Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1098 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     PHP and MySQL :

Where to start freelance work for a 13 year old?

Thread title: Where to start freelance work for a 13 year old?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
06-02-2011, 02:37 PM
jaydeee is offline jaydeee
Software:

jaydeee is on a distinguished road

Old

I am a bit hesitant too to suggest legit freelancing sites because 1.I think you would have problem creating paypal since you have no cc to receive funds 2.clients will doubt you at first since you are only 13 but then again I hope in the future, when you are atleast 16 or 18, with your talents and superb skills I think you will do great in Odesk and Elance. Check it out.

06-03-2011, 08:02 PM
noisyscanner is offline noisyscanner
Expertise: Programming
Software: Firefox, Notepad++, iTunes

noisyscanner is on a distinguished road

Old

Yes. I have looked into Odesk and Elance. I'll try and get my parents to set me up a Paypal account and link it to the Lloyds (or Natwest or whatever) account I'm getting next time I go into town. Thanks, everyone.
PS @jaydeee. Liking the username .

06-29-2011, 06:07 PM
noisyscanner is offline noisyscanner
Expertise: Programming
Software: Firefox, Notepad++, iTunes

noisyscanner is on a distinguished road

Old

Right. Got the PayPal account and bank account up finally! So I just ask for jobs on foums like this, right? Any ideas on what to put?

07-11-2011, 04:00 PM
santacruz is offline santacruz
Software:

santacruz is on a distinguished road

Old

You start up at 13, this is great and dont give up.

07-12-2011, 04:55 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by noisyscanner View Post
Right. Got the PayPal account and bank account up finally! So I just ask for jobs on foums like this, right? Any ideas on what to put?

Either post what you can do in terms of service OR look through recent requests for what needs to be done. Make sure you can deliver what is asked to get a good iTrader rating.

08-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Jake B is offline Jake B
Expertise: Coder
Software: Sublime Text, Google Chrome

Jake B is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Jake B

Old

Originally Posted by noisyscanner View Post
Okay, so say I got this Paypal account all set up. Where would I go to find a few odd jobs? I HAVE Googled around... Like Village Genius said, it's just like my neighbours paying me to mow the lawn (although I have no neighbours as I live in the countryside... it sucks).
I'd recommend getting a portfolio up. Suprisingly, a Tumblr is a great, free place to start. When deciding on a name, choose your online name, not your real name. Make a twitter, get connected and start following a lot of freelance sites (like this one). Post around and just get yourself out there.

One more thing: don't ever tell anyone your age or anything, just say stuff like "I can do that!" or "I can't do that" or something, but don't be like "I'm only 13 so...". The internet is a crazy place, and the business is also a crazy place. There are a lot of "shady" people who love to rip off kids for cheap labor. I started freelancing when I was 14-15, and I was doing crap jobs like cropping people out of pictures for $15 a batch. It wasn't bad at the time, as I just used it for buying videogames, but looking back I could've easily of made more money.

Random funny story: The guy who frequently gave me crap jobs recently started hitting me up again, asking me to do 2-3 weeks worth of work on a WP site (very complex design, lots of features, etc) for about $100. I ended up rejecting his offer (you can do that). In retrospect, telling him that I was very young really got myself into crappy deals, and I could've made a lot more money if I just kept that to myself and just did business.

I just thought I'd share. I'm 19 now and working full time at a web studio, I still prefer freelancing though.

04-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Hostjail is offline Hostjail
Expertise: Web Hosting
Software: Putty :)

Hostjail is on a distinguished road

Old

I just wanted to give credit where credit is due. You remind me of a good, good friend I used to have that was real energetic and ambitious. He was a genius when it came to programming, and I always admired that of him.

I dont know about the laws or the programming your into, but I just wanted to tell you, keep on the right path. Keep it up, and in due time you will get the benefits of your hard work

It may not be hard work to you because you enjoy doing it, but in reality, even if you do not find work, you are building the foundation to a good future. I commend you on that. I wish you the best. The purpose of this post, is to tell you, dont get discouraged if you dont find work now. Dont give up, keep doing what your doing, keep learning, because your young now. But in time, its all going to be worth it.

No bills, no kids, no real worries right now, your able to suck it all in. Take advantage of it. Take care of yourself,
James

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2