Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1461 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     The Gallery Showcase :

Can You Critique My Portfolio Design?

Thread title: Can You Critique My Portfolio Design?
07-12-2012, 02:28 AM
BoyWonder is offline BoyWonder
Expertise: Programming
Software: Notepad++

BoyWonder is on a distinguished road

Old  Can You Critique My Portfolio Design?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1081797...CLaHzpPupKSDHw

I am a programmer, and design does not come naturally to me. I am thinking of scraping this design and starting from scratch. Anyone have any ideas of how I could make this work without a complete overhaul? Any comments about the current design? This is urgent! Arthashes, I am looking at you . P.S., this isn't the entire site, it is not completed yet.

07-12-2012, 12:47 PM
newkid is offline newkid
Software: Photoshop, Sublime Text2,MS VS

newkid is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to newkid

Old

BoyWonder,

I am not no designer or excellence either. I am a developer. However, your designs are far from blowing the competition...if any competition of that manner! You have your picture posted with an image of a website. You should consider posting actual links to sites that are already online. Also, it is weird that in 2007 your built your first site yet only created your first line of code in 2008. Is this a typo? If not, this is what you would like potential clients to see. I hope you see the issue I am pointing out here.

07-12-2012, 02:42 PM

Old

i am not a designer, but am trying to appeal to small businesses, and i know this design sucks (ps the only portfolio piece in there is an unfinished early draft) first line of php code in 2008, before it was just html and css. I was talking about prices against the local competition. Again, this is an unfinished first draft that was made within an hour.

07-12-2012, 02:46 PM

Old

When I redesign it, shouldn't i try to incorporate some of the simplicity of this design?

07-12-2012, 02:49 PM

Old

And thanks for the advice

07-12-2012, 02:54 PM

Old

newKid, you didn't think this is what I would put up did you? when you said "image of a website", where you thinking that I wouldn't code it out first?

07-13-2012, 01:58 AM
newkid is offline newkid
Software: Photoshop, Sublime Text2,MS VS

newkid is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to newkid

Old

either way is fine, really. Since you don't do any destining I take it you do not use Photoshop or the like right? Well, if you did you simply put up an image of the design you've created. You can put up images of the actual sites you've built also as you mentioned.

Now! About incorporating simplicity, I'd say go with what you are comfortable with. Like I said before, I'm not a designer. I do dabble but not good at it. I tried many times to learn but got fed up with the nonconstructive comments from "designers" that I try not to bother with it. To me, many designers out there are simply rude individuals that believe everything they do is a godsend. The reason I say this is because different from programmers, designers tend to say things like "designing is just not your thing, give up" or "your 'design' looks like ####". Although all designers are artsy and some have the special talents, however what many designers deny is that art IS a trade that can be learnt. What cannot be learnt is imagination. So why is it that they tend to belittle or crush the hopes of those who do have great imagination but simply do not know how to use photoshop or traditional drawing to make ideas reality? Programmers have complete different approach to each other or even amateur programmers: "there's room for improvement" "try doing this or that". We programmers (also as a proof of nature) know there is no ultimate, precise and single correct way to accomplish something and are tolerable and more supportive in regard to novices trying to learn our trade. I'm sorry if I rant a bit but your post reminded me of my concerns and thoughts in the past. I had to get it off my chest. Good luck!