Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 861 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Your take on moderating first time users...

Thread title: Your take on moderating first time users...
04-02-2013, 08:09 PM
vVv is offline vVv
Software:

vVv is on a distinguished road

Old  Your take on moderating first time users...

Just curious as to how you handle first time users at your forums. I'm wondering if it's wise to limit newly "Registered" users to creating an "Introduction" thread first, and it's moderated. Then once confirming if they're spam or legit, elevate their "status" to "Member" usergroup, which gives them more forum access and feature access?

Basically all "main forums", like News and Updates, Suggestions and Feedback, Member Web Sites and etc are limited to "reply only" but moderated as well. All other community forums can be seen and etc, just not able for registered users to post new threads and etc though. In a sense, basically forcing users to post a decent Introduction thread first, then be manually elevated to "Member".

Is this considered bad? I guess, spam prevention falls on software and anti-spam plugins as well as the staff to delete and ban spammers. I guess I just want the users to post at least a good Introduction thread, and it be known that they're in fact a legit/member"... Not just letting any newly registered person join, spam bombing any and all sections.

As done here, you need to make a few posts first, before accessing marketplace and other areas. I suppose I could do that as well, but if they know that, then they might also post X to XX crappy posts that don't help either lol. I just want to also make "legit" users into "Member" group for all "legit" people though too. Thoughts?

04-04-2013, 10:12 PM
vVv is offline vVv
Software:

Old

No one? Lol. I guess I figured out what I'm doing now though, got some ideas and such from German forum software community, where I have to use google translate 99% of time. but at least they help. Lol.

04-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Your mistake was coming to TalkFreelance and looking for replies!

04-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

A forum I was once involved with was considering restricting registrations based on IP location. People outside of the allowed countries could apply for membership and would be granted such if they looked like an asset to the forum. This stemmed from an observation that the vast majority of these users came from common outsourcing destinations.

04-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

"A forum I was once involved with" aka. TalkFreelance.

Back to Spencer, personally I would dislike being forced to make an introductory post of any kind before being allowed to become a member of a forum or website. I would dislike even more for the judgement of whether my first and only post was "spam or legit" to be the deciding factor of whether I can continue being involved or not.

Instead of putting barriers up for "normal" users of a website, I'd love to see far, far fewer in place! Signing up to websites is already a pain enough as it is. Don't make it worse just because of the spammers.

04-07-2013, 04:44 AM
KewL is offline KewL
Expertise: Design, Music, Xhtml, Css
Software: Photoshop, Coda, FL Studio

KewL is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Who are the admins/mods here these days?

04-07-2013, 04:59 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

No one, I made the forum effectively abandoned when I resigned. Artashes isn't even replying to my emails. The first time I resigned I emailed him and he never even came to check the forum (although he did send a reply). I came back as staff and sent him another email for which he never replied to, I then resigned for good and removed my ability to put myself back in place (I had the cPanel info).

So in other words: Artashes isn't even paying attention to this site, no one is running it and the coat of spam you see now will soon grow into a thick layer of sediment burying real content for only archaeologists to find (that means you, Salathe). In 8 days it will be five months since Artashes has logged on .

As I said in another thread, if you want to keep in touch you can add me on facebook. I'm probably going to stop coming here altogether soon. https://www.facebook.com/dan.berliner.1

04-07-2013, 06:21 PM
vVv is offline vVv
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Salathe View Post
Your mistake was coming to TalkFreelance and looking for replies!
true i guess lol.

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
A forum I was once involved with was considering restricting registrations based on IP location. People outside of the allowed countries could apply for membership and would be granted such if they looked like an asset to the forum. This stemmed from an observation that the vast majority of these users came from common outsourcing destinations.
Ah, kind of like... blocking IPs from known spam countries, but not actually banning those IPs? I usually don't do anything with IPs unless I know for fact, they are spammers. Then I block/ban their IP ranges. Cause there are some legit people from other countries, it's just all a gamble lol.

Originally Posted by Salathe View Post
"A forum I was once involved with" aka. TalkFreelance.

Back to Spencer, personally I would dislike being forced to make an introductory post of any kind before being allowed to become a member of a forum or website. I would dislike even more for the judgement of whether my first and only post was "spam or legit" to be the deciding factor of whether I can continue being involved or not.

Instead of putting barriers up for "normal" users of a website, I'd love to see far, far fewer in place! Signing up to websites is already a pain enough as it is. Don't make it worse just because of the spammers.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing actually. I always hated/disliked being moderated on IPB/IPS forums as new member / possible customer.. Each of my posts were moderated in the Presales section. I kind of brushed it off with the first post, but then any replies after were moderated as well. I never bought their software, nor did I go back again posting questions.

But after I thought about it longer, you're right, it's not fair to punish normal users at all, just because of the spammers themselves. And you are right too, about it being harder to join forums/sites as it is. Joining sites should be made as easy as possible. What I decided to do, is left the registered users, post freely as normal / expected. I just made it as per thread creation, gives them 15 points to account, and each post gives them 5 points to account.

Then to become "Member", in "Member" usergroup from Registered group.. is 15 points. Which gives them points for posting of course, and yet doesn't restrict them features/ functions either. Most spammers would be noticed and handled anyway, before the spammers would become "Member" as well. So registered users get/gain points, and another normal "Members" get points as well. So it works for me/staff, as well as members too.