Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1105 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Hardware Discussion :

New Computer Specs

Thread title: New Computer Specs
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
07-21-2007, 12:18 AM
Matsta is offline Matsta
Expertise:
Software:

Matsta is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Matsta Send a message via MSN to Matsta

Old

WTF Pentium Core 2 Duo? The dual Pentium's are alrite but theyre more of a baby core 2 duo. Also the E6600 is old, the've got replacements of them now.
The 8600GT is a piece of Junk, you better off going with a 7600GT or 7900GS like you picked Duality, but if you want to stretch your budget , a 8800GTS is a fine choice.
Also i'm guessing your on a tight budget, because the CPU and mobo are really cheap atm

07-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Josh.UK is offline Josh.UK
Expertise:
Software:

Josh.UK is on a distinguished road

Old

I would definitely go for one of the better Intel Core Duo's, one of the chips that has a 4mb cache, the one in my laptop is the T7200 chip, but i think they are different names for desktop CPU's.

As for video cards, if you plan on playing DX10 games, buy a cheap video card for now and wait for the next batch of DX10 cards to come out when they have ironed out all of the issues.

07-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Encore is offline Encore
Expertise:
Software:

Encore is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to Encore Send a message via AIM to Encore Send a message via MSN to Encore Send a message via Yahoo to Encore

Old

Originally Posted by Matsta View Post
WTF Pentium Core 2 Duo? The dual Pentium's are alrite but theyre more of a baby core 2 duo. Also the E6600 is old, the've got replacements of them now.
The 8600GT is a piece of Junk, you better off going with a 7600GT or 7900GS like you picked Duality, but if you want to stretch your budget , a 8800GTS is a fine choice.
Also i'm guessing your on a tight budget, because the CPU and mobo are really cheap atm
Your comments aren't actually very helpful, because judging by the setup he has posted he doesn't want to re-mortgage his house for this system. Which is WHY I posted some hardware which me might be interested in.

I suggested an 8600GTS because they're actually rather powerful, have a low price tag AND support DX10. And the E6600 maybe old (what, like a year and a bit?), but it's very, very, very well priced and the speeds it can reach are excellent. Any better processor would be like a quad core or something...At £700 a pop.

07-22-2007, 07:31 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

Here's a quote from http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=638&p=5:

Normally the excitement created by next generation hardware would be enough to fuel us for two days worth of testing and writing. However, after a few tests something just did not seem right, not for a brand new mid-range graphics card. The 8600 GTS seemed far too slow and after messing around with various drivers and hardware configurations it became clear that the 8600 GTS was in fact slow!

Despite the fact that with maximum in game quality settings the 8600 GTS delivered playable performance in X3: Reunion, Far Cry, Supreme Commander and Prey at 1920x1200, it was still slow compared to the competition. It is important to keep in mind that the 8600 GTS currently costs 20% more than the 7900 GS, because in many of our tests we found the 7900 GS to be faster. However, the real problem surfaces when you consider that the 8800 GTS (320MB) graphics cards cost just $75 US more, making them about 35% more expensive. This sounds fine until you put the 8600 GTS head to head with the 8800 GTS (320MB); needless to say the latter is significantly faster!

The only advantage the 8600 GTS has over existing mid-range graphics cards is its Direct X10 support and full H.264 video decoding. Both are nice features, but whether or not they make purchasing the 8600 GTS worth it will depend on the user’s needs. Furthermore, it is yet to be proven if the 8600 GTS graphics cards will even be powerful enough to drive upcoming DX10 games. The Inno3D version of the 8600 GTS is just as uninspiring as the GPU itself. While not entirely Inno3D’s fault, their package consists of almost nothing and what you get is little more than a Nvidia reference card. The only bonus is that this should be one of the cheapest 8600 GTS graphics cards available and it comes with a 2 year warranty should you keep the card that long.
I hope this helps you with your video card decision making. I would go with 7000 series cards over the 8000 series any day. Every single review of the 8000 series has been terrible, except for the 8800's (super expensive).

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2