Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1313 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     Web Design Resources :

Is vBulletin really needed?

Thread title: Is vBulletin really needed?
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
01-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Submerge is offline Submerge
Expertise:
Software:

Submerge is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Submerge

Old

I prefer vB forums if it really comes to it. But there is no difference to me. I don't see the point in not joing a forum if it isn't vB. Some people do, however. :/

01-02-2006, 11:11 PM
ULTiMATE is offline ULTiMATE
Expertise:
Software:

ULTiMATE is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to ULTiMATE Send a message via AIM to ULTiMATE Send a message via MSN to ULTiMATE

Old

The thing is, I pay for a forum script. As long as I get the best forum available I am happy. At the moment with all this new stuff, vBulletin seems to be just covering itself in unneeded crap.

Obviously, I can't base my opinions on anything solid except for posting on the forums. Sadly, I don't have the money to pay for a licence just so I can run a forum on my computer to play around with it for a year. I love running forums, but I hate paying for them.

Something I had my eye on for a while was MyBB, as well as SMF.

01-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Ferrarislave is offline Ferrarislave
Expertise:
Software:

Ferrarislave is on a distinguished road

Old

I ran phpbb for months on two of my sites. Once the sites grew It became evident that phpBB was outgrown. Outgrown, what I mean by outgrown is that it lacked the features people where used to on other major forums. Usercp, ajax (edit, reply, and post) and overall it felt like it was lacking. I was originally going to wait for phpBB3, but it has been annouced two years ago and still is not officially out! Get VB and don't look back, I didn't!

01-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Send a message via ICQ to ULTiMATE Send a message via AIM to ULTiMATE Send a message via MSN to ULTiMATE

Old

Originally Posted by Ferrarislave
I ran phpbb for months on two of my sites. Once the sites grew It became evident that phpBB was outgrown. Outgrown, what I mean by outgrown is that it lacked the features people where used to on other major forums. Usercp, ajax (edit, reply, and post) and overall it felt like it was lacking. I was originally going to wait for phpBB3, but it has been annouced two years ago and still is not officially out! Get VB and don't look back, I didn't!
AJAX is common on a lot of forums now.

01-03-2006, 12:55 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

phpBB still lacks Ajax. I havent used anything else besides phpbb and vb. I never was really attracted to IPB. It seems bland to me, kind of a subpar vb.

01-03-2006, 12:56 AM
sm0ke is offline sm0ke
Expertise:
Software:

sm0ke is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to sm0ke Send a message via MSN to sm0ke

Old

I mainly look for a really nice design when I go to a forum. It doesn't have to be vB or IPB or anything in that case. As long as it has a nice skin, I'm attracted.

01-03-2006, 02:22 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by sm0ke
I mainly look for a really nice design when I go to a forum. It doesn't have to be vB or IPB or anything in that case. As long as it has a nice skin, I'm attracted.
I like to have both. Vbulletin and a nice skin is usally the best of both worlds. Nice looks, good performance, security, and features.

01-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Oh Its Joe is offline Oh Its Joe
Expertise:
Software:

Oh Its Joe is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Oh Its Joe

Old

I was actually going to post something very similar to this. Basically my question was would you take a site that used phpbb seriously. I ask this because I am thinking about starting my own gaming community. And I am going to buy a 20 man server for Battlefield 2 and that is quite expensive so I am thinking twice about forking over the cash for vbulletin. So back to my question, would you take a site serious that was using phpbb, with mods that are usefull but not pointless or overdone, and had a customized skin? The site would have its own 20 man gaming server and 20 man teamspeak server if that would help the image.

01-03-2006, 06:17 AM
getout is offline getout
Software:

getout is on a distinguished road

Old

I dont think there is point of comparision between any forum software. the main thing is about the content that particular site is having & if they are havin them then everybody would like to join. also, sometimes due to money problems people usually start their forum with free forum software such as phpbb & when they earn through the site, they switch to vbulletin. so you can also do the same thing.

01-03-2006, 11:43 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Some are missing the point.

I am paying for a FORUM. I'm not paying for anything else but a nice, clean forum. If all the bells and whistles were necessary, then I'd definately choose vBulletin. However, I fail to see a real reason to pay for vBulletin anymore when I can get something like SMF. A forum script that works just as well as vBulletin and has a lot of the nice features vB has through mods for free.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >