Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1416 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Cost for doing research

Thread title: Cost for doing research
12-07-2010, 06:28 AM
z_kagenotora is offline z_kagenotora
Software:

z_kagenotora is on a distinguished road

Old  Cost for doing research

When I do my freelance service, sometimes client wants me to do something that I never do before. Lets say a client wants me to create web application that can update his twitter account automatically.

Since I have a basic of programming language, obviously this is something that I'm capable of doing. However, it's just I never have a chance to do it before. So, before I can implement that, I have to do some research.

When you do some research on a request, how do you say that to your client? Do you mention it on your invoice? Or do you just include it in hourly rate?

12-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

z_kagenotora

The real answer to this is . . . it all depends. ;^)

If you itemize tasks on your invoice in a way that makes listing research time as a separate line then probably yes you should do this.

If you itemize only by "time spent on tasks related to X" "time spent on tasks related to y" then probably you don't need to.

If you have a minimum or setup fee, some or all of your research time might be a part of that.

In any event, don't be apologetic about having to do research: you can't be expected to know everything about everything and it doesn't mean that you're the wrong person for the job. It is, instead, a way to make sure you give your client the best possible result.

12-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

You bill for every hour you spent working for them. If learning was included, bill for that as well. I'd consider it a good business practice to let them know ahead of time about this though.

12-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Libby is offline Libby
Software:

Libby is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

I did process improvement work for a research lab for 4 years. I was coached to build in time for project management time. I don't see why you couldn't do something similar for your research time.

12-17-2010, 07:49 AM
weblover50 is offline weblover50
Software:

weblover50 is on a distinguished road

Old

The least you could do if the client is not agreeing is charge half the hourly rate. But better to clear things out with the client before hand.

12-17-2010, 05:32 PM
FreeStylencer is offline FreeStylencer
Software:

FreeStylencer is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

If clients wants something from your field, and programming is quite broad than you should not be charging research. Customers don't have to sponsor your process of learning just the service you provide to them. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's not clients fault that you never done that application before.

12-23-2010, 07:52 PM
z_kagenotora is offline z_kagenotora
Software:

z_kagenotora is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
You bill for every hour you spent working for them. If learning was included, bill for that as well. I'd consider it a good business practice to let them know ahead of time about this though.
I'm doing a lot better with my clients right now. I really realize that communication is the key. Be opened. Additionally, always try to solve everything in advance. Have a written contract. So both parties know what to expect from each other. Thanks a lot!