Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1692 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Other Programming Languages :

How much should I charge for making a web site?

Thread title: How much should I charge for making a web site?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
07-18-2008, 11:06 AM
tech_guy is offline tech_guy
Software:

tech_guy is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by preet View Post
Hi,

there's a company I know that needs a web site for internal use.

I already made the requirements (with the help of someone I know from inside the company) and determined that the web site would have 7 modules, each containing 3 php files on average.

Now, I'll have to do their mysql database (installation, design and optimization) as well php code for the server side and javascript on the client side for dynamic pages.

I plan to do the look myself (html, css, photoshop edited pictures).

I also plan to provide them a specification and design document as well (for mutual understanding and to facilitate maintenance later on).

Now, I'm about to bring them a proposal (the requirement document and a pricetag for the project), but I when I do, I know that they'll probably compare whatever offer I make them against that of a couple of website design company
So my question is: in your estimation, how much would a web development company charge for this?

Hi, it's very difficult to say that how much would a company charge but as far as I think they will charge $60 per page.

Good luck!

07-18-2008, 09:00 PM
refide46 is offline refide46
Software:

refide46 is on a distinguished road

Old

see what is fair for you & not higher than others that can do the work with a lower price.

07-24-2008, 01:11 AM
LanceRates is offline LanceRates
Software:

LanceRates is on a distinguished road

Old

The going rate is $60.26/hour right now. The standard deviation is $11.21/hour, which means approximately 95% of people charge between $37.84 and $82.68.

I hope that helps.

07-29-2008, 02:40 AM
ThinkMinds is offline ThinkMinds
Expertise:
Software:

ThinkMinds is on a distinguished road

Old

Hi Preet,

it really depends. I have 2 ways of charging a client: per-project or per- hour. I usually charge per hour if it is a maintenance project (ie. no design from scratch but just keeping the site a-float).

Yours though sounds like a project from scratch. Here is what I would do:

1. Rough estimate of weeks. In your case I would take a shot in the dark and say about 6-7 weeks than multiply that by 25% (to take for unaccounted issues). That's about 8 weeks.

2. Now that you have the weeks, convert it to hours so you're looking at about 8*40 = 320 hours.

3. Multiply the 320 hours by your hourly rate...depending on your level of expertise (anywhere from $25/hr - $60/hr) and you will have your quote; so you're looking at a range of $8,000 to $19,200 for the project.

I would also keep in mind however the size of the company and adjust accordingly. Plus, if you can work out a deal with them that if they are satisfied and you will be called upon for more projects, than give them a break and a discount - that way you get a repeat customer and customer sees that you care: win-win situation.

I always tend to give a "worst-case" time estimate scenario (of course without explicitly mentioning this to the client) - however you should always be ready to back up your time estimates (costs are easy: based on your hourly rate). In most case - backing your time estimates is not that difficult, specially since in this one you are doing all the work from back-end to front-end to eye-candy ..

Hope this helps,

TM

08-08-2008, 06:53 PM
dynamic313 is offline dynamic313
Software:

dynamic313 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to dynamic313

Old

the posts on this thread have all been a really interesting read. Its usfull to find out what others think, i've always done roughly the same let the client make the price only trouble with doing that too much/all the time is somtimes you cant loose focus of what somthing is really worth and before you know it your being ripped off and dont even know it. So thanks all for good info should help me in the future

12-01-2008, 04:45 PM
andr92 is offline andr92
Software:

andr92 is on a distinguished road

Old

In all cases you will no have enough money

01-19-2009, 05:14 PM
paitken is offline paitken
Expertise:
Software:

paitken is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to paitken Send a message via AIM to paitken Send a message via MSN to paitken Send a message via Yahoo to paitken

Old

I'd suggesting writing each 'job' down.

i.e.
Design Layout in Photoshop - 3 hours.
Convert layout to xhtml/css - 3 hours. etc

Create module 1 - 2 hours

Tally it up.

Then think to yourself what kind of site it is, will they make lots of money or is it for basic information. Give a possible percent markup for sites that will make more money. i.e. Charge 25% more if they're making profit.

Ask yourself how much you're worth and how many items you can show them that you've done.

So an idea is: If they're going to make money off the site and you want to charge lets say $25 an hour for 30 hours. I would do:
25 * 30 * 1.25 (1.25 = 25% markup)

Things I would not do: I would not/will not work for an underpaying custmer. They tend to want you to do top notch work for little to nothin, as if you're running a sweatshop. If they're local I would come up with some sort of contract/agreement.

01-20-2009, 05:01 AM
murz is offline murz
Software:

murz is on a distinguished road

Old

Here's a pretty good read on the subject:
http://www.atilus.com/what-does-a-website-cost/

02-09-2009, 06:39 PM
weblover50 is offline weblover50
Software:

weblover50 is on a distinguished road

Old

it depends upon how much long is your website as per this you can charge your website.

04-12-2009, 03:43 PM
jonnyboy is offline jonnyboy
Software:

jonnyboy is on a distinguished road

Old

You cant decide the rates as the size of the site and what is the theme of website.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >