Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1563 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

How did you get your job?

Thread title: How did you get your job?
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
07-09-2005, 10:30 PM
echoepidemic is offline echoepidemic
Expertise:
Software:

echoepidemic is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to echoepidemic Send a message via MSN to echoepidemic

Old

Originally Posted by Aros
I ran internship at the company for 5 months, worked myself up towards head of the design and HTML (validation) department. Still working there right now.
I think I should talk to a career counseller on how to get an internship. Because that would be awesome.

07-10-2005, 05:12 PM
stoavio is offline stoavio
Software:

stoavio is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to stoavio Send a message via MSN to stoavio

Old

I drive around my area with my card and bother business owners and convince them they'd do much better if they had a web presence.

07-11-2005, 03:24 PM
moped is offline moped
Expertise:
Software:

moped is on a distinguished road

Old

I have gotten several jobs through knowing someone on the inside. As far as how I got started...

Focus on design in highschool, took some design corses in colledge (though the program sucked), then worked as a T-Shirt designer. From there dove head deep into design and specifically interactive design.

07-11-2005, 03:37 PM
tarun hari is offline tarun hari
Software:

tarun hari is on a distinguished road

Old

I quit college, the next day found a local internet/IT based job site http://www.wiredsussex.com and saw a job advertised for a junior designer. So I applied thinking, ah what the heck, I probably wont get it but whatever. The very same day I got a phone call asking me to attend an interview and a HTML test. At the time I knew no HTML or very little. So in the week prior to my interview I learnt as much HTML as I could and then past the test set by my colleague. I then went home feeling the interview went well, but they were going to interview someone else the next day... so again I had my doubts I would get it. Next week though they rang me and asked when I could start.

It was a 6month contract started last december, and then last friday I was offered the job perminantely and got a pay rise to boot. It's weird how simply sending of your CV to a company can change a whole year of your life. When I left college I didn't expect to be hired within a week. But I did.

07-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

Will be looking for a part time placement at a design firm within my city over the next 2 months.

Time to get organised

07-11-2005, 08:34 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

word to that. ^

07-12-2005, 03:24 AM
Snerdey is offline Snerdey
Expertise:
Software:

Snerdey is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Snerdey

Old

Well, the 1st thing I did when I bought my 1st computer was format the hard drive! So I took it right back then learned how everything worked =) It's been a long hard road. But, my quest has been great. SWB Telephone for programming and learning networks and then AOL until 9-11 came and within a month many of us lost our jobs and careers ended. So, I made my own website and used my nic name cause there were 0 Snerdey's in the search and I knew I had something unique. I hope to one day be bought out and hit the beach then buy a jeep =)

I'm a 1 cause I've done all the others =)

07-21-2005, 02:55 PM
idaandersen is offline idaandersen
Expertise:
Software:

idaandersen is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to idaandersen

Old

Graduated with a BA Hons in graphic design and was lucky enough to get work experience in my second year (my tutor had contacts with a local design agency) - I am now here full time. Think word of mouth has to be the best way; although there are SOOOO many recruitment agencies out there...

07-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Gethin is offline Gethin
Expertise:
Software:

Gethin is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Gethin

Old

Paper round... got my brother to talk to the shop as he works there

ok... so a paper round... what a great job, 6am every morning every day of the week... get about 5 hours sleep due to up late every night because of seperate school and personal work. What a great job, I think that anyone would jump at the chance to have a bad back at the age of 15 and earn £20 a week.

Yeh right, enough of the sarcasm. I really do have a paper round, cannot wait to get rid of it. But that is not my only source of income, yes it is a recurring income and my other sources of income aren't always for definate but I earn money from design also.

I don't have a real job due to my age, you have to be around 18 to work at many of the places around here.

But on the net it's a different story, I've realised other the past few weeks that I may do better with programming, so whenever I get the time I am going to be learning how to programme, I guess I'll start with HTMl and then advance to PHP and ASP etc.

Then I'm hoping, after I leave secondary school and on my way to college to get an Aprentaship with a company about 15 minutes drive from here. I would want to work in IT, I've just worked at this place for a week and still have tomorrow to go, although I've seen that the job can be frustrating because it's basically a company that uses IT all the time, it is a fun job also because the group there are so great and just work together so well.

Tarun, your story was very interesting, surprised that you didn't think you would get the job with your talent.

07-21-2005, 06:24 PM
YoungCoder is offline YoungCoder
Software:

YoungCoder is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by How2Freelance
Paper round... got my brother to talk to the shop as he works there

ok... so a paper round... what a great job, 6am every morning every day of the week... get about 5 hours sleep due to up late every night because of seperate school and personal work. What a great job, I think that anyone would jump at the chance to have a bad back at the age of 15 and earn £20 a week.

Yeh right, enough of the sarcasm. I really do have a paper round, cannot wait to get rid of it. But that is not my only source of income, yes it is a recurring income and my other sources of income aren't always for definate but I earn money from design also.

I don't have a real job due to my age, you have to be around 18 to work at many of the places around here.

But on the net it's a different story, I've realised other the past few weeks that I may do better with programming, so whenever I get the time I am going to be learning how to programme, I guess I'll start with HTMl and then advance to PHP and ASP etc.

Then I'm hoping, after I leave secondary school and on my way to college to get an Aprentaship with a company about 15 minutes drive from here. I would want to work in IT, I've just worked at this place for a week and still have tomorrow to go, although I've seen that the job can be frustrating because it's basically a company that uses IT all the time, it is a fun job also because the group there are so great and just work together so well.

Tarun, your story was very interesting, surprised that you didn't think you would get the job with your talent.

To be honest I would never consider doing a paper round for any less than £20 an HOUR. But hey, it's your back

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >