Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1636 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     The Gallery Showcase :

on going: vectorthis.com updates

Thread title: on going: vectorthis.com updates
Closed Thread  
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
04-02-2008, 07:17 PM
UKMatt is offline UKMatt
Software:

UKMatt is on a distinguished road

Old

Old logo is better than the new logo. Respond to my PM please by the way.

04-03-2008, 02:53 AM
JeremiahHoyet is offline JeremiahHoyet
Expertise:
Software:

JeremiahHoyet is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahHoyet

Old

Very nice. IMHO the old logo looks a lot better. . .

04-04-2008, 01:43 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

EDIT:
  1. pros: great shapes, sharp, bold, modern
    cons: just a negative root in a box, too much like vbulletin
  2. pros: sharp, bold, modern, obvious execution of concept
    cons: anchor points don't play nice at small sizes.
  3. pros: sleek, modern, obvious execution of concept
    cons: not as in your face, points don't scale nicely
  4. pros: stronger integration of concept
    cons: very wide - less usable in thin areas., may read as 'ectorthis.com'
  5. pros:familiar to returning audience
    cons: thick, bulky, traditional
  6. pros: new concept (axis / direction / motion)
    cons: unclear concept without explanation, reminds me of hazard signs
  7. pros: new concept
    cons: ugly (haha)
  8. pros: stronger illustration of concept
    Originally Posted by wikipedia
    A spatial vector, or simply vector, is a geometric object which has both a magnitude and a direction. A vector is frequently represented by a line segment connecting the initial point A with the terminal point B and denoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_(spatial)
    cons: very wide - less usable in thin areas.

04-28-2008, 02:14 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

i reskinned the blog. the ads were pointless.

http://blog.vectorthis.com/

i started on the flash development this weekend. maybe by may's end it'll be done.

04-28-2008, 12:33 PM
cpr is offline cpr
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

cpr is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Blog's looking good, only concern is the vector, more specifically your right hand. The top of the hand looks odd?

As for the logo's you've summed them all up pretty well, I do agree in regards to the #1 and kind of #2, first thing i thought of was the vB logo. I guess it's just personal preference in the end as I don't think 1 stands out from the rest, if i had to narrow down though; #2, #3, #5 or #6.

05-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

well i've been working away at this bit by bit since the first post. that design was labeled concept 4. this ended up at concept 7b.

i've done what QA i can do to my own work. i ran every page (even the projects) through a spell checker, simplified some of the descriptions, and tested every link. functionally speaking, i think it's ready to go. i'm in no way a flash developer. the majority of my action script experience is linking, so this was a really fun project for me. unfortunately i wasn't able to take on learning to control all the animations through AS, so it's still primarily frame based - i wanted to bang this out as quickly as possible. i'll probably look into trimming the fat via the tween class over the summer.

unless anyone find some major issues with this i'd like to push this live tomorrow night.

http://www.vectorthis.com/beta/scale.html

05-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

05-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Eirik-M is offline Eirik-M
Software: Photoshop

Eirik-M is on a distinguished road

Old

Very nice, and straight to the point!

08-13-2008, 03:36 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by derek lapp View Post
it's been html'd.

i'm too far behind flash development to actually offer anything competitive. it'd actually be more cost effective to outsource the dev work to someone else than to try and do it all myself. that's not the case for html/css, so i've converted it to show people i can do pretty much the same thing without having to switch technologies.

i also added new work.

08-13-2008, 04:03 AM
Bryan Le is offline Bryan Le
Expertise:
Software:

Bryan Le is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Bryan Le Send a message via MSN to Bryan Le

Old

Hey Derek! Love what you're doing here. Here's some feedback for you:

Overall, I really like the main site. I think it's come a LONG way and it's really shown how much you've matured over the years in terms of work, professionalism, and attitude. Respect.

Here are some of my notes:

- The slogan, "intelligent new media" is not sharp. The .com part is not too sharp either. I'd redo these either by hand or by choosing a different font size that'll come out sharper.
- The line in the vector is jagged and looks bad. I know in the original design it is this thin, but for purpose and visibility, I'd recommend redoing it so it appears sharper, stronger, and more defined.
- Why the frame? I think it would look MUCH better out of the box, and aligned to the top left corner. The frame is so distracting for me, and really doesn't do much for the design. It seems old and dated.
- By Boxing it, you've limited and contained all of your content. I think this is a bad idea. Especially since some of your inner pages expands this frame, which results in an odd feel and makes the box completely pointless anyways.
- If you do go with frame, why not have a background? It'd be really neat to have a dynamic complimenting background for each of your portfolio works (so when I view your Hockey.com case study, I get a nice little treat in the background as well).
- I dislike the "learn more" button completely. I'd go with a different font. The typography gets a bit repetitive, especially since you're using the same font for everything.
- The blue line separating your header from your content is too strong. I'd even say do without it. I don't see why you need to separate it.
- I think navigation needs a selected/active state.

Now going into your inner pages...

Projects page is nothing special, looks identical to home page. For better or worse. Seems like a design decision rather then laziness, and I think it is OKAY. Again, the lime green color bothers me.

- I think I need bigger portfolio views.
- I think Graphic Design portfolio should be shortened to just portfolio.
- On that note, why are you calling this page "portfolio" when navigation calls it Projects? With no selected/active state, user may get confused.
- Pagination in bottom right corner looks like an afterthought and poorly executed.
- Love how each case study takes up its own page. Very well done.
- I dislike the opaque white box behind "objectives and action" component. I'd say scratch it, there's no point anyways, especially since you already have icons representing each.
- Again, I have to say that portfolio case study seems like it was given the most work and attention. Looks very good, with lots of care and attention. Best part of the site hands down.
- I can sort of see why you've decided to use the frame (mainly because of your case studies). However, I still think that your pieces will hold strong even without the frame, and the cut off will still look fine (or even reworking these pieces so that it looks good without the frame).

Going into About...

Love the time line. Always have, always will. Looks great, very informative, very well laid out. Best part of the section.

Comments...

- I feel as if I need more differentiation between the "What I do" and "Brands I've Worked With" components. They sort of get lost in the page by looking identical to everything else.
- How about a cool picture or vector art inside your about section?
- How come I can't click any of the brands/clients? I want to...
- The problem with "triangle" bullets is that the user will feel as if these are menu items and can/will expand on click. I think traditional rounded/square/rounded corner squares will work much more efficiently.

Contact page:

Definitely looks like the last page designed and though of. Don't really like it, and doesn't have too much of any appeal to make me contact you. No last reassurance that you're the guy to go to. Also, there is no functionality, which makes me very uncomfortable with contacting you.

- Map is way too big and pointless. A simple cut out of Canada with a nice point on Ontario will be much more efficient and better looking.
- Dude, where's my contact form?
- Don't like the font choice for email ... the @ looks funny.
- Why is there a space in front of your email, but not your phone number? Looks like a mistake.
- I don't like the opaque white rectangle on these components.
- Small message seems more like sly fine print, then a friendly encouragement to email.

Just some thoughts! Overall, i think the site is great as I first stated, and I think you've got a lot going for you and in store for your future. I'm really excited to see where you'll be at in terms of career in the next 6 months because I think you can really make it places.

Best of luck buddy!

Closed Thread  
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >