Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1692 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Tables vs. Tableless

Thread title: Tables vs. Tableless
Closed Thread  
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
11-03-2006, 03:45 AM
northpark is offline northpark
Expertise:
Software:

northpark is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to northpark

Old

I know both, and I really bounce in between.

Tables are Good because they Make Sense, and are Cross Browser compatible to the newest of users.

Table-less coding is good because it cuts file size and is generally faster.

I personally ask my client which they per fer (at the same price, neither is of a higher difficulty level for me) and if they don't know (most don't) I just figure out which one would be a faster coding job for me. Not really a problem over which is better, it is really whichever one fits my situation better.

11-03-2006, 07:48 AM
seen.to is offline seen.to
Expertise:
Software:

seen.to is on a distinguished road

Old

It's all about content vs. layout - with tables they are one and the same and with tableless they are not. Since content should not be the same as layout tableless is the way to go.

Since content is seperated from layout with tableless coding re-designs, (complete and partial), are a lot simpler. As a small example of partial re-design ease through the use of tableless CSS for layout rather than tables I, along with a colleague, have recently implemented a project called SPLAT! at work. Javascript, CSS, XHTML, and design by me, Java, Oracle DB work, XML, XSL, and Javascript from my colleague. The project creates numerous database entries and .js files to create the XHTML for the Splat!s.

Since launching the project there have been several design re-workings, (at the request of other's in the organization, eventually returning to my original design), that have been more easily implemented through my pre-planning with tableless XHTML/CSS meaning that the only parts I had to change were the actual images used and the CSS controlling them. If we had gone with an old-school table-based-layout then every .js file, and several XSLs would have had to change.

Tableless is better for bandwidth, load times, accessibility, SEO, (and pay scales ).

JUST SAY NO! www.tableless.ws (i really should do something more with that).

FWIW I still use tables for layout of HTML e-mails as it is the best way to retain cross-platform reliability - heck I even still use the font-tag with these - but there is no need to use tables for browser based compatibility as anything that can be attained with tables can be equally attained without them in the major browsers.

11-03-2006, 02:16 PM
jjmac is offline jjmac
Software:

jjmac is on a distinguished road

Old

I have never heard that before about tables being red twice, do you have a source? I'd like to read more about it.

11-11-2006, 12:59 AM
romeofreelance is offline romeofreelance
Software:

romeofreelance is on a distinguished road

Old

i thought exactly the same way a couple of years ago... so far we have started coding sites with css outsourcing the coding part

switching to css was like delivering twin babies for us!
we are mostly convinced of the value of semantically correct markup and even though it might look the same, the results are totally different in terms of search engine optimization and browsers for mobile devices

11-19-2006, 10:52 PM
allaire is offline allaire
Expertise:
Software:

allaire is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to allaire Send a message via MSN to allaire

Old  ok my opinion

Both are very similar, but for future, tableless coding is the way to go. Tables are oldschool, but some people find it easier to use them for liquid layout, I still use Xhtml/Css tableless coding for my liquid layout though...
hope it helps

11-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

at work, I almost never go tableless, most of my clients dont care as long as it coforms to 4.01

Closed Thread  
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4