Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2242 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

First potential client

Thread title: First potential client
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
12-19-2005, 08:26 AM
sletts02 is offline sletts02
Expertise:
Software:

sletts02 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to sletts02

Old  First potential client

Today I recieved my first 'real' potential client. Previously I have been doing online work for $5-$40 however now my portfolio has grown more and it is beginning to pay off.

I recieved an enquiry from a real estate business not too far away from me and I have setup an interview with them at their work. I was wondering, what do I need?

I don't own a laptop so I can't show them everything on my laptop so I guess its paper for me? Should I get a leather binder to store my documents? What documents do I need?

What software should I use to publish / print my documents aswell?

I have a pretty good printer and photo quality paper, I guess I use that for my portfolio?

12-19-2005, 10:04 AM
mderbyshire is offline mderbyshire
Software:

mderbyshire is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to mderbyshire

Old

Firslty, make sure you dress as smartly as possible, so it looks like you are taking it all seriously, and are making an effort. This is especially important for you to prove because of your age.

Secondly, you don't need a laptop or anything like that. Print out some of your previous work, but don't simply walk in and say, "this is what I am capable of doing, can I have the job?". Most likely the most important thing you will need to take is yourself, a pen and some paper.

The chances are, the people at this real estate company know very little about the internet, websites, how they work, etc, and probably won't understand nor care for any technical jargon.

Speak to them in plain English. Greet them, sit down, and ask them questions (in plain English - no jargon, or keep it to a minimum if you have to use it). Find out about their business - who are they and what do they do? Ask them what they wish to achieve by having a website. Ask as many questions as possible. The chances are, you will only be talking for a small amount of time - they will do most of the talking whilst answering your questions. Make notes!! Write down everything they say (not word for word, but be sure to get down all of the important points).

As for 'documents' - I aren't sure what documents you think you will be needing. Are we talking contracts, here? If so, you won't have them with you. Contracts need to be written and tailored to each specific project, which obviously cannot be done until after the meeting, as only then will you know what the project will entail. As you are 15, however, you cannot legally enter into a binding contract, so whether or not you will get them to sign something is up to you. To avoid disappointment and/or confusion, however, I would still put together a list of things you will be doing, and make it quite clear what they are entitled to (e.g: revisions, etc), so they can at least read over it and tell you whether they are happy with everything, before you begin work on the project. You cannot do this until after the meeting, however, so personally I don't think you will need any 'documents' with you as such.

What software you use for publishing/printing your documents is up to you. What software you use to make the images for the site is up to you. What software you use for generating or writing the code for the website is up to you. This is not really important or relevant to the meeting, and the customer doesn't care what you use. There are no laws or rules here - you use whatever you feel comfortable using. The most important thing is that you keep the customer updated, and develop a site that caters for their needs, and solves their problems / helps achieve their goals, not just some pretty website containing images relevant to the type of business/industry they are in (which too many designers seem to do - usually the ones which go out of business quickly!).

Keep us updated with how things go, and good luck!

12-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Woof is offline Woof
Software:

Woof is on a distinguished road

Old

awesome post Mike, spot on.

Exactly what he said Scott. Wear a tie. Smile. Shake hands firmly but not too. Speak clearly and say yes or no, not ya and na. Make eye contact. Ask questions. ask more questions. and then throw out a few more. Smile a little and nod while they are answering. Acknowledge what they are saying. When your done, thank them for the opportunity to serve them. Most importantly, if you tell them you'll do something, DO IT!!

Good luck.

12-19-2005, 05:45 PM
dan1088352 is offline dan1088352
Expertise:
Software:

dan1088352 is on a distinguished road

Old

no offense, but it is not likely they will hire you for the following reasons:
-child labor laws, I know where i live it is quite strict till you are 16
-you could go back on the contract at any time due to your age, you are going to want to have an adult (a parent possibly) act on your behalf

12-19-2005, 06:23 PM
brendan is offline brendan
Software:

brendan is on a distinguished road

Old

for your portfolio question, print up 5-10 of your best work, and get some black matte board and spray adhesive from an art/craft store

actually just read this: http://www.creativegroup.com/TCG/WinningPortfolio

12-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Dray is offline Dray
Expertise:
Software:

Dray is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by dan1088352
no offense, but it is not likely they will hire you for the following reasons:
-child labor laws, I know where i live it is quite strict till you are 16
-you could go back on the contract at any time due to your age, you are going to want to have an adult (a parent possibly) act on your behalf
Dan's right. You won't get hired. It is illegal to hire anyone under 18 without a work permit and/or without a(n) adults/guradians signature.

12-19-2005, 09:49 PM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

Originally Posted by Dray
Dan's right. You won't get hired. It is illegal to hire anyone under 18 without a work permit and/or without a(n) adults/guradians signature.

No it's not. They are not persay taking you in as an employee.

Besides that, you can work as young as 14. And as young as 12 on family business. Other restrictions with food, heavy machines, beer and cigs add age requirements.

He could very well be hired--it's not like they are signing with him for a $xx,xxx project.

12-19-2005, 09:52 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by brendan
for your portfolio question, print up 5-10 of your best work, and get some black matte board and spray adhesive from an art/craft store

actually just read this: http://www.creativegroup.com/TCG/WinningPortfolio

I suggest not to do that. First, you're not bringing a fine art portfoilo, it's a commerical portfolio. Second, imagine if the office was hot or small, that adhesive has fumes even after dry.(had that happen when talking to college interviews. not good.)

Get your hands on a nice large black portfolio book, with see threw pages, then you can just throw your stuff in there, and take things out to show as you need to along the way. Easier to bring too.

12-19-2005, 11:15 PM
jared is offline jared
Expertise:
Software:

jared is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to jared Send a message via Skype™ to jared

Old

I'm pretty sure they will just pay him contract labor. Plus as long as the job doesn't go over $600 (atleast in Texas) neither side has to report anything.

Anyways just be yourself and dress nice. I can't stand people who go to meetings all "shagged" out. If you want people to take you seriously you need to look professional.

If you have any type of resume I would print that out and take it as well. If you don't have one you might want to do that in your free time. Don't use that MS word template BS however, most people hate getting resumes that look like they were just entered into a wizard.

good luck

cheers

12-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by jared
I'm pretty sure they will just pay him contract labor. Plus as long as the job doesn't go over $600 (atleast in Texas) neither side has to report anything.

Anyways just be yourself and dress nice. I can't stand people who go to meetings all "shagged" out. If you want people to take you seriously you need to look professional.

If you have any type of resume I would print that out and take it as well. If you don't have one you might want to do that in your free time. Don't use that MS word template BS however, most people hate getting resumes that look like they were just entered into a wizard.

good luck

cheers
I agree, the shaggy look is terrible. However, too dressy sends the wrong message in my opinion, perhaps overpriced. Casual business is a good middle.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >