Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1575 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Suggest a blog theme to power TalkFreelance blog.

Thread title: Suggest a blog theme to power TalkFreelance blog.
06-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old  Suggest a blog theme to power TalkFreelance blog.

[If you are interested in writing for our blog, click here.]

I'd like to kick start the suggestions as to what kind of structure you'd like to see TalkFreelance.com blog adopt. A blog will be about all things freelance: unique stories/tips on website development & management processes, gadgets, reviews & interviews. It will also be a source of inspiration with beautiful things featured, both graphically and functionally.

To save ourselves some time, we decided to use an existing theme, However, because TalkFreelance will have its own design theme which will be inherited by the blog (the header/footer), we are focusing on the structure of the blog, or its body in other words.

So here comes the creative part: post a theme you think will be a perfect fit for us! We are looking for a structural/informational clarity on the page as much as for a creative edge. There is nothing worse than a boring looking blog, especially that targets a creative crowd.

To make things more interesting, if a suggested by you theme gets picked, you'll receive a $50 cash prize for linking to it (that is if you were first to do so)! And no, massive linking or linking to a portal with multiple themes doesn't count as a suggestion - its too easy to do. Please explain why your suggested theme works the best.

I'll start by saying that I really like this theme that I found today because it stays in line with what my vision is for the blog - clearly defined story space, clutter-free structure and all the important elements up front. Anything but boring, elegant and most importantly it gives us space to modify it to our needs.

Good luck with the search! I am dying to see the creative themes you find.

08-05-2011, 07:39 PM
getadviced is offline getadviced
Software:

getadviced is on a distinguished road

Old

Why suggest?
Why not a contest to create a theme for talkfreelance. Of course with a higher price money :P

08-06-2011, 04:24 AM
biniar is offline biniar
Expertise:
Software:

biniar is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to biniar Send a message via AIM to biniar Send a message via MSN to biniar Send a message via Yahoo to biniar Send a message via Skype™ to biniar

Old

Coupons, hosting deals, what's going on with the forums, what might be some active discussions in the forums?

Some simple thoughts for the blog.

This is the theme I think looks good for the blog.

-B

08-06-2011, 09:31 AM
dlopez916 is offline dlopez916
Expertise: CSS, HTML, Flash, Photoshop
Software: Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Frefox

dlopez916 is on a distinguished road

Old

Quick question, who are or who is going to be your authors for this blog?

08-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by getadviced View Post
Why suggest?
Why not a contest to create a theme for talkfreelance. Of course with a higher price money :P

We don't need to reinvent the wheel. Design-wise, the blog theme will inherit the forum design with same header/footer that Chris is working on. So essentially what we are looking for is the body/structure of the blog. A competition would be an overkill as there are plenty of existing themes available that we can work with.

Originally Posted by dlopez916 View Post
Quick question, who are or who is going to be your authors for this blog?

I'm going through the hiring process by inviting anyone who wants to write to submit their resumes and samples of writing on mentioned subjects. I have received close to 30 applications so far, but only a handful are coming from interesting individuals who can give some interesting insight and provide quality stories that are not your typical generic tips/articles. Its possible only if the person has been involved in the business directly, and not only as an observer.

I am trying to get into a more practical advice/opinion pieces that make people think. I don't want generic stories that have been done 1000s of times before.

But anyone is welcome to apply.

08-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Trim is offline Trim
Software:

Trim is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

http://themeforest.net/item/velvet-m...=category_item

Why?
Freelance blog needs something weird in positive way. In this theme you have some unusual things like slider in post title, nice way of providing author/categories/tags information. Yet it`s simple, practicalm modern and elegant.

08-12-2011, 09:24 AM
jasondk is offline jasondk
Expertise:
Software:

jasondk is on a distinguished road

Old

A blog theme to power TalkFreelance blog?To me,what makes people insterest is the most important.And now have solved the problem?

08-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Michael C is offline Michael C
Expertise:
Software:

Michael C is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Michael C

Old

Not really sure what would go with the design but I like:

http://themeforest.net/item/brisk-bu...preview/240358

http://themeforest.net/item/element-...preview/236031

I reckon the second could fit pretty nicely with the TF design.

08-15-2011, 08:43 AM
JRayers is offline JRayers
Software:

JRayers is on a distinguished road

Old

I've identified two suitable themes, both of which I feel are very friendly towards the 'community' feel that we are trying to maintain. Both are by the same author and somewhat similar however the content areas are very functional. The headers leave something to be desired but if we are only looking for content layout then that should not be a problem.

Open - http://open.themedemo.net/ - I personally use this one.

Collective - http://collective.themedemo.net/

Something important that can not and must not be overlooked in selecting a design is the layout of the comments area. In order to have readers actively engaging they need to be comfortable browsing through comments and be easily able to add their own. This is an area often overlooked by designers but is arguably more important than the body of the content.