Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1187 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

XHTML vs HTML?

Thread title: XHTML vs HTML?
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
09-04-2007, 06:03 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

^, ^^ win.

09-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

I use XHTML (strict) because of the more strictly defined patterns of marking up the document. It just doesn't sit right with me that, for example, quotes around attribute values can be optional or opening tags don't need to get closed. Plus, the X just sound that bit more, Xtreme and cutting edge. Why use HTML when you can use XtremeHTML?!

09-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Sulcalibur is offline Sulcalibur
Expertise:
Software:

Sulcalibur is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Sulcalibur

Old

As everyone has said there is no point if you aren't using the XML side of things, but I think it's good practice to use XHTML just to get into the habits. Plus the clients always think it's cool to use the latest in 'in thing'.

I just think it's best to use XHTML to condition your coding for the future.

09-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Metal-CX is offline Metal-CX
Software:

Metal-CX is on a distinguished road

Old

I just do it because when you work with CSS and only use your (x)html files to present data you get A) A much nicer code and B) a much more flexible code.

For example, if you want to create a new skin, instead of going around and changing every html file you have, just mess with the few CSS files you have made. It's just... Smarter. I guess.

I'm also used to it... But all that "HTML sucks" and "if you can't code XHTML you suck" hype is idiotic. It's like those Linux users that bash Microsoft for every tiny little thing... I'm a Linux user myself, as I'm an XHTML coder, but every thing has its advantages/disadvantages. Linux is faster, more scalable, etc, and Windows (with the help of brilliant marketing) supports more programs. Just as XHTML is faster and more scalable, HTML is fully supported by many browsers and just works, 99.99% of the time.

09-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Metal-CX View Post
For example, if you want to create a new skin, instead of going around and changing every html file you have, just mess with the few CSS files you have made. It's just... Smarter. I guess.
wtf? html works with css.

09-05-2007, 12:59 AM
creativejen is offline creativejen
Expertise: design, front-end markup
Software: Photoshop

creativejen is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to creativejen

Old

Originally Posted by derek lapp View Post
lol, *puzzled* with Metal-CX, "i'm a linux user, as i'm a xhtml coder", so your implying that any programmer who doesnt use linux is in some sort of "wrong"?

09-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Originally Posted by derek lapp View Post
Metal-CX didn't say that HTML doesn't work with CSS. He said that he uses CSS for the presentation of well marked-up HTML/XHTML documents because it is easier to manage that way.

Originally Posted by iamAdam View Post
lol, *puzzled* with Metal-CX, "i'm a linux user, as i'm a xhtml coder", so your implying that any programmer who doesnt use linux is in some sort of "wrong"?
Again, Metal-CX didn't say that programmers must use Linux. He said that everything has advantages and disadvantages which come together to decide what software he/we use. He is a linux user and codes his documents using XHTML. I'm a Mac user and almost exclusively use XHTML (1.0 Strict). Someone else likely uses Windows XP and HTML 4. Not one of them are right or wrong. Just different.

09-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

yeah but what does using css for presentation have to do with html vs xhtml?

"I just do it [use xhtml] because when you work with CSS .... *css design tangent"

that's a totally different topic. you can do all the same css design advantages with html4, so where do advantages and disadvantages come into play there? that's all i'm wondering.

09-10-2007, 01:56 AM
Metal-CX is offline Metal-CX
Software:

Metal-CX is on a distinguished road

Old

Ok, first of all I have to say that it is kind of awkward that you can't get any respect in this community for being friendly, and that you must bash other people. Well I'm not gonna get into this argument for the sake of getting popular around here, but more because you guys need to be put in your place.

So. First of all, Props to Salathe for ignoring the rolling ignorance and acting like a proper homosapien.

Now, your comments are just out there because you like to think they make you look smart. Erm. While they do have a taste of logic in them, they only make you look narrow minded and most of all they make you sound like jackasses.

Even if HTML can be used properly with CSS to display data only, while CSS takes care of the rest, this is not HTML's ideology. HTML is a language that was made to display data on the web, yes, but more than that, it was made as a language that can determine how data is presented on the web.

The whole idea of XHTML, on the other hand, is to divide data from presentation. So if you're gonna use HTML to do XHTML's job... Er. Ok. That's possible... But why not just use XHTML then?

Another thing to keep in mind... It is becoming clearer every day that the web is moving towards XML every day that passes. So yeah, you can code HTML and everything will work fine... But just for the sake of progressing, why not use XHTML? Hell, it's like saying "We have horses and camels to bring us everywhere we wanna go... Why the hell should we use wheels?". So yeah. It's possible... But it just doesn't make much sense to me.

"I'm a Linux user, as I'm an XHTML coder" I phrased that wrong. If you read it better, and didn't just get stuck on that line and quickly scrolled down to the quick reply to try and make me look like an idiot, you might have seen what I was talking about. I was comparing the difference between XHTML and HTML with the difference between Linux and Windows.

Now don't be a smart ass and say that it's not. I know it's not really. I (probably unlike you) have used both systems for years. I was just using a metaphor... Still slow? Here, maybe this will help you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor

Ok now if you still have something to say I'll be glad to h.. read it.

09-10-2007, 03:12 AM
Andrew R is offline Andrew R
Expertise:
Software:

Andrew R is on a distinguished road

Old

You call us jackasses and then make that post? Can you say hypocrite? You even feel the need to belittle us because you think that we don't understand the meaning of a metaphor?

Also, what you stated was the original purpose of HTML, before CSS was even a thought in HTML developers heads (time of marquee and blink). Things change. I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T use XHTML, I'm just saying that if you don't use the XML capabilities, there is no bonus over HTML 4.01 maybe besides you being used to the small markup differences better.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >