Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1650 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

are kids freelancers?

Thread title: are kids freelancers?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
02-10-2006, 02:19 PM
zprod69 is offline zprod69
Expertise:
Software:

zprod69 is on a distinguished road

Old  are kids freelancers?

this is my last post,i just realize what experience i had have in a so called professional freelancer forum.

you got to be joking, taking advices from 15 years old kids!

yes kids not freelancers and whoever is trying to argue with me is ever a pedophile or a kids labor exploiter .Kids do not work,they learn,they have fun but you got to sick if you trust a business with serious money or let's say public trust into the hands of a kid. Where are we going here?

Their brain is not fully formed yet, they are going to disrespect the older person, that's the way it is ! Do you remember? That's the way i was , and it is a healthy thing kids thinks we are uncool that 's it we are the old farts, and nothing good can come out of an older man's mouth that is ever boring .ridiculous

or outdated. Let's be honest here. This forum to attract serious freelancing topics and adult exchange about work should be age limited and certified. You just cant talk seriously to a kid about adult stuff. You got to be killing! They would stay and listen 5 minutes then next they would tell you how you are wrong and how so far your life has been worthless. It is a physiologic fact..

i do understand now why the serious professional organization 1. charge a terrible amount of money

2.create a barrier to keep kids out.

If you are outsourcing out of your country and you do not know who really you are talking to, and give a job to someone in india you could talk to a 14 years old and trust them with your life line. That not only foolish but to me illegal , being a kids are mean to have fun to enjoy the moment not to work. Ye s ome kids know stuff about specific software. Does that means that you can trust them with your business?

I just realize that i have been caught in an exchange(heated one with kids , telling me that i am not a designer) who are they to tell me that? Disguised under pseudonyms hiding most of the time ,their age.

Replying to you with wikkis and Latin citation!

Now i am angry! Of myself for having fell for it! So if the owner of this site has any sense at all , they should make a age verification and identity verification for getting on into this site. To protect adults from being systematically spammed

look at your statistics what is your age average? Do you think that's reflect the age average of a professional freelancer community? Not seriously. So why dont they come to your site? Because you are invaded by kids disrespectful one This is my last post in this community, you change the rules you can contact me again. and i would love to help and participate until then farewell and good luck.

Paul.

02-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Zafar Ahmed is offline Zafar Ahmed
Software:

Zafar Ahmed is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Zafar Ahmed

Old

Hi Paul ,

I'm not a freelancer but I somehow agree with you as I had this bad experience with 14 years old kid and I won't tell you the whole story. It's just that they can't be trusted at all however , I do not agree on certain points of yours. Well , Experience doesn't really come with the age , freelancing is more like a passion , like playing guitar is a passion for teen just like that freelancing is a passion for everyone and atleast they are making some money out of , I know paul that you had bad experience with kids but that's your own problem. If you think they are not really worth of doing business with them then you shouldn't even talk with them and move on with your life.

How can you say that? I mean if I was at your age I would be couraging those kids for doing such outrageous job as being a freelancer! , It's good they are doing it at such young age that when they get into working age , they will be filled with SKILLS !

I hope you understand.

Regards,
Zafar Ahmed

02-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Aros is offline Aros
Expertise:
Software:

Aros is on a distinguished road

Old

How will a person learn if they can't access places offering information?

You keep blaming this all on age, on the internet age isn't a factor to be trusted. A person could be 12 and put his age in his profile to 48. This doesn't mean that person will be respected, respect comes from the person not a number.

You have gotten many constructive suggestions regarding your websites, sure some were a bit blatant but you should be able to see beyond it and improve your work. If not, that's fine ofcourse but don't attack anyone for it.

Perhaps TalkFreelance isn't the right place for you, I don't know.

02-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Jdinh04 is offline Jdinh04
Expertise: Project Management
Software:

Jdinh04 is on a distinguished road

Old

Please don't take me as a person who likes to joke. Web design and development has been a serious intrest that I have, and have a passion for. I've been in this intrest for at least 2 years, I started off using freewebs to start of my homepage and later on moved to my own hosting and domain. I can see where you guys are looking at in terms of minor freelancers who does not maintain a consistent stability to do their work and respect towards others.

I began freelancing as a part time job to earn funds to support other hobbies that I have, I have made several sites with sucess. However, the sites that I made at the time were the best that I can do, but now today when I look at them, I have learned so much and able to re-create new designs that I have learned.

02-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Zafar Ahmed is offline Zafar Ahmed
Software:

Zafar Ahmed is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Zafar Ahmed

Old

Hi ,

I just gone through your website and I think a 12 years old can make much better website than that.

No Hard Feelings!

Regards,
Zafar Ahmed.

02-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Impluo is offline Impluo
Expertise: programming
Software: Notepad

Impluo is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by zprod69
Replying to you with wikkis and Latin citation!
I assume you are referring to me when you say Latin citation. I know it is in The Requiem but I have it in my signature because it is in one of my favorite songs "A Fool's Paradise" by Symphony X . About 6 years ago it was the first song I heard in the Power Metal / Progressive Metal genre, I loved it, and it opened me up to this genre of music that I had never heard before. If I hadn't heard that song I'd probally still be listening to some System of a Down crap or something since power metal gets little recognition in the US.

I guess I could be one of the rude ones, have I been rude? Maybe it was the way my art teachers taught me to criticise. When our projects were due he would put up the piece infront of the room (without mentioning the creators name) and everyone in the room would have to say atleast one good and bad thing about it. The creators name was not mentioned because he wanted his students to say what they actually felt instead of holding back their opinions if anyone was friends with the creator. We were taught not to sugarcoat anything and just say it like it is. I know some things I can say are blatant but I don't know what the line is where my criticism turns into rudeness.

Lastly if some kid wants to learn webdesign it would be best to start young and then they would have much greater knowledge then than entering later when they become an adult and have no idea where to start. If you think that having someone of that age work is exploitation just look at child labor laws. Look at your local newspaper and check out the ages they hire... most newspapers in the U.S. will hire people as young as 9 years old to deliver newspapers. Then look at the wages they recieve...not sure what it is anywhere else but when I was younger and had a few paper routes I had around 148 houses to deliver to and I would have to deliver papers to those houses 5 days a week, most holidays I didn't have to deliver, and I only recieved ~$150 a month.

Sure at the time I didn't really care because it only took around an hour a day and it was easy money for me but looking back on how much they pay you it is pure exploitation.

02-10-2006, 03:43 PM
1901gt is offline 1901gt
Expertise: Web Design, XHTML/CSS
Software: Photoshop, Illustrator

1901gt is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Originally Posted by Diesel
Hi ,

I just gone through your website and I think a 12 years old can make much better website than that.

No Hard Feelings!

Regards,
Zafar Ahmed.
Mine's way better than his too. And I'm only 21 and started freelancing a year ago.

02-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Spawny is offline Spawny
Expertise:
Software:

Spawny is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Spawny Send a message via MSN to Spawny

Old

A lot of us "kids" aren't freelancers though, we are here to learn and help people out with whatever we know, sorry if our age offends you but you were our age once.

02-10-2006, 03:56 PM
kork is offline kork
Software:

kork is on a distinguished road

Old

*ahem, I made a post a few days ago and after a ton of responses from kids under 18, I initially decided that I was in the wrong place. I'm a career professional and do this for a living and pay my own mortgage.

That said, I've also been reading some of the other posts and one thing I do find is this. Kids are great at finding free or cheap things on the web which I don't have the time to look for. If I wan't free stock photos for a quick job, guess what? Some kid here will most likely know where to find them... It's actually an interesting resource.

The other consideration (And I rememebr when I was 16) was that I didn't waste my time at work. I wasted it playing on the Internet and I knew a whole lot more about tech than I do now. Now 8 hours a day I need to work for a living. I'm getting much better about business, but to the sacrifice of technology. I've found the stuff on this forum to be quite decent. The only thing I don't agree with is many of the rates that the kids are charging, but then again. Doesn't really matter because my clients are different than a kids clients. No better, no worse, just different.(Mr. Andersen, You know who you are so DON'T ATTACK ME for that comment!) =)

NOW, the one thing that I can agree on is that a forum called "Talk Freelance" is kindof indicating career freelancers. I've been a student for a long long time and I never considered myself a freelancer who could dispense industry advice. Freelance is 20% skill, and 80% business so to have a forum swamped with kids, kindof feels odd since they have very little business experience. You can argue all you want, but Freelance web design is a career, hobby web design is not and that's what it seems a lot of people here do. I guess it's a mixed bag of stuff. No worries though. It's all good.

P.S For what it's worth, one reason I'm sticking around is cause I like the green in the forums colours = )

02-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Mattsquires is offline Mattsquires
Software:

Mattsquires is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by adiboy
Mine's way better than his too. And I'm only 21 and started freelancing a year ago.
i would have to say... im 16 and my site, and a lot of the sites i have made are better than that, i think hes mad because a lot of skilled 15-16 year olds are making money, and have more talent than him.

Matt

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >