Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 787 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Is it possible to create good looking websites in just html/css?

Thread title: Is it possible to create good looking websites in just html/css?
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
04-28-2005, 09:59 AM
dojo is offline dojo
Expertise: Wordpress, web design
Software: Photoshop, Crimson Editor

dojo is on a distinguished road

Old

Still by making images out off CSS means you need IMAGES to make a site look good. So I'd rather put a small one made in Photoshop than code like crazy to get the same result

04-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Geert is offline Geert
Expertise:
Software:

Geert is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to Geert

Old

Even this very forum looks better without images. Way more peaceful. Less borders, shadows and gradients. Look at this:

(Of course I do not mean to say this forum looks bad with images. It is nevertheless one of the best designed forums I know.)

04-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Stephen is offline Stephen
Expertise:
Software:

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Stephen Send a message via MSN to Stephen

Old

Originally Posted by Geert
Even this very forum looks better without images. Way more peaceful. Less borders, shadows and gradients. Look at this:

(Of course I do not mean to say this forum looks bad with images. It is nevertheless one of the best designed forums I know.)
I know what you mean its a simple style but very classy. I really love this forum style thats what made me join the site so it must be powerfull to make somone like me join!

05-12-2005, 04:18 PM
plattopus is offline plattopus
Expertise:
Software:

plattopus is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to plattopus

Old

My website uses only one header image (which is 0.3kb in size) and a grand total of 5.2k worth of icons. It's a very simplistic site, but I wouldn't call it horrible either (it has menu effects etc to make it interesting).

05-13-2005, 01:00 PM
smashingjay is offline smashingjay
Expertise:
Software:

smashingjay is on a distinguished road

Old

OK folks,

What is the point of this thread? My personal bias is towards not using tables for presentational markup (I still have sites up that do). If you have data or information that is suited to a table then put it in one. You can add all the images and tacky animated gif's you want without using tables if you know how to use background images and divs correctly. The advantages of this method is that you don't have to rebuild complex sliced graphically designed interfaces in PShop or FWorks everytime you want to add or change a Nav button. There are examples of sites that even still use graphically replaced buttons for navs so the designer has typographical control over the typface but this is done using CSS.

They key benefits of using (X)HTML for the document and all presentational markup in CSS is that the client has lower maintenance costs, sites can degrade gracefully when no images are on, or if there is no CSS support. By eliminating tables for a client's design I was able to reduce his page weight by 60%. The layout is visually identical but I got rid of all the spacer gifs and table code. In addition the result was easier for him to add content as the base page was only 75 lines not 175.

BTW there is nothing wrong with flash if it is for exciting motion oriented content. But PLEASE stop with building the entire site in flash with flash buttons and a 35 second intro to get to a site for the local animal shelter. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Having integrated flash content within an entertaiment site is a fine idea if it will lead to a customer buying a product or service. If it is there because the company thinks flash is neat is a joke.

Any way that is my $0.02 CAD ($0.0158765 USD)

Jay

05-30-2005, 08:50 PM
seen.to is offline seen.to
Expertise:
Software:

seen.to is on a distinguished road

Old

I didn't have time to even think about this when the thread was first posted but yesterday I was bored and started thinking about it and came up with something that doesn't have a single image.

It's not all that tbh and it's also not practical as it only works in FireFox and if you don't have the Trebuchet MS font it will also probably break, but all the same I offer this as an example/foundation of what can be achieved with XHTML/CSS without the use of images.

http://www.yournewdesigner.com/imagefree.html

05-30-2005, 10:44 PM
Koobi is offline Koobi
Software:

Koobi is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by seen.to
I didn't have time to even think about this when the thread was first posted but yesterday I was bored and started thinking about it and came up with something that doesn't have a single image.

It's not all that tbh and it's also not practical as it only works in FireFox and if you don't have the Trebuchet MS font it will also probably break, but all the same I offer this as an example/foundation of what can be achieved with XHTML/CSS without the use of images.

http://www.yournewdesigner.com/imagefree.html

Nice semantics
It breaks a bit on Firefox on Linux, probably because of the font. Half the menu is outside the screen. If you want, I can send you a screenshot but then again this is expected because like you said, it's font specific.

But the 3D buttons as well as the smiley faces seem to be a bit off.

05-31-2005, 07:51 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

seen.to, that's awesome!

I see you used the rounded corners technique well in that layout

05-31-2005, 08:21 AM
seen.to is offline seen.to
Expertise:
Software:

seen.to is on a distinguished road

Old

Cheers Koobi - I may try to get it working on more platforms some day but its just an experiment for now.

Julian - Thanks Not sure what the rounded corners technique is tbh... I just used some huge full-stops/periods, z-indexes and positioning.

05-31-2005, 08:54 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

Lol, ok I see now...full stops...

Heres the rounded corners technique:

http://pro.html.it/esempio/nifty/

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >