Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1668 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     The Gallery Showcase :

IT-DIY.co.uk

Thread title: IT-DIY.co.uk
11-28-2009, 11:53 PM
scrappy is offline scrappy
Expertise:
Software:

scrappy is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to scrappy

Old  IT-DIY.co.uk

Ok, this is a first draft of a design for my own IT Support website. I already have the domain and hosting, but have only just got round to getting an initial layout mocked up for it.

I would love some honest comments on this one if you don't mind please. Criticism is allowed, as long as it is constructive.

Link to the image

11-29-2009, 11:30 AM
santa is offline santa
Expertise: Design, HTML
Software: Espresso, Photoshop, Mail.app

santa is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to santa Send a message via AIM to santa Send a message via MSN to santa Send a message via Yahoo to santa Send a message via Skype™ to santa

Old

Maybe try using some more spacing, make the fonts smaller, inject a bit of colour, and using a grid would improve it, but I'm not sure, since I don't have the PSD myself. Nice job, anyway.

11-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Peter Avey is offline Peter Avey
Expertise:
Software:

Peter Avey is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to Peter Avey

Old

I think your hearts in the right place and you know what you want / what looks good, but you've just need to gain skill and pickup trends.

Take a look at websites that look nice and just try to recreate them or recreate parts of it like navigation etc. You'll be a good designer in a few years!

11-29-2009, 09:10 PM
scrappy is offline scrappy
Expertise:
Software:

scrappy is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to scrappy

Old

This is only the fourth design I have done in photoshop and I'm still trying to learn my way round it all.

I have been following some online tutorials to learn a bit more; but don't want to rip them off in any way for my own designs.

Like Peter says above it is all about gaining skills and learning to create a specific look. I just though I could get some good feedback on what it is I could change on these designs to help it look a bit better.

The problem I have is that I have a ton of ideas, but I don't have the skill required (YET) to create them.

I will keep practising; but right now I am trying to learn CSS at the same time so it limits the amount of time I have available.

11-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

The concept is good, but the design itself has some issues. I'll start with the good first though. The logo is superb, it is unique and original. The general layout is also very good, the content is accessible and easy to navigate.

The downsides are that the font is a little plain and the grey centered top just looks a little plain.

I really think you are going in the right direction here, you seem like quite a talented designer.