Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1425 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     Web Design Resources :

Completion Time Estimates

Thread title: Completion Time Estimates
Closed Thread    
09-09-2005, 04:22 AM
rlevant is offline rlevant
Software:

rlevant is on a distinguished road

Old  Completion Time Estimates

I currently have seven designers working on eight different projects.

Of these one is not due yet
One was completed today only a week behind schedule
One did not set a time frame deliberately (and that is OK in this case)
One did not set a time frame but carefully stays in touch and updates

The other four are all late...

This of course throws off *my schedule*...especially when I am doingthe work for someone other than myself.

I have at times waited as much as a year from the expected delivery date.

My sense is that this happens for three reasons:

1. Some designers take on too many projects at once in hopes of making more money

2. Sometimes things come up that requires more time than anticipated by the designer (and they tend to put it off and do the ones they can complete mpre easily)

3. Life happens

What I find most frustrating is the tendency of so many to simply disappear when they are pressed and behind schedule

What are your thoughts on why this happens so often?
What can designers do to improve this situation?

09-09-2005, 04:27 AM
DogFaceBoy is offline DogFaceBoy
Expertise:
Software:

DogFaceBoy is on a distinguished road

Old

Not take on so many clients. You have to force yourself to just not reply to a topic if someone wants something.

Assuming you have a website and a team, maybe hire more people now that your "Company" is getting more active clients.

XBLT.NET

09-09-2005, 04:43 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

Use a contract, I have clauses in mine that state deadlines and penalties incurred on breach of deadline.

These are penalties that I pay to the client, since I am the designer. I have this clause because I am a professional and act as such.

If you are getting designers continuosly falling behind on deadlines then maybe you need to look at yourself and the way you manage projects. Are they getting behind because you let them? Do you stress the importance of deadlines? Is there penalties for getting behind? Consider doing a contract with your design team for each project and it should clear the matter up.

09-09-2005, 05:28 AM
chaka42 is offline chaka42
Expertise:
Software:

chaka42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to chaka42 Send a message via MSN to chaka42 Send a message via Skype™ to chaka42

Old

i agree with julian about the contract issue. you would save yourself some grief, unless of course some of your designers are from another country, then it would be somewhat difficult to enforce them.

something else you might consider is that, often times, the money or payment does not match the amount of work being performed. in this case, just as the contract and time management issue, motivation is key.

i thinlk you should read this article for ideas on how you can fix your problems (http://www.returnofdesign.com/78/the...m-theory.html). remember that little saying, too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth?

Closed Thread