Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 949 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Hardware Discussion :

Should I buy a MAC?

Thread title: Should I buy a MAC?
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 >
07-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Gareth is offline Gareth
Software:

Gareth is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Gareth

Old  Should I buy a MAC?

Hey guys,

Just got home from a short break Anywho, whilst away I read a magazine which featured the iMAC, and it made me really want one!!!!

But.

I've only ever used Windows, and there's nothing wrong with my current XP machine. Just wondering, have any of you guys gone from Windows to MAC? If so;

- How easy is it to get used to?
- Would you rate it better or less for what you need to do?
- Is it MEGA-COOL?
- Should I get one? Why?

Thanks!
Gareth

07-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Josh.UK is offline Josh.UK
Expertise:
Software:

Josh.UK is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
I've only ever used Windows, and there's nothing wrong with my current XP machine.
As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". And no, owning a mac does not get you laid, so no, not mega-cool lol.

BetaOrange is offline BetaOrange
Expertise: Design / Coding
Software: Photoshop, iTunes, Firefox

BetaOrange is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

basically the same question as him, I really want a macbook pro, but I don't really know why haha.

bgolat is offline bgolat
Software:

bgolat is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to bgolat Send a message via AIM to bgolat Send a message via Yahoo to bgolat

Old

I switched to Mac at the beginning of 2008 after using a PC / Windows for almost 15 years. It is very easy to get used to.

I like the way it functions better than Windows for sure.

Yes it's mega-cool.

Go to an Apple store and play around with one for a couple days, that will help you decide. That is how I decided to get mine.

07-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Garrett is offline Garrett
Software:

Garrett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garrett

Old

I have been using PC's since, well it was all I ever used. I wanted a Macbook because of the developer community and the quality of applications.

I got it, and I had a Dell XPS 400 at the time, which was in stats 3-4 times more powerful than my Macbook (with no video card, well its integrated), and now I use my Macbook as my only and main machine. It runs Windows a lot faster, loads Photoshop (Mac) extremely fast, etc. It is a learning curve once you go Mac OS X. And I have only been productive since. I can't imagine working on a Windows ever again.

I suggest going to an Apple store, spend about an hour there on a iMac or a Macbook. Get a list of programs you want to try or checkout (although they may not like it) download them and use them.

07-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Oliver is offline Oliver
Expertise: Investment, SEO, Marketing
Software: After Effects, Photoshop, Maya

Oliver is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to Oliver

Old

Don't switch to Mac, i have the misfortune of having to work with them, and also own a MBP. They're slow and the OS is bloated, like most of the software available for them as well.

07-03-2008, 04:25 PM
kimsonsolutions is offline kimsonsolutions
Software:

kimsonsolutions is on a distinguished road

Old

Oliver : i'm pretty surprised by your statement , even more if you have macbookpro that is the top laptop of mac

i "only" have a powerbook and it's working very well , i would never come back to windows that's for sure !

it's more logical , stable , easier to use than windows

i never regretted a single second to have switched even when i had trouble (it happens two me 2 times in 2 year )

before i switched i never used a mac but i wanted Expose (integrated option that allows you to display instantly all the open windows on your screen and then allows you to easily switch from one window to another , simple and sooooooooo useful ) so badly that i had to get a mac

07-03-2008, 05:30 PM
n9com is offline n9com
Expertise:
Software:

n9com is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to n9com

Old

i had been using a PC since forever, last year i switched to the iMac, had no problems and it is perfect in every aspect. No errors, no crashing, i haven't needed to reboot (i just use sleep mode) in months and have seen no slowdown.

If you get one, you won't be disappointed.

I have not experienced what Oliver has said, the programs on OSX are great and open almost instantly. Even if for some reason you don't like certain Mac apps, you can always install windows and dual boot.

- How easy is it to get used to? Very easy and once you get some productivity addons like quicksilver, you will be doing things much faster than on windows.

- Would you rate it better or less for what you need to do? much better.
- Is it MEGA-COOL? ofc.
- Should I get one? Why? Let BSOD be a thing of the past. There is no downside really, you can even use windows at the same time as running OSX.

07-03-2008, 05:38 PM
BetaOrge is offline BetaOrge
Expertise:
Software:

BetaOrge is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to BetaOrge Send a message via MSN to BetaOrge

Old

If you have to ask a designer community if you should get a mac than you don't want one. 90% of the people here are designers and probably fell for Apples advertising scheme of getting all the designers and developers to buy a Mac. Everything you can do on a Mac you can do on a PC, but not everything you can do on a PC you can do on a Mac.

I would stay where you are and spend the $2000 buying a new mac on something that can actually effect your live, buy some furniture or a new website to make money. Or spend it fixing up your current site.

As you can clearly see I am not a Mac fan boy and therefore my comments are probably harsh. I do not wish to argue on my stance I am simply providing it to the thread creator as a "stance point".

- Steve

07-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Immersion is offline Immersion
Software:

Immersion is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by BetaOrge View Post
Everything you can do on a Mac you can do on a PC, but not everything you can do on a PC you can do on a Mac.

Sorry, but such as?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 >