Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 759 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

[Split] (Hiring) Part Time Gig

Thread title: [Split] (Hiring) Part Time Gig
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
01-19-2009, 03:54 AM
Vizon is offline Vizon - Click for my Image
Expertise:
Software:

Vizon is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Thats the one thing I hate, people who charge way to much for work that just isn't worth it.
And this is why you've found no one yet.

01-19-2009, 09:43 AM
lamans is offline lamans
Software:

lamans is on a distinguished road

Old

@Murz - Thanks for the contribution, the hourly weekly time isn't relative, weekly progress is important, along with clear communication and planning.

The speed at which a person works varies, some people can do the work of 10 men at @ $10 an hour. (I clearly dont mean Vizon either)

It is very hard in your industry to quote hourly rates as price for a project, i mean you could quote an overall price based on your hourly rate of choice, but as an employer i know real businesses are more interested in overall price then an hourly rate, more so now than ever before.

You can spend an hour a week if your good enough or 10 hours a week if your not, i am more focused on the end result.

@Jermey - Your right, this world is full of people that charge way to much for there skill set, its certainly played a large part of the current global economic situation.

@Vizon - You obviously dont want the job cuz your one of them people who charge to much, so can you leave it at that. I do feel sorta privileged you have wasted 10mins of your time on my thread. Thanks

01-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Jeremy is offline Jeremy
Software:

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Send a message via MSN to Jeremy

Old

Originally Posted by Vizon View Post
And this is why you've found no one yet.
Or maybe I actually have a real job and understand peoples needs. and btw I have had clients before

and Lamans I apologize for going through thread like that, some people just don't understand.

01-19-2009, 06:47 PM
creativejen is offline creativejen
Expertise: design, front-end markup
Software: Photoshop

creativejen is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to creativejen

Old

I just want to make this clear;

It is a plain and simple rule in life, "you get what you pay for".

Now, if you want to pay a developer a $100 per hour, then your obviously going to get some seriously good work. If you want to charge $10, $20 retail wages for a developer, then good luck making a "kick ass" application.

Now stop arguing!

01-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Jeremy is offline Jeremy
Software:

Old

You're not guaranteed kick ass work for paying $100 a hour. I've seen many projects that are over priced and look like the work was done by a kid. most of the time the projects that are less expensive are better. It's all about the person and to me the ones who really know a persons needs and can compromise do the better work, especially when you realize PHP programming or designing a website isn't worth that much

01-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

It's a life lesson, those who don't listen to the more experienced learn it the hard way.

So my comment:
Good luck, you obviously think you know more than us about freelancing.

01-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Vizon is offline Vizon - Click for my Image
Expertise:
Software:

Vizon is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
It's a life lesson, those who don't listen to the more experienced learn it the hard way.

So my comment:
QFT. Nicely put.

01-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Jeremy is offline Jeremy
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post

So my comment:
You like to think you know me I guess, but as a matter of fact I know business, I know how it works, it's why I don't need to charge so much for coding, and it's the same reason I'm 23 and I don't need to work another day in my life

01-19-2009, 08:15 PM
creativejen is offline creativejen
Expertise: design, front-end markup
Software: Photoshop

creativejen is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to creativejen

Old

But yet you are working, and you are trying to lower the "good developer" standards, so low to what you can afford. Seriously, paying someone at $10 - $20 an hour, will not get what you ask for, done, properly, or on time.

Do not for one second, try and degrade freelancers as not knowing business or any other form of this industry, we know it and we know it well. Please, before you try and degrade more people, more successful people, just take another good look at what you are doing, otherwise get out. Sorry to be harsh, but I certainly do not like people who claim they're retired early, yet still can not afford a real developer.

Say what you want to say, it doesnt matter anymore now. Its obvious.

01-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Jeremy is offline Jeremy
Software:

Old

I never said once I cannot afford a "real" developer, nor did I say I'm retired, I said I dont HAVE to work another day, I do work simply because it's boring sitting around doing nothing. Whether not someone want's me as a coder for them doesn't bother me, if I never get a project from here I wont care. I also never said you don't know the business, if you didn't then you wouldn't be making money at all, there is just better ways of doing it and it's not being followed.

I personally don't care what you all think, you can believe me for what I say, you can believe I have money or not. All I know is unlike you all, I don't need to charge insane costs for projects to live, hell I'll do the projects for free, I really don't care. If you don't want to listen, I don't care.

But I guarantee that those who over charge won't last as long as those who know the aspects of business. Sure you might do good for now but you won't make a living off freelancing. Especially with all the competition, the ONLY way you can be successful is if you get in with a company or if you can change it into more of a business, trust me, a portfolio on a website isn't a business.

That is all

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >