Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1772 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Other Programming Languages :

Your thoughts on AJAX? Is it worth it?

Thread title: Your thoughts on AJAX? Is it worth it?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
07-06-2008, 10:44 PM
HBZSoftware.com is offline HBZSoftware.com
Software:

HBZSoftware.com is on a distinguished road

Old  Your thoughts on AJAX? Is it worth it?

We've been developing with CakePHP and have considered using AJAX to improve usability.

However, for something like AJAX comments, is it really worth the 150kb of AJAX libs the user must load? (jQuery, Scriptaculous, Prototype)

07-07-2008, 04:07 AM
cpf is offline cpf
Expertise:
Software:

cpf is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to cpf Send a message via Skype™ to cpf

Old

I'm guilty of indulging in scriptaculous, and I believe that, if used well, it is worth the extra downloads. I'm thinking just for AJAX comments, you could do the same thing with about 1/10th of that file (most of the effects, etc you do not use).
However for pages with more extensive use of AJAX/JS in general, the full library would be justified. Pages that, IMO, are justified for prototype (and such) are pages with many tedious fields to fill (password...) like signup forms, where the user doesn't want to wait for the page to reload to know that the username is took, or that their passwords do not match.

07-16-2008, 02:00 AM
v-a-l-o-r is offline v-a-l-o-r
Software:

v-a-l-o-r is on a distinguished road

Old

Definitely. Alot of web users (not developers) are drawn to the factors and thats one of the main factors that makes a site popular. Additionally they can save you alot of code writing.

For example if you want to have input values change and such (i.e. like the login panel in the left when you are logged out), in html the long code will look like the following:
Code:
<input value="username" onfocus="if (this.value == 'username') {this.value = '';}" onblur="if (this.value == '') {this.value = 'username';}" type="text">
Now if you are using jQuery lets say, the html is shortend to the following:

$(document).ready(function() {
$('.field').click(
function() {
if (this.value == this.defaultValue) {
this.value = '';
}
}
);
$('.field').blur(
function() {
if (this.value == '') {
this.value = this.defaultValue;
}
}
);
});

HTML:
<input type="text" class="field" name="username" value="username" />
Ofcourse you have to declare it prior but cleaner HTML code.

In todays day and age, almost everyone has fast internet and if they don't, then most likely they aren't worth the trouble, thats my take on it.

Anyways libraries can be used to add effects that make a site more interesting.

07-19-2008, 02:01 AM
infinivert is offline infinivert
Expertise: Design, PHP, JS, HTML5, CSS3
Software:

infinivert is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to infinivert

Old

I just spent a good bit of time building a custom simple CMS system, and I used a good bit of AJAX (Prototype / Scriptaculous) in the back-end interface, and it has made a huge difference in usability.

You have to think that your users aren't really worried about how much data they're downloading. They're thinking about time. So a page with some strategic AJAX controls may take a few extra seconds to load initially, but the way AJAX lets users continue to work on other parts of a page while form data is submitted actually saves them time.

I've definitely seen AJAX misused, but I think that if it is used wisely, it can make life easier on your users, and that's the point.

--Josh

08-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Raphy is offline Raphy
Expertise:
Software:

Raphy is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Raphy Send a message via MSN to Raphy Send a message via Skype™ to Raphy

Old

AJAX stopped being a nice thing to have but a necessary web platform that needs to be used otherwise your left behind the curve. Reloading / refreshing is old.

08-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

The correct and proper use of AJAX (and the recognition of using such a combination of technologies) was indeed a worthwhile step forward (introducing a number of backward stumbles as well!) for the web and it would be silly to ignore its place in today's web technology sphere. That said, perhaps the original poster could do with a little sideways thinking (or, indeed, directly under your feet thinking) since the main cited problem against using AJAX is simply that one "must" (over)load the web site with large libraries. The solution? Just don't use those large libraries! (Not really an inspired piece of advice but worth making note of.) There are countless alternatives (including the old home-brew approach) available to provide a firm base for rapid AJAX development which might require a couple of kilobytes or less cf. those larger frameworks.

If you really want to make use of the larger frameworks, there are a whole heap of performancing steps which can be undertaken to help reduce some of the problems encountered in the past (large library size included) if you're interested.

08-29-2008, 07:28 PM
ditch182 is offline ditch182
Expertise:
Software:

ditch182 is on a distinguished road

Old

I tend to think that AJAX is overused. Certainly it has it's place, and can make real improvements to usability. But, I think it's just become another buzzword, and people throw it in anywhere they can. I've actually had clients say they want AJAX, even though they don't know what it is.

03-02-2009, 03:14 AM
doltter is offline doltter
Software:

doltter is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to doltter Send a message via Yahoo to doltter Send a message via Skype™ to doltter

Old

infact, the ajax is very simple. why you use the lib of jquery or something? I just use myself ajax framework. simple and easy.

04-04-2009, 05:13 PM
djdeth is offline djdeth
Software:

djdeth is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to djdeth Send a message via MSN to djdeth Send a message via Yahoo to djdeth Send a message via Skype™ to djdeth

Old

If you are concerned about file size, then don't use a framework. Otherwise I would recommend jQuery.

04-10-2009, 06:48 AM
vipdistinct is offline vipdistinct
Software:

vipdistinct is on a distinguished road

Old

Yeah, I don't think it's necessary that you have AJAX on there. But then again it really depends on what the website is for and who your target audience is. If this audience is someone who is used to seeing and using websites with AJAX then you might consider it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >