Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1566 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Development Software and Tools :

What makes vBulletin so special?

Thread title: What makes vBulletin so special?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
10-23-2005, 01:42 AM
Cheyne is offline Cheyne
Software:

Cheyne is on a distinguished road

Old  What makes vBulletin so special?

Hey guys

I see that TalkFreelance, and many many other big forum sites are using vBulletin.

Just wondering what makes it worth paying for when others such as phpbb and the others are free. I have uised the free ones before, but never vBulletin.

10-23-2005, 01:47 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

Hey there,

I'm not technical so I can't really go into why vbulletin is better than phpbb in terms of it's code...but i'm told it is As far as a user standpoint (administrator) it offers alot of powerful features and everything is laid out in a very easy and straight forward way!

It's also very fast, vbulletin has a great support team and there are so many mods/hacks and skins available. Custom skins for vb are alot more popular than invision board of phpbb and that's one of the reasons I went with the product.

vbulletin has been around for along time, it's a commercial product and it's also very secure! phpbb had a huge bug last year that made alot of forums vunerable to basically being corrupted or something! I personally can't stand phpbb, it feels slow...the layout (default one) is very awkward, invision board has awful support and they charge for nearly everything!

vbulletins template system is also a big reason to choose this software, it's laid out in such a way that you can quickly and easily edit the code

10-23-2005, 01:51 AM
MaxS is offline MaxS
Expertise:
Software:

MaxS is on a distinguished road

Old

vBulletin is great. It has a ton more features that phpBB. In my opinion, phpBB is lacking a lot when it comes to administration. I won't talk much about IPB since it's no longer free. The paid version of IPB is nice, not quite as nice as vBulletin though.

10-23-2005, 10:10 AM
tickedon is offline tickedon
Expertise:
Software:

tickedon is on a distinguished road

Old

1. Support

Nothing beats vBulletin's support team. They've got an item on their website that shows their response time for the last 30 issues - it varies from an hour or so to a few hours. Not only do you get the quick replies, you also get proper replies that explain all the possibilities.

2. Community

There’s a huge community of vBulletin users who create hacks and lend a hand. If there’s something you need for your forum, chances are it already exists.

3. Performance

Reason many big sites run it is that it doesn’t fall over on its knees (like some other systems) when you’ve more than few users online at once.

4. Features

Comes with a huge number of configuration options – it’s extremely flexible in how you set it up.

10-23-2005, 11:06 AM
techo is offline techo
Software:

techo is on a distinguished road

Old

Yeah, most of the skinners use VB.

10-23-2005, 02:27 PM
Peter Avey is offline Peter Avey
Expertise:
Software:

Peter Avey is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to Peter Avey

Old

I thought i would learn phpbb. IPB, and vB for skinning.. i learnt IPB and used there software.. then i moved onto vB and now i prefer there software

10-23-2005, 03:01 PM
AlexK is offline AlexK
Expertise:
Software:

AlexK is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to AlexK

Old

IMO, Robson said it all.

10-23-2005, 03:03 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

Also, because it's paid software it makes your website look alot more professional!

10-23-2005, 04:18 PM
jamesyfx is offline jamesyfx
Expertise: Design
Software: TextEdit

jamesyfx is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jamesyfx

Old

vBulletin has very few security problems, and if it does, it's repeaired as soon as possible.

phpBB is the worst of all, free or not. I dont quite understand why it's so popular amongst certain people, because it's just so bad. Security-wise, especially. The template system is crud too.

10-23-2005, 06:36 PM
ILance is offline ILance
Software:

ILance is on a distinguished road

Old

Good topic.

VBulletin is not just "special" in one way. There are numerous examples about the "Firm" as a whole that make them quite unique.

Firstly, their release of Open "Visual" Source licensing scheme. Ever wonder why there are hundreds if not thousands of active participants creating hacks for every version released? Including Beta's?

Secondly, their lead developer, "Kier" leaves no room for error. Not only this, his coding is very consistant and functions and/or classes within the scripts are used the way PHP intended for them to be used.

Thirdly, VBulletin uses what's called "Template Conditions" available within their template system. This allows any designer to dig into the templates for complete maximum control based on any code that was parsed before the call to the template system. The beauty about this is you don't even need to touch the PHP code to handle template logic. Very unique indeed. Others have begun to follow suit.

There are other major advantages for the software and company as a whole. For instance, the way they handle their support, as well as the fact they have an active bug tracker to existing members to post reports based on issues within the software. Each month or whenever they feel it's time to release the next version, all patches are fixed from the valid bug reports within the bug tracker. Their upgrade scripts work without issue! Unlike other softwares available on the market. It's very hard to compare, but IPB seems to be pretty solid as well (in terms of forum softwares).

Lastly, one of the biggest improvements to the VBulletin software would be it's newest trend/feature called Hooks. They have prepared at least 400 unique locations within their software to allow any developer to make use of these special locations to completely customize the software to do what you want, whenever you want. (example: send new posts from a particular forum to a seperate email address if required).

Either way, many people may try to compare VBulletin with other softwares but if you simply look at the statistics, you don't see Yahoo going to IPB or any other company to handle their online forums. They have chosen VBulletin. It's only logicial, you don't see big boys with big sites running IPB or PHPBB. Maybe you do or know of any, but facts are facts - the statistics don't lie.

I wonder what choice you'll be making in the end. For what it's worth, pay the $160 and learn the system. You and your member base will thank them later.

Off-topic for a moment, I also wonder why Talkfreelance has chosen VBulletin. Theres just no comparsion to any other forum software (yet). Why? I'll tell you - it's because those to attempt to create forum software tend to fall back on "What does VB have"? in the end VB will always have more features than the rest, and if they wanted to call it game over, they would by integrating their "Hack" sites with hundreds of addons into commerical software with at least 1000+ active developers helping the firm grow into something monsterous.

With Yahoo on the go with VBulletin, I think this will pressure them a little more into refining their options as a company. Refine what? I'm not sure, we'll all just have to wait and see. I've heard some talk about Draggable AJAX options for their content/layout and for what it's worth, blogs are a huge trend/way of life for some people at the moment. This is something they'll need to break into as IPB as already (started or completed?) their blogs addon. (I think)...

Regards,
Peter

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >