Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1667 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Data protection act

Thread title: Data protection act
Closed Thread    
05-06-2005, 05:05 PM
YoungCoder is offline YoungCoder
Software:

YoungCoder is on a distinguished road

Old  Data protection act

Hi all,

Lets say that i request google for all information they have on file regarding me under the data protection act of 1988 and they fail to comply. Are they breaking the law? What measures could i then take against them?

Regards,
YoungCoder

05-07-2005, 06:18 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

You may have to ask your lawyer about this one.

Unless there is a resident lawyer lurking in here?

05-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Adam is offline Adam
Software:

Adam is on a distinguished road

Old

i would guess you have the right to view the data. since it is idenfiyable information about you

but here is a copy of the act if it is any help
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1998/19980029.htm

05-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Dr John is offline Dr John
Software:

Dr John is on a distinguished road

Old

Google are an american company. DPA is uk law.
But if their UK offices kept data about you, it would be different.

But why would google keep data about you?

If you make such a request, you have to allow them sufficient time to comply and they have to make it available in a reasonable way (IE no saying sure, fly out to our outer mongolian office where the printout was made for example) , but the UK office would have to comply eventually. If they don't, you go to the D.P Registrar and complain to them.

05-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Dr John
Google are an american company. DPA is uk law.
But if their UK offices kept data about you, it would be different.

But why would google keep data about you?

If you make such a request, you have to allow them sufficient time to comply and they have to make it available in a reasonable way (IE no saying sure, fly out to our outer mongolian office where the printout was made for example) , but the UK office would have to comply eventually. If they don't, you go to the D.P Registrar and complain to them.
It is concerning the fact that they continue to prevent me from having an adsense account because i supposedly misused an account in the past (Even though i have never had one before), so i would like to see the records they have about me because i believe them to be false.

05-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Software:

Old

Then why not ask their UK office and say that under the DPA you are entitled to know, and explain clearly without any aggro why you think the explanation given is wrong. No harm in trying, is there?

Given you'll have to pay for the adsense, and they might just expect a credit card to be used, could your age be a reason for refusal and they are just avoiding saying you're too young to pass their credit test? If you say sorry no credit card, they might wonder why and automatically say no. Just a thought.

05-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Dr John
Then why not ask their UK office and say that under the DPA you are entitled to know, and explain clearly without any aggro why you think the explanation given is wrong. No harm in trying, is there?

Given you'll have to pay for the adsense, and they might just expect a credit card to be used, could your age be a reason for refusal and they are just avoiding saying you're too young to pass their credit test? If you say sorry no credit card, they might wonder why and automatically say no. Just a thought.
Credit Card is not needed for adsense as it is the one where they post a cheque; i know plenty of under 18's with adsense accounts. They say that it is because i mis-used my last account, yet i have never been able to have an account because they wont let me have it! I sent them an email requesting all information they have on me under DPA...that was days ago I will phone them if i don't get a response soon.

05-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Software:

Old

Google are a big company. Lots of letters to deal with. Give them two weeks to reply before phoning.

Closed Thread