Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1643 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Apprenticeships

Thread title: Apprenticeships
Closed Thread    
05-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Marky is offline Marky
Expertise:
Software:

Marky is on a distinguished road

Old  Apprenticeships

Hey all,

Im 16 at the moment, and soon im going to be finished with school. I have my GCSE's coming up VERY soon. I have already applied for sixth form, but Im quite interested in taking an Electrician Apprenticeship. Does anyone know what you must do whilst in an Electrician Apprenticeship. Anyone with a little incite into what I might have to do?

Thanks!

- Marky

05-15-2006, 09:46 PM
RossJJ is offline RossJJ
Expertise:
Software:

RossJJ is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to RossJJ Send a message via MSN to RossJJ

Old

I also have exams soon.. early as this thursday

however in answer to your question, I'm pretty sure you should have someone in you school who comes in to talk about career options? if so I would recommend visiting them. They give you a load of useless info, but some of it is worth it.

05-15-2006, 09:55 PM
MattL is offline MattL
Expertise:
Software:

MattL is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to MattL

Old

Here is a link to a page that has some guidelines on what it takes for an apprenticeship over here: http://www.okanagan.bc.ca/Page502.aspx

Might not be the same, but figured it could be of some help, maybe give you an idea of what is all involved anyways.

05-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Aaron Michael is offline Aaron Michael
Software:

Aaron Michael is on a distinguished road

Old

It's not easy but then again it's not hard once you get the hang of things. I was going to a college class for that for a little while but I had to leave for personnal reason ( besides the point ) While I was taking that class we made switch boards learned how they work how to cut the power when needed um lets see we rewired a office building ( demonstration type of course ) we basically did every thing that you did while on the job but as for you, i don't believe you would be that much hands on at first. Once your use to it and your master thinks your ready he MAY let you do something on a house or something.

05-15-2006, 10:23 PM
Andy is offline Andy
Expertise:
Software:

Andy is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Andy

Old

Unless you're working just to make money I don't advise apprenticeships. Although you learn general skills you are more or less tied down to one road, something I would never want.

05-15-2006, 10:30 PM
MattL is offline MattL
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Trade workers are in high demand right now with all of the baby boomers retiring. I know Hydro workers that work on the electrical poles down the sides of the road that make up to $100/hr. I know contruction workers who make $40/hr. All this is because of the shortage of workers, so young people right out of Highschool getting into these trade will end up making good money. By the way, why else would you work, if you are not working just to make money? Earning money is the whole point of having a job.

05-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Andy is offline Andy
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Being happy isn't a factor in possibly the most important decision of your life? Doing a similar job every day of your life isn't as satisfying compared to having a job where you can change job specifications, work around a lot of people and work in an area which is must nicer than your house, your area or other people's houses.

05-15-2006, 11:02 PM
MattL is offline MattL
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Choosing to go forward with a Trade is a decision not unlike choosing a Career in Medical, Law, etc. Obviously if you are going to do it, you are interested in the trade. Its not like applying for a regular job, and being stuck at someplace you don't like. Working in a trade is a decision you make, and obviously if you make a decision you will make the one that makes you most happy.

05-15-2006, 11:15 PM
Andy is offline Andy
Expertise:
Software:

Old

You come from a different country where I doubt there was mass TV advertising, booklets produced etc encouraging youths to get a "life skill".

People are almost tricked into it and I know many people who go to "bad" schools who's life plan is to take it easy and get an apprenticeship.

Closed Thread