Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1037 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Abusing RSS feeds, why we should abandon them!

Thread title: Abusing RSS feeds, why we should abandon them!
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
05-31-2005, 09:37 AM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old  Abusing RSS feeds, why we should abandon them!

I'm sick to my stomach at one particular website right now, http://www.w3reports.com used to offer press releases that actually meant something, were informative and offered something to communities. It seems as though people are just jumping on the bandwagon now promoting their own sites for free and w3reports are letting it happen.

Look at these news articles below, they're totally inaccurate and full of lies from the get go. I mean, some of the things that slip through the net are beyond me, do they even vet the articles?

Stephen John Barnes the director of Webmassive LLC announced the site named Web Design Base up for sale, Stephen John Barnes the director of Webmassive LLC says he is selling Web Design Base for further expansion of their new found success on the website named Quacked
This guy is 15 isn't he, now he's the director of "Webmassive LLC", do you think he has a board of directors? In his bedroom? I find it embarrasing and a real shame to the communities that are using this news feed. It's cheap plugs and totally uneducational material.

Take a look at this one then...

http://www.w3reports.com/index.php?itemid=907

Only less than two months after it’s official opening on April 3rd 2005, SleekSkins.com has taken a good share of it’s industry
How inaccurate is that, it's just made up! They have only made a handful of skins, I hardly think they're closing in on extremepixels, vbskins, sheldon etc.

Sorry for the rant, but it drives me up the wall!

05-31-2005, 09:49 AM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

Another example of how people will do whatever it takes (marginally) to make a quick buck and earn online fame. I'm on your side of the water with this one Rob, totally and utterly pointless.

05-31-2005, 10:13 AM
sysblnk is offline sysblnk
Software:

sysblnk is on a distinguished road

Old

I agree as well. Although I like the idea of having this feature of being able to submit a press release I do beleive they should double check it. You mentioned Stephen's and as I was looking through it I couldnt help but thinking is he trying to become famous or something? He states "Stephen John Barnes the director of Webmassive LLC" a million times. I really don't understand how they can let just anyone do this.

05-31-2005, 10:59 AM
FiveInteractive is offline FiveInteractive
Expertise:
Software:

FiveInteractive is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to FiveInteractive Send a message via MSN to FiveInteractive

Old

I totally agree with you on that Robson, those two articles drove my crazy. Rathr then giving informative reports about the real companies such as template monster, google, who actually are big companies, it is full of kids trying to make a quick buck and get some free advertising out of a duff articles.
Surely w3reports should cold read some of these articles before theyre placed on the website.

05-31-2005, 08:38 PM
xdoomx is offline xdoomx
Expertise:
Software:

xdoomx is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to xdoomx Send a message via MSN to xdoomx

Old

Originally Posted by Robson
Take a look at this one then...

http://www.w3reports.com/index.php?itemid=907

How inaccurate is that, it's just made up! They have only made a handful of skins, I hardly think they're closing in on extremepixels, vbskins, sheldon etc.

Sorry for the rant, but it drives me up the wall!
It might be made up but at the same time it's not, we never mentionned we were extremely big, we just saw a good branding opportunity and jumped on it, trying to get our name known somehow.

05-31-2005, 08:40 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

It's totally made up, you've lied. You haven't taken any share in your industry. Where are you basing this information from exactly? I've seen a bunch of press releases from similar sites and everyone just plugs their site to high heaven. If anything your going to do more harm than good by talking rubbish about yourselves.

05-31-2005, 08:57 PM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Bazza` is on a distinguished road

Old

lol i though that one by Stephen was quite funny especially the number of times he said ' Stephen John Barnes the director of Webmassive LLC' in it. . . . it's a shame that people are abusing it this way but it was always going to happen as everyone see's it as a quick way to get their name out there w3c really need to start moderating the articles more checking up on suspicous stories wouldn't hurt them any

05-31-2005, 10:16 PM
xdoomx is offline xdoomx
Expertise:
Software:

Old

http://www.webdesignershome.com/foru...?showtopic=599

You personally attack Bas, Stephen and myself in this thread and minutes after you have the balls of advertising TalkFreelance on my own forum. How much lower can you go? I got a lot of respect but my point of view about you has been changing lately.

05-31-2005, 10:20 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

I posted in an advertisement forum, that's what it's there for?

Stephen is banned from this forum because he can't seem to act in a civil manner now it seems he follows me everywhere with his snide remarks. I didn't insult anyone, I'm stating my views on w3reports poor service. I'm all for you getting your name out there, but you've lied to the public and you've even admitted it.

I think that's wrong. If you don't want me advertising in your ADVERTISING forum then remove it, I don't mind.

05-31-2005, 10:23 PM
xdoomx is offline xdoomx
Expertise:
Software:

Old

The timing was quite bad for posting such a topic on my forum, almost looked arrogant. And to clear it up, it's not an advertisement forum as you call it, it's a requests & offers forum. The description (Offer your services or hire someone here!) clearly states what it's for. But anyways since I like TFL and I have nothing against you personally I'll just leave it there and lock it for discussion.

By the way not sure if you've seen but Stephen came on my forum crying about you beeing a big meanie, topic that I locked of course but it's quite funny to see the "Director of Web Massive LLC" react like that.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >