Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1239 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Development Software and Tools :

Anyone use Postnuke/PNphpBB/phpBB?

Thread title: Anyone use Postnuke/PNphpBB/phpBB?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
01-16-2005, 08:35 PM
ThePyromaniac is offline ThePyromaniac
Expertise:
Software:

ThePyromaniac is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to ThePyromaniac Send a message via MSN to ThePyromaniac

Old  Anyone use Postnuke/PNphpBB/phpBB?

I am a long-time fan of phpBB (well, that is untill after 2.0.4 where they started giving out minor incremental versions almost daily!).

When I moved to using Postnuke two years ago I was very happy to hear that they have a converted version that will work at a fairly good level of intergration between the two systems.

This brings me to wondering if any of you guys use it anymore.

I no longer use the systems for my personal site as my coding skill developed to a level where I dont need to use other stuff, but I still have a site http://pnphpbbhacks.com running where I share my here and wisdom on the subject.

If anybody is interested then here are some useful links:

http://postnuke.com
http://pnphpbb.com

I cannot reccomend them enough if you are starting up in the "Dynamic Website" world, as by ripping them apart you can teach yourself many things.

Afterall, if it wasn't for PNphpBB I would have never taught myself PHP. ^_^

01-16-2005, 10:18 PM
unlevel is offline unlevel
Software:

unlevel is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to unlevel

Old

I am a HUGE supporter of phpbb, and my little group has skinned phpbb numerous times.

Love phpbb, a lot better than invisionboard I suppose, and I haven't bought vbulletin yet so phpbb is #1 for me right now!

01-16-2005, 11:38 PM
Michael is offline Michael
Software:

Michael is on a distinguished road

Old

Sorry to say, I have only used invision and vbulletin for communities I've owned.

01-17-2005, 12:16 AM
ULTiMATE is offline ULTiMATE
Expertise:
Software:

ULTiMATE is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to ULTiMATE Send a message via AIM to ULTiMATE Send a message via MSN to ULTiMATE

Old

I've been through pretty much most commercial forum software there is. phpBB is definately a great forum to use, but vBulletin just towers over it.

01-17-2005, 12:20 AM
PrinceVince is offline PrinceVince
Software:

PrinceVince is on a distinguished road

Old

I have used phpbb a few times, but vbulletin is so much better i had to go back to it.

01-17-2005, 12:24 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

I have used phpbb a few times, but vbulletin is so much better i had to go back to it.
Agreed, i used phpbb i think once...i didn't like it. IPB is a great product but when they turned to **** (e.g made you pay) i decided to just go ahead and jump to vb...and i have never looked back hehe

01-17-2005, 12:28 AM
Michael is offline Michael
Software:

Michael is on a distinguished road

Old

Having used both, I personally think invision will be better the vBulletin one day. I don't know why, I just can feel it.

01-17-2005, 10:41 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

Having used both, I personally think invision will be better the vBulletin one day. I don't know why, I just can feel it.
I did at one point, i used to be a regular at the ipb community but then i left when they turned into greedy *******s and broke all their promises. There was a time when it was a really friendly community full of fun...i go there now and its almost dead.

I think they have made too many mistakes in a short period of time and their whole reputation has gone down hill...it will be hard to pull this one around, vb has a clear market share/lead, ipb are going to need to do something big!

01-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Bazza` is on a distinguished road

Old

i used to really like phpBB but i think where IPB have improved quite quickly phpBB just stayed the same, i think if you can afford it then VB is ofcourse the way to go

01-18-2005, 09:39 AM
ThePyromaniac is offline ThePyromaniac
Expertise:
Software:

ThePyromaniac is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to ThePyromaniac Send a message via MSN to ThePyromaniac

Old

Originally Posted by Bazza`
i used to really like phpBB but i think where IPB have improved quite quickly phpBB just stayed the same, i think if you can afford it then VB is ofcourse the way to go
That is the most accurate so far. phpBB was too slow to evolve because it spent so much time improving old features and removing bugs.

If you take 2.0.1 and 2.0.11 and look at them, you would'nt spot a single difference. Thats over two years of nothing!

I must say recently I have preffered IPB though. I still love phpBB for its simplicity, as it is very easy to intergrate into Postnuke, easy to manipulate and simple to code for.

However, IPB 2.0.3 is just cool! heh. ALthough I have had to pay $20 for a licence (it was half price sale), I think it was worth it, as there are so many very useful features and it is still quick loading times.

However the support is not so good. phpBB has the best support I have ever seen. Anyone agree?

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >