Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1916 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Hardware Discussion :

Case/Mobo problems (cable connections)

Thread title: Case/Mobo problems (cable connections)
Closed Thread    
07-06-2007, 04:16 AM
Andrew R is offline Andrew R
Expertise:
Software:

Andrew R is on a distinguished road

Old  Case/Mobo problems (cable connections)

Hey, I'm in the middle of working on my computer, and I figure I would try to setup the cables coming from the front of the case (for sound, USB, and Firewire) to the motherboard, however I ran into a snag and neither the motherboard nor the case manual is helping.

Also, sorry for the image quality.. it should be higher, I mean the camera is like $300 and about 8.1MP.

Firewire
Right now, I have a cable for Firewire (1394), and trying to find where it goes on the motherboard. I found where it is supposed to go, however this is how the cable looks:

It has a connector coming from the main cable (black), and then from there, it goes into seperate connectors. Here is the problem. The bigger connector would fit perfectly in the slot, however, I could also use those singular connections and put them on the right place, and still possibly work (they have the same labels and layout in my motherboard diagram). My question is, which should I plug into the motherboard? I can't zoom in close enough with this camera for some reason, but the main connector says "1394", and then the rest are all labeled accordingly.

Audio
For now, I'm going to be using the sound card that came with my motherboard until I get a new one (my old Audigy isn't cutting it anymore, time to go X-Fi). It's ASUS Supreme FX or something like that. I have the same issue, however you will see I have TWO bigger connectors (both will fit into the slot), and then the smaller ones, again labeled correctly so they would fit. The two main connectors are labeled "HD AUDIO" (first one from cable), and "AC`97" (second from cable). Here is an image of those cables, plus one of what it would plug into.. (Note: these two connectors have one solid plastic piece where normally a pin would go, and the board is missing one.. perfect match).

Thanks if anyone can help me figure out what goes where, my manuals aren't helping me other than where they connect to (not which connectors to use on the cord).

07-06-2007, 04:29 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

In both cases use the larger connectors if you have the slots for them (which you do). If you had a mobo that did not have the slots, then you'd go with the single jumper connectors.

07-06-2007, 04:30 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Okay, so they are more like backups than anything?

(I would've just tried it, but I don't even have my PSU here yet, as it's going to be here tomorrow, and I'd have to install windows and such first). Thanks!

07-06-2007, 05:53 AM
Vizon is offline Vizon - Click for my Image
Expertise:
Software:

Vizon is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

I couldn't find a firewire on my mobo so thats disconnected. I found the others by looking in the detailed view in the manual, or I found it because the mobo labels things in tiny letters.

07-07-2007, 02:26 AM
Cory is offline Cory
Expertise: Fedex Marketing Director.
Software: Firefox.

Cory is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Andrew R View Post
Okay, so they are more like backups than anything?

(I would've just tried it, but I don't even have my PSU here yet, as it's going to be here tomorrow, and I'd have to install windows and such first). Thanks!

Yes they are basically just backup connections or a lot of companys do that so it will work with all sorts of mobo's.

07-07-2007, 05:02 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Instead of starting a new thread, thought I'd post here. NEW COMPUTER FTW! (I'm on it right now after a bit of problems building it).

07-07-2007, 05:08 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

My first build was done in less than an hour.

! Had quite a few windows XP problems on it though

07-07-2007, 05:19 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Total, mine took a couple of hours, because I spent time wiring it, zip tying the cables and such (which I had to undo). But I tried booting it, didn't work, so I had to call EVGA to see if it was my video card (no signal).. I ended up realizing I forgot to plug in one of the power cables, and then I also had to reseat the CPU chip. I'll have some pictures tomorrow when I finish up zip tying the cables.

07-07-2007, 05:28 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Ya after I built my computer I newegged some zip ties and some blue sata cords which took a few mins to install. They are in the image about ^^. The mobo power cord is thick and hard to get out of the way...The only thing I like about this case is that the cpu fan has a cover around it on the clear panel for the air to exit. Besides that its a cheap crappy case that wasn't worth $150 lol.

Closed Thread