Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1083 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Blogging and Community Building :

What do you want from MySpace and Facebook?

Thread title: What do you want from MySpace and Facebook?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
04-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Awfy is offline Awfy
Software:

Awfy is on a distinguished road

Old  What do you want from MySpace and Facebook?

I've decided the best way to optimize the usability of Klydo is to get opinions on the current social networks from a community. So this thread is basically a place for you to identify things you like/dislike about the current as well as name things you would like to see on a new one.

Klydo is going to try and make the wants of everyone met!

04-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Garyrae is offline Garyrae
Expertise:
Software:

Garyrae is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garyrae Send a message via Skype™ to Garyrae

Old

The ability to network with friends is about it.
Anything else is just a plus.

04-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Jamesy is offline Jamesy
Expertise:
Software:

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to Jamesy

Old

As gary's said. I only use social networking sites to speak to my friends. If my friends aren't on there, it's only the 'pluses'!

Get it promoted as well as you can

04-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Jaysgirl is offline Jaysgirl
Expertise:
Software:

Jaysgirl is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Jaysgirl

Old

Dislikes about Myspace:
Lack of full control over customization [like Virb - awesome SNS]
The amount of errors on the damn site!
Msplinks

Likes about Myspace:
Easy to find people you know
SOME control over customisation
Nice admin panel [personal preference]
Privacy has been upped
Design is currently being redone [looks good yano]

Dislikes about Facebook:
Stupid spam applications
Awfully slow site in general
Hard to find people you know
Navigating is insane. Click a friend link on a profile an you expect to go to that persons profile, but sometimes it just goes to the app it is connected to.

Likes about Facebook
erm, my friends are on it, so basically I use it for that reason alone lol

Virb is a SNS that has pretty much everything, except for the popularity. Trying to move over, which is a slow process as I first need to learn how to code them damn thing.

On a new SNS, would love to see just a clean design, privacy against spam, and release of full customization. Plus easy to use and navigate.
Again though, these are just things I would love to see.

Good luck with Klydo!

04-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Awfy is offline Awfy
Software:

Old

Well we have a marketing campaign that should blow away the TV advertising world, just the issue if funding it so it may be a while after we open before you see any of it. Either that or we launch it as an internet campaign on places like YouTube and LiveVideo.

We have been particularly interested in VIRB while Klydo has been in development, we have already developed a system similar to their advanced skinning to allow everything to be edited in terms of CSS, HTML and Icons. However we've went one step further with a skin and widget gallery which Virb sadly doesn't have. We're still working on building up a basic editor to allow the less skilled users make their own or simply select from the skin gallery like I said.

We're trying to go into depth about the privacy as we know not everyone just wants a public or private profile. The majority want to be able to setup how they're information can be seen. Some might wish for their latest picture uploads to be displayed on the homepage but for someone to comment them they may want them to be friends, where as the next person might not want their stuff displayed on the homepage but still want a public profile. So we want to optimize this but also keep it simple by having preset privacy settings for people who aren't all too worried about the technical side of things.

The design we've used for both the site and profiles has been selected because of it's simplicity and it's level editable content. From using EXACTLY the same code setup on the main site as well as the profile we've managed to make them look unique compared to each other. This means you can ultimately edit your profile to no extent. The navigation is also managed by using a large (tab) navigation with 6 simple links;

You - Dashboard - Videos - Music - Messages - Settings

Each of these then have their own sub navigation appear directly under neath. So navigation is quick and simple to follow.

On the side of friends which seems to be the big matter here, we want to try and get every user contributing to getting their own friends on the site. To us the best way to make you want to invite your friends somewhere is the fact you're "proud" to be using the service and want to show it off to friends. That's basically how MySpace and Facebook gained popularity so fast. This in mind is the main reason we see listening to everything you say EXTREMELY important because it could turn out something you suggested gets included in the site and what better could their be for a social network user than actually being able to say "I had a say in how that site was made" other than the obvious "I made that site" but suppose we can't hire every user :P

04-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Jaysgirl is offline Jaysgirl
Expertise:
Software:

Jaysgirl is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Jaysgirl

Old

Another thing I forgot to mention, is I like how myspace gives you a personal URL [myspace.com/jaysgirl_designs] ... this helps when just letting friends know how to find you.

facebook sucks for this! you have to go through friends of friends to find the people you want.

Bare with me, i could rant forever on SNS lol.
From what you have said though, you have me so interested in Klydo ... specially the design area.

Sounds pretty much what a SNS should be

04-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Awfy is offline Awfy
Software:

Old

Yeah, we've went with the mod_rewrite for profiles allowing to to do klydo.com/username. I've always hated Facebook for not doing that, was impossible to try and link people to my profile.

05-09-2008, 03:23 PM
domainbartender is offline domainbartender
Software:

domainbartender is on a distinguished road

Old

I prefer facebook because it has some fun applications you can use - such as interactive games, which I love.

05-18-2008, 09:10 PM
ibizstartups is offline ibizstartups
Software:

ibizstartups is on a distinguished road

Old

One word - privacy. Take a closer look at facebook's user agreement. It's a pretty scary thought that anything you type or upload is their property in which they can and will sell to third parties. So in a nutshell, my number one concern is being with a network who vows never to sell my personal info. Yet another reason why I created my own social network not long ago.

06-10-2008, 08:59 AM
kimsonsolutions is offline kimsonsolutions
Software:

kimsonsolutions is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by xcentricnet View Post
my number one concern is being with a network who vows never to sell my personal info.
the thing is that most of tose website earn moeny from that

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >