Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1158 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Living in New York?

Thread title: Living in New York?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
09-30-2010, 01:38 PM
andr92 is offline andr92
Software:

andr92 is on a distinguished road

Old

A friend of mine lives in NY with her boyfriend, they rent a flat and work in estate agency, so their income is enough to cover the expenses, but they are thinking to move somewhere cheaper though

10-05-2010, 03:30 AM
Bryan Le is offline Bryan Le
Expertise:
Software:

Bryan Le is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Bryan Le Send a message via MSN to Bryan Le

Old

Howdy Hero,

I've been living and working in New York for about three years now...

First of all - it's very expensive, but the key to living in NY is how you handle your budgeting. If you're smart about your money (and you cook your own food), you can get away with a minimum salary of about $50,000. That gives you SOME room to have fun, live life, enjoy the food and the attractions.

Living in Manhattan is expensive, almost no matter where you live, but look in Upper Manhattan, specifically past the 90th streets on either coast of the island (like 90th and Amsterdam).

Additionally, living with a room mate cuts costs significantly. A 1 bed room apartment of about 600 square feet OUTSIDE of Manhattan (in Brooklyn) will still run you about $1,300 - $1,500.

I live with a friend in a 2BR apartment in Manhattan and I pay significantly less. You can find a comfortable space for two people for about $900-$1,100 (each). Of course, the more money you and your room mate can put in, the better location and building you'll get. But hardly anywhere in Manhattan is luxurious for under $2,500.

A general rule of thumb is take monthly rent and multiply it by 48. So if an apartment is $1,000/mo, and you multiply it by 48, you must make at least that amount to supplement that space (hence my suggestion to make at least $50,000). Obviously this doesn't cover food expenses, furniture, or anything else. And if you can make much more then the 48/mo rule, then you'll have plenty of fun in the city.

Hope that helps! If you have more specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM although I may be slow getting back to you since I only visit TFL a couple times a month

Thanked by:
Artashes (10-09-2010)
10-09-2010, 04:53 PM
KewL is offline KewL
Expertise: Design, Music, Xhtml, Css
Software: Photoshop, Coda, FL Studio

KewL is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Bryan Le!

10-17-2010, 11:34 AM
auspicious is offline auspicious
Expertise: SEO
Software: Firefox

auspicious is on a distinguished road

Old

I was never been to New York but would luv to go there and stay

10-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Hero is offline Hero
Expertise:
Software:

Hero is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks Bryan for the useful information. I do intend to go there with a friend, or share the place where I live anyway. I just have to convince someone first

I've been looking at avarage wages, and programmers seem to earn about $50.000 or more/year, so if I can get a working permit I should be able to afford life there. (According to your formula too)

10-19-2010, 12:24 PM
chandan12 is offline chandan12
Expertise: testing,web development
Software: java

chandan12 is on a distinguished road

Old

i am very interest be spend my life in New York .I am a indian .The life is very difficult to stay there but still i like to stay there atleast 1 or 2 years of my life

thanks
Chandan

10-27-2010, 07:31 PM
jd. is offline jd.
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

jd. is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jd.

Old

Orlando, Florida isnt the same but its not far from what you're looking for as far as NY. I live here and its very fast paced too, not so much walking distance, but there are buses taxis and obviously your own car. I've been at both and you cant compare either, two different life styles.

10-27-2010, 09:39 PM
SenseiSteve is offline SenseiSteve
Expertise: Sales & Marketing
Software: Dreamweaver and Photoshop

SenseiSteve is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve Send a message via Skype™ to SenseiSteve

Old

Originally Posted by jd. View Post
Orlando, Florida isnt the same but its not far from what you're looking for as far as NY. I live here and its very fast paced too, not so much walking distance, but there are buses taxis and obviously your own car. I've been at both and you cant compare either, two different life styles.
I can affirm the difference in lifesyles is day and night. One of my sisters lived in Union City, NJ and a sister-in-law in Orlando, plus I attended a few classes in East Hanover, NJ and lived in Pensacola and Hollywood, FL. You can adjust your lifesytle to each - just depends on what you prefer. I liked both and you should be fine.

10-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Hero is offline Hero
Expertise:
Software:

Hero is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by jd. View Post
Florida is also an option, I have family living there, but all I hear is about that state is that it's for old people. My second choice is California, but I don't think that'll be much cheaper than NY.

10-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Originally Posted by Hero View Post
Florida is also an option, I have family living there, but all I hear is about that state is that it's for old people. My second choice is California, but I don't think that'll be much cheaper than NY.
A lot of people retire to Florida because it is warm year round, but it is by no means just old people.

As for California, it depends on where you are. If you are in Los Angeles or any of the other major cities things will be expensive. Pretty much any major city and its metropolitan area will be expensive. New York City and LA are probably going to be the most expensive out of any of them.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >