Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1437 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Development Software and Tools :

The Browsers - Fight Of The Century

Thread title: The Browsers - Fight Of The Century
View Poll Results: Which browser is the best?
Internet Explorer 10 22.22%
Firefox 31 68.89%
Opera 3 6.67%
Other 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
02-04-2005, 03:47 AM
Imagenesis is offline Imagenesis
Software:

Imagenesis is on a distinguished road

Old

I like opera too(less than firefox), but the trial software annoys...which is what they provide right? The full version without adds costs money?

02-04-2005, 11:34 AM
jamesyfx is offline jamesyfx
Expertise: Design
Software: TextEdit

jamesyfx is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jamesyfx

Old

Yeah, the only reason Opera isn't as popular is that you've got to pay for the proper version.

02-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Bazza` is on a distinguished road

Old

i use Mozilla

why is better than IE? well the main reason is tabbed browsing, if you often have more than one site open at a time then this a MAJOR plus, also it doesn't download harmful junk and your CD-Keys cant be stole through it

02-04-2005, 02:59 PM
ULTiMATE is offline ULTiMATE
Expertise:
Software:

ULTiMATE is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to ULTiMATE Send a message via AIM to ULTiMATE Send a message via MSN to ULTiMATE

Old

Originally Posted by Picard102
IE, cuase it doesnt matter what you use. It's your audiance. IE still retains a 90% share of the market for general computer users.
Wouldn't it still work the other way around? If 90% of people used FF, people would still add fixes for IE. Anyways, that's almost the same as saying 90% of the population doesn't know how to spell properly, so i'll write my book with spellings that are easier for people to understand. It's like using Nee instead of Knee.

02-04-2005, 03:03 PM
jamesyfx is offline jamesyfx
Expertise: Design
Software: TextEdit

jamesyfx is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jamesyfx

Old

People just use IE becuase it's there, not becuase they think it's better.

02-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Dave is offline Dave
Expertise:
Software:

Dave is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via MSN to Dave

Old

Everyone says that 90% of the audience uses IE..

BUT it depends on the audience you aim for. Obviously, on a site like THIS, the most popular browser if Firefox. So if you design for IE and it looks crap in Firefox, then a lot of people are gonna say this site would look crap, as a lot of your audience is gonna be using FireFox.

As for my site (CYS) 50% of visitors use Internet Explorer and 49% use Firefox. 1% use a load of other crap..

The VAST majority of IE users are people who come onto the internet for small amounts of time, and/or gamers, who have no interest in graphics or web design.

Oh, anoter downfall of IE is the way it portrays PNG images. No transparency? Pffft.

02-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Gethin is offline Gethin
Expertise:
Software:

Gethin is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Gethin

Old

I always used to use IE because its the one that was installed... it wasnt untill a few months ago that i actually really got into the net and found firefox... now im in love

02-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Dave is offline Dave
Expertise:
Software:

Dave is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via MSN to Dave

Old

That's what I was like. I used to have the same opinion as Robson, until JamesYooKay persuaded me to take a look at Firefox. I did, and slowly but surely, i started to notice more and more limitations to IE.

Then I used Opera for a while and realised that that was better than IE, too.

02-04-2005, 03:36 PM
lightofmind is offline lightofmind
Software:

lightofmind is on a distinguished road

Old

The real reason why Firefox is an improvement over IE is the fact that Firefox fully supports W3C standards. You have to understand that MS chose to win the browser war over Netscape by providing their customers (IE users) a better feature base: more tricks, tools and proprietary code that developers could take advantage of. Sure, Netscape had the <blink> tag, but IE featured these wonderful little things called ActiveX controls (sarcasm intentional) that developers could use to do all sorts of cool things, standards be damned.

The addition of feature sets within the progression of IE has been wonderful for the end user: the person just wanting to surf the web. However, for developers, it has made life a living nightmare. Before the wide emergence of standards-based browsers (when Mozilla bought out Netscape's browser), we only had to worry about supporting IE. At that time, very few of us really understood what the W3C was talking about regarding web standards, since (nearly) everything they proposed would break IE.

Take a look at the evolution of the web since the time Mozilla emerged. Standards have come out of the closet to become a driving force on the internet. True separation of structure and presentation is now within grasp, something that was nearly impossible with IE 4, 5, and 5.5. Sure, IE still has approximately 90% of the browser market, but it's dropping every day. As it drops, MS is realizing that developers actually care about web standards. This can only be a good thing.

So why is Firefox important? Because Firefox is the browser that will change the way that we, as developers, look at the web. No longer do we have to code for IE first, and worry about the 0.5% of users out there that are using a secondary browser. We can now code for standards-compliance first, then go back and hack our code for IE.

The more people that make the switch to a standards-compliant browser the faster we can move towards a web that is useable and accessible.

Sorry for the long-winded diatribe. I'll get off my soapbox now.

02-08-2005, 03:04 PM
kiswa is offline kiswa
Expertise:
Software:

kiswa is on a distinguished road

Old

What lightofmind said.

Also, Firefox is open source, free, and the most secure browser on the market.

If you want the safest online experience, use Firefox.

It is also very easy to customize with themes and extensions and supports all the most common plugins (Flash, Java, Quicktime, etc.). And did I mention it's open source and free? And secure?

For more information, please check out: http://www.spreadfirefox.com

Also, the email client that was made by the same people, Thunderbird, is a very good open source, free, email client.

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >