complete root access. But, there are many things you have to take in affect. For instance, downtime is something every host might have to go up against. Breaking your goals, because dedicated's can be very costly, and the average starter hosts can sometimes not maintain it.

I would suggest www.surpasshosting.com for both resellers and dedicated's.

07-18-2007, 04:18 AM
KenK is offline KenK
Software:

KenK is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to KenK Send a message via MSN to KenK

Old

Just to startup, I suggest going with a reseller. When (or if) you get enough customers, update to a dedicated server.

07-18-2007, 08:10 AM
travolta is offline travolta
Software:

travolta is on a distinguished road

Old

I'd advise you to start from the reseller account. There are many companies that may give you cheap reselling (247-host.com - $1.99 per month, *********.com - $2.95 per 3 months). And later when you have many clients and much experience you may buy a dedi.

07-23-2007, 09:58 AM
mackad is offline mackad
Software:

mackad is on a distinguished road

Old

The reseller option is good as there are hosts offering free first month services or serious discounts, and you'll hardly find anything like that with dedicated offers. Correct me if I'm wrong here .
You haven't written anything about your server administration skills, but reseller accounts are managed for you, there's definitely a question of how well they managed and doesn't your upstream provider outsource support from somebody else, but trial period can sovle all the problems.
*********.com plans has just looots of standard and advanced features, as well as free scripts.
The host i'm with at the moment ********.biz offers reselling plans as well with lots of unlimited features, no that's not about disk space and bandwidth.

09-05-2007, 08:40 AM
bendavis is offline bendavis
Software:

bendavis is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by mackad View Post
The reseller option is good as there are hosts offering free first month services or serious discounts, and you'll hardly find anything like that with dedicated offers. Correct me if I'm wrong here .
You haven't written anything about your server administration skills, but reseller accounts are managed for you, there's definitely a question of how well they managed and doesn't your upstream provider outsource support from somebody else, but trial period can sovle all the problems.
*********.com plans has just looots of standard and advanced features, as well as free scripts.
The host i'm with at the moment ********.biz offers reselling plans as well with lots of unlimited features, no that's not about disk space and bandwidth.
I agree with the above-said and I'd add that their tech support works fast and quality and their live chat is really 24/7.

09-06-2007, 04:52 AM
jjmac is offline jjmac
Software:

jjmac is on a distinguished road

Old

My advice is to avoid getting into a business that anyone with $3 startup capitol can compete in

If you must, I would recommend starting off with reseller. Save your money for advertising, and don't advertise to tech people. Plenty of small businesses need good hosting, and they tend not to try to "mess" with stuff. Just my 2 cents.

09-06-2007, 09:26 AM
PixelDawn is offline PixelDawn
Expertise:
Software:

PixelDawn is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to PixelDawn

Old

Start off with a reseller, there are many companies that offer private label resellers, such as your own nameservers, and a host name which wouldn't make it obvious that you're reselling.

A good host which offers the above is www.rshosting.com. They are aimed specifically towards resellers, their plans are slightly expensive, although you get what you pay for

P.S. - I think you can request them for a custom quote.

Closed Thread