Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1620 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     Web Design Resources :

Should I start an Award site ?

Thread title: Should I start an Award site ?
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
09-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Aaron Moody is offline Aaron Moody
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

Aaron Moody is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Aaron Moody

Old

All I can say is goodluck and tell us what you choose to do

09-19-2005, 07:13 PM
FlashPearls is offline FlashPearls
Software:

FlashPearls is on a distinguished road

Old

Wii, if you're looking to showcase websites that are either CSS-based OR Flash-based, you'll probably have to offer some additional unique features to give users a reason to visit your website as opposed to their favorite individual CSS and Flash showcase websites. As far as CSS sites go, CSS Beauty, Stylegala, and CSS Vault are well established with active communities, so it would be difficult to attract visitors to your site from the CSS community if all you have to offer them is another CSS showcase. Perhaps you may want to only showcase CSS and Flash sites from your area of the globe. That would at least give you a niche.

If you're looking to showcase websites that are created with BOTH CSS AND Flash, then I can speak from experience that it will be difficult to find fresh content. When I launched Flash Pearls last May, my goal was (and still is) for it to eventually become a showcase for Flash sites that incorporate CSS and web standards. I knew it would be difficult to find sites that fit that criterion, so I have made it a Flash showcase and I give special recognition to those that support web standards. As of right now, I've showcased 103 websites, and only *5* support standards. I know there are older websites I could add to increase that number, but I want to keep my content fresh, and finding new Flash/CSS websites has proven to be difficult.

I think the key to a successful showcase website (and business for that matter) is a niche. That's what I'm trying to do with Flash Pearls (keyword there is "trying" ). It's a lot easier, and a better asset to the design community, to fill an empty niche than to try to directly compete with what's already out there.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

09-19-2005, 08:17 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

Go for it mate, sounds like a good idea

09-19-2005, 08:21 PM
wii is offline wii
Expertise:
Software:

wii is on a distinguished road

Old

The idea is to showcase BOTH css and flash sites. I know all the famous award sites, but most of them are either css or flash - not both, that is where I want to make the difference. I know itīs hard to get established, but I do believe itīs possible with a good domain name and some promotion.

I know Flashpearls very well (I even got listed), and the concept is quite unique, both in terms of the way you show the screenshots and the idea of flash and css, which you know is a quite rare combination, the reason for that is simple, flash is not well implemented by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) yet, and thatīs why few flash designers care about validated code in their flashsites. In my case, I do plan to make my flashsite validate, since everything else I do is valid xhtml/css code. I will do this for the next update of my site.

I do believe you are right about creating a niche for a successful showcase website, I do plan something more than just another showcase, Iīll keep you posted.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2