Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1673 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Web Hosting and Domain Names :

registrars "stealing" domain ideas?

Thread title: registrars "stealing" domain ideas?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
01-16-2011, 03:17 AM
herewego is offline herewego
Software:

herewego is on a distinguished road

Old  registrars "stealing" domain ideas?

I have seen several people at other forums complaining that different registrars will basically steal domain names out from under you if you search and don't buy at that moment. Have you found that to be true and if so, which registrars should I avoid?

01-16-2011, 04:41 AM
noboss is offline noboss
Software:

noboss is on a distinguished road

Old

I often hear the rumor also though I wonder if it's true. I think a reputable registrar shouldn't do such unethical practice which hurts their customers.

01-16-2011, 05:11 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

I've heard the rumors, but I think domain registrars have other things to worry about than register hundreds of thousands of domains that are searched on their sites daily. If they did, they'd be out of business.

01-16-2011, 06:00 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

I've heard rumors and I dont doubt that some do it. I'd imagine that sites like Namecheap would simply have too much volume to buy up domains tat people search for and dont buy. Furthermore if a large registrar did it they would either have to sell domains themselves, be known by domain dealers as a source or own a domain selling company.

01-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Jordan is offline Jordan
Expertise: CSS, HTML, PHP
Software: Sublime Text 2

Jordan is on a distinguished road

Old

Registrars have done this but it's also 3rd party websites that you search through that will grab domains you search for.

I've only ever had this happen once in the 10+ years of registering domains. It was a few years ago and I submitted an order for a domain with UK2 (then Stargate) for a client. Nothing amazing keyword wise as it was just the client's firstlast.com. Well, I didn't pay the invoice straight away (waited a day) and I go to pay only to have it error on me saying it was already registered.

Was pissed off about it. Looked up the whois for it and saw another individual registered it. Contacted him and he apologized then canceled the domain's registration on his end.. In a few minutes I was able to register it myself. Not sure how his methodology was for snatching up the domain as I didn't run any searches other than on Stargate itself. Either way, I lucked out since he responded right away and was able to cancel it.

01-16-2011, 01:39 PM
siteholder is offline siteholder
Software:

siteholder is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

One registrar that I see being accused of this a lot is GoDaddy but I have been using them for years and never had this happen to me. I think some of the people may have either spyware that is watching this or perhaps have used other 3rd party sites, like someone mentioned. I just don't see why GoDaddy would do this themselves.

01-16-2011, 09:59 PM
zomex is offline zomex
Expertise:
Software:

zomex is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

I'd agree that this does happen. The best thing to do is search for a domains using WHOIS tools that you can trust. For example using an SSH client you can search for domains using the following command:

Code:
whois domain.com
Then when it comes to purchasing make sure you use a reputable registrar and buy straight away.

Jack

01-17-2011, 01:33 PM
weblover50 is offline weblover50
Software:

weblover50 is on a distinguished road

Old

Hard to believe any domain registrar would do something like this. May be the other not so genuine ones might.

01-21-2011, 02:24 AM
Androidfan is offline Androidfan
Software:

Androidfan is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Was pissed off about it. Looked up the whois for it and saw another individual registered it. Contacted him and he apologized then canceled the domain's registration on his end.. In a few minutes I was able to register it myself. Not sure how his methodology was for snatching up the domain as I didn't run any searches other than on Stargate itself. Either way, I lucked out since he responded right away and was able to cancel it.
Very interesting experience Jordan, thanks for sharing. So actually it's possible to ask a domain registrant for cancelling his domain's registration if he didn't really deserve it.

01-21-2011, 05:35 AM
Jordan is offline Jordan
Expertise: CSS, HTML, PHP
Software: Sublime Text 2

Jordan is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Androidfan View Post
Very interesting experience Jordan, thanks for sharing. So Actually it's possible to ask a domain registrant for cancelling his domain's registration if he didn't really deserve it.
"if he didn't really deserve it" is completely objective. He registered and paid the domain, so he had the right to retain ownership of it. He was just extremely polite and did not hesitate to cancel his registration so I could register it.

This will not always be the case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >