Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 867 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Web Hosting and Domain Names :

My concerns with sites like top15hosts.com!

Thread title: My concerns with sites like top15hosts.com!
Closed Thread    
01-11-2005, 04:31 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old  My concerns with sites like top15hosts.com!

Do you think these sites should be allowed?

Top15hosts.com lists the alleged top 15 hosting companies. However, a little more research uncovers the truth behind the business.

If you have enough money to burn you can buy your position in the listing, i heard from a friend (Not sure if this can be trusted) that for number 1 you are looking at $700/month!

Do you think this is morally and ethically correct? I think it is very decieving to the potential customers, for all we know the host in the number 1 position could be running a scam!

Thoughts?

01-11-2005, 11:28 PM
mderbyshire is offline mderbyshire
Software:

mderbyshire is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to mderbyshire

Old

Agreed - I am most certainly not a fan of those websites at all.

I don't mind websites such as http://www.findmyhosting.com, where you are left to decide for yourself which host is the best, by looking at package specs, prices, uptime statistics, reviews/feedback from existing customers and that particular companies hosting assured status (e.g: if the host pulls a scam, or lets issues go unresolved, the customer can report them to findmyhosting, who will change their hosting assured status accordingly, until such issues are resolved to the satisfaction of both parties).

But yes, sites such as the one you have pointed out, are (in my opinion), completely and utterly pointless -- it's simply a case of whoever is prepared to pay the most money, gets to the top of the list, regardless of their reputation or whatever else.

01-11-2005, 11:44 PM
extrawebhost is offline extrawebhost
Software:

extrawebhost is on a distinguished road

Old

yeah true top15hosts.com wanted 350$/ per month for listing my hosting company on 4th position!!

01-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

I think it also reflects on the host as well....especially when you have to pay for your reputation

01-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Jamesc is offline Jamesc
Software:

Jamesc is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Robson
I think it also reflects on the host as well....especially when you have to pay for your reputation
Repuation is normaly generated by marketing or word of mouth etc so in theory its just marketing and nothing new. You pay to advertise your company as a no1 host simple as that.

01-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Don't you think it's decieving to customers? Considering the host in position 1 or any position on the website is not actually qualified to be there.

Sure it's another form of marketing but everyone knows how sites like this operate and i think it reflects bad on the host.

I think the operater of the website should take alot of the blame though, i think it's a very cheap way to make a buck and he should certainly vet a few of the sites he lists....considering none of the hosts are actually bench marked they could possibly be scams and his site could be advertising them!

01-12-2005, 11:35 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

it's marketing, but it's bad marketing.

with the exact same theory, everyone who reads this can tell everyone not to trust this company specifically because they're dishonest and it can escalate (unlikly it would deeply affect the company though).

Closed Thread