Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1733 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Newbie, how do I get started?

Thread title: Newbie, how do I get started?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
09-24-2008, 10:59 PM
akumasofia is offline akumasofia
Software:

akumasofia is on a distinguished road

Old  Newbie, how do I get started?

Hi everyone, I'm new here and also kind of new to the world of freelancing (I was working as an employee webmaster/designer at a company for a few years, but it just went under...). I'm thinking that rather than looking for a full-time w-2 gig I should just bite the bullet and try to make it on my own...

..but, where do I start? I have a few potential clients I'm getting in touch with but I have no office (just my home comp, which luckily has copies of the needed software), no business line, no website, no business license, etc. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and frustrated because building infrastructure like the above stuff isn't going to pay my bills right away. Know what I mean?

So, again, where would you start? Just I just get operational and worry about everything else later, or spend a little bit of time setting up first?

09-24-2008, 11:28 PM
hyproVision is offline hyproVision
Expertise:
Software:

hyproVision is on a distinguished road

Old

Well you need to spend money to make money... Although if you know the "potential clients" personally then you have a possible chance of making money without even spending it. Get a little client base going first(these would obviously involve personal clients as non-personal clients may want to see an online portfolio and what not - which you do not have at the moment), once you have some funds from doing personal projects you can then invest that back into your online portfolio thus expanding your business.

09-25-2008, 12:04 AM
akumasofia is offline akumasofia
Software:

akumasofia is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by hyproVision View Post
Well you need to spend money to make money... Although if you know the "potential clients" personally then you have a possible chance of making money without even spending it. Get a little client base going first(these would obviously involve personal clients as non-personal clients may want to see an online portfolio and what not - which you do not have at the moment), once you have some funds from doing personal projects you can then invest that back into your online portfolio thus expanding your business.
That's sound advice and thank you. However, these potential clients -- I "know" them but not on a really intimate basis (they are hold-overs from the rolodex at my last co), and I am a little concerned about appearing "professional". Or should I just be honest and let the quality of my work speak for itself at this stage (ie I can't afford a fancy online portfolio or a hightech PBX system, etc)

09-25-2008, 12:28 AM
hyproVision is offline hyproVision
Expertise:
Software:

hyproVision is on a distinguished road

Old

Coming across professional always seems to be the best idea, clients will automatically gain that little bit more trust with you simply because you came across as a professional, if your work is high-quality then there's no reason not to act professional.

Starting off from the very bottom as an offline freelancer will be more problematic with getting clients than you would online. I suggest you start online first, sell a few templates here and there(here, sitepoint, digitalpoint, etc), make a few connections by networking, make some money, build an online client base and hey presto you'll have some money to make a website, business cards, stationary and more in no time.

Once you're happy with your role then take it to the next level - offline marketing.

09-25-2008, 04:51 PM
dirtydingusmaggee is offline dirtydingusmaggee
Software:

dirtydingusmaggee is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by hyproVision View Post
Coming across professional always seems to be the best idea, clients will automatically gain that little bit more trust with you simply because you came across as a professional, if your work is high-quality then there's no reason not to act professional.

Starting off from the very bottom as an offline freelancer will be more problematic with getting clients than you would online. I suggest you start online first, sell a few templates here and there(here, sitepoint, digitalpoint, etc), make a few connections by networking, make some money, build an online client base and hey presto you'll have some money to make a website, business cards, stationary and more in no time.

Once you're happy with your role then take it to the next level - offline marketing.
I agreee. i do some freelancing too and appearing professional is a really important aspect of the business. if you build trust, you'll build clientele that will keep coming back and coming back, etc

that having been said, you probably know that you don't have to break the bank to look professional. it's all online for gosh sakes. google sells domains for 10 bucks a year, which will give you your own person email domain: johann@johannthedesigner.com (if this is a link I'm sorry, it's fake obviously) or whatever. you don't even need a full website right away, the email addy alone sends a message. there are also a LOT of affordable advanced voicemail providers out there -- I use gotvmail and like it...I don't need every inch of the functionality yet but as my business starting getting bigger I wanted a 1-800 and a few other things.

but your main mission right now should be impressing the clients you do have. word of mouth/referrals can really make or break a freelancer

10-01-2008, 02:17 AM
MorningGlory is offline MorningGlory
Expertise:
Software:

MorningGlory is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to MorningGlory

Old

This was a helpful read. Thanks!

10-01-2008, 03:43 AM
JustWordpress is offline JustWordpress
Expertise:
Software:

JustWordpress is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to JustWordpress

Old

Very helpful as I recently just got into the freelancing world after I lost my job. Thanks for the read!

11-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Janey is offline Janey
Software:

Janey is on a distinguished road

Old

Yeah same! just started myself, been searching through freelancer sites to pick up tips, freelance switch is a good one, and freelance advisor.co.uk

11-06-2008, 03:28 PM
bradford is offline bradford
Software:

bradford is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to bradford Send a message via MSN to bradford

Old

Order "How to be a Rockstar Freelancer" I'm reading it now and its great.

11-06-2008, 04:22 PM
the matt is offline the matt
Expertise:
Software:

the matt is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to the matt

Old

Originally Posted by Bradfordp26 View Post
Order "How to be a Rockstar Freelancer" I'm reading it now and its great.
Yea I would recommend reading How to be a Rockstar Freelancer

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >