Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1711 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Hardware Discussion :

Question about MacBook Pro

Thread title: Question about MacBook Pro
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
04-07-2008, 09:11 PM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

JamesH is on a distinguished road

Old

Hmm, I just got done playing UT 2004 and man this machine is hot. The metal bar right above the F series keys actually hurts to touch for longer than 3-4 seconds, along with the bottom of the machine. I know these things get hot, but is that normal?

04-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Jako is offline Jako
Expertise:
Software:

Jako is on a distinguished road

Old

Ya, my bar above the F keys gets hot too. I think a lot of the heat is dissipated there, and yes, the bottom of my MBP gets pretty darn warm too.

My MBP is from Oct of 2006, so it appears to be an ongoing thing.

04-08-2008, 02:05 AM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Yea, but the thing that worries me is that these new Macbook Pros are suppose to run 'cooler' and it got pretty damn hot.

04-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Jako is offline Jako
Expertise:
Software:

Old

That's just the nature of the beast I think. In theory yes, they probably should run cooler.

04-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Awfy is offline Awfy
Software:

Awfy is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Yea, but the thing that worries me is that these new Macbook Pros are suppose to run 'cooler' and it got pretty damn hot.
I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs' aim with any Mac is to have little or no fans. Therefore these machines run silently but get as hot as a desk lamp. It can cause problems if you're using the laptop on your lap for any long period of time but just get a towel or something if it's getting to hot

Oh the fact about the bottom of the screen this appears when the laptop has been swiftly moved when it's pretty new. When I got my MacBook I switched it on and everything was perfect. However I laid it on my bed and went to get a drink, when I came back I jumped onto the bed causing it to jump. This caused a black and purple/pink error at the bottom of the screen near the dock. Like you said once you rebooted it was fine, same for me.

04-16-2008, 10:13 PM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Well I just got back from the Apple store. I purchased a 500GB WD My Book to use with Time Machine for hourly back ups and it seems to be working just fine (in the time it took me to write this post it has already backed up 1GB of data).

However the point of my post is for my other purchase, VMWare Fusion. Don't get it if you want to play games. I can't even play Counter Strike Condition Zero with it. Its great for being a virtual machine and using it for applications such as IE, Word, etc. However if you want to play games, you'll need to find another solution. I'm going to try Bootcamp next, I here that works well with games. I will be returning VMWare to the store soon.

04-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Jako is offline Jako
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Well I just got back from the Apple store. I purchased a 500GB WD My Book to use with Time Machine for hourly back ups and it seems to be working just fine (in the time it took me to write this post it has already backed up 1GB of data).

However the point of my post is for my other purchase, VMWare Fusion. Don't get it if you want to play games. I can't even play Counter Strike Condition Zero with it. Its great for being a virtual machine and using it for applications such as IE, Word, etc. However if you want to play games, you'll need to find another solution. I'm going to try Bootcamp next, I here that works well with games. I will be returning VMWare to the store soon.
What about Parallels? If you are interested in that, I'd give http://www.mupromo.com/ a shot. Comes with a bunch of programs, one includes Parallels. For the price, it's not too bad.

04-18-2008, 08:04 PM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

Old

I might consider that. Or I'll just run Bootcamp for games, VMWare for Windows applications, and OS X for everything else. I wonder how bad it would be to run 2 copies of XP on my hard drive...

04-19-2008, 04:12 AM
Jako is offline Jako
Expertise:
Software:

Old

I might consider that. Or I'll just run Bootcamp for games, VMWare for Windows applications, and OS X for everything else. I wonder how bad it would be to run 2 copies of XP on my hard drive...
I don't think you need two copies of XP. When you partition your HD, one will be for OS X one with XP. Boothcamp will allow you to pick between the two at bootup, and VMWare should allow you to use the XP partition you already have...I think

04-24-2008, 07:58 PM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

Old

You were right; I set up a partition on Bootcamp and VMWare can use it as well. Thanks for the help.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2