Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1084 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Clients.. Was I Unfair?

Thread title: Clients.. Was I Unfair?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
05-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Lewis Malpas is offline Lewis Malpas
Expertise:
Software:

Lewis Malpas is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Lewis Malpas

Old  Clients.. Was I Unfair?

Hello,

I recently compelted a project, a banner to be specific. I charged my standard rate and completed the banner as promised in the same working day, After showing a few initial designs I started to animate the banner, I did everything the client asked for, this resulted in changing the animation completly around about five or six times, remodifying my original design that the client approved, I was still polite and made every minute change the client asked for, eventually I completed the banner. The client said he could not pay untill the following saturday, five days later. Saturday came and I was paid, however the client came back to me and again asked for modification, which I couldnt agree with due to these reasons,

1. I gave the client multiple chances to modify the banner.
2. I changed the banenr multiple times, this included starting the animation over and over again.
3. Late payment - taking into consideration the low cost of a banner, pp transfer fees and the exchange rate from $/£.
4. The client wanted me to change the text order, which I copied directly from his conversation.

The client wsn't very happy and stated he IM'ed me the correct order, besides me having evidence of his initial IM (Chatlog) However he accused me of editing the chatlog.

As far as the client goes, Im sure I offended him and he was fairly ignorant and rude to me, however do you think I was fair ?

Thanks Guys,
BoxedPixels.

05-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

You were more than fair

05-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Qbanito is offline Qbanito
Expertise:
Software:

Qbanito is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Qbanito Send a message via Yahoo to Qbanito

Old

For sure man, sometimes clients are a pain in the a$$ .. I mean, if you do webdesign to put the food in ur table, then you will have to deal with it, but like I just do webdesign for fun, i can't stand a stupid client, however, i try to keep myself polite at all times.

05-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Its just I dont like doign it and then having people ruin my threads, I think i was fair however the client didnt and made his opinion pretty clear.

05-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Jabbie is offline Jabbie
Expertise:
Software:

Jabbie is on a distinguished road

Old

i agree.. seemed fair to me. but there are always to sides to a story

05-22-2005, 04:46 PM
schroder is offline schroder
Software:

schroder is on a distinguished road

Old

Sounds like you were reasonable. Some ideas have popped into my head as to how to avoid such a situation though.

1.) Send a confirmation e-mail that goes over the request one more time, including the wording he wanted. And to avoid any problems with parties tampering with the document you could get the checksum of the document and include that checksum in the documentation.

I believe the checksum will differ if someone changes the wording around or tries to add some more wording.

From the sounds of it this guy/gal didn't keep a chat log themself and therefore wasn't able to confirm it was their bad. If you send them the confirmation e-mail and they respond it was ok then I think you both have sufficient documentation and your not relying on whether or not he has a chat log enabled. Remember to tell them to save a copy of the e-mail though because its kind of a contract even though your not having him sign it.

2.) Is there anyway that you could give them the psd or whatever format the banner is in so they can edit the text themselves?

I have created a couple banners a while ago but it was never for business so I don't know how you normally do it.

Anyway, there's my 2 cents. Which isn't much with inflation. :\

05-22-2005, 05:14 PM
dmadray is offline dmadray
Expertise:
Software:

dmadray is on a distinguished road

Old

Nah...you were fair. He was just being an idiot. I still wish i had clients like him tho...lol. Though I would do the same. I also understand the guilt u might be feeling but dude, don't. Some ppl are plainly hard and unfair to deal with and I'm the 5th freelancer who agrees with ya. So don't worry. maybe send him the link to this tread let him see what others think of the situation.

On a side note:
I really don't like the idea of discussin work on msn because it's easy to be or get misinterpreted. Best thing is to do it via e-mail and let him write what it is he really wants. That way you have an e-mail to show as evidence of what was stated.

05-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

The client will see this message, he is a member on this forum. I also did supply all source files for him to edit himself, However as I said in my initial post the client has allready started to ruin my other threads on other forums.

05-22-2005, 07:16 PM
sysblnk is offline sysblnk
Software:

sysblnk is on a distinguished road

Old

I believe you were fair and you will always run into clients like this. You have the proof he /she doesnt so you have nothing to worry about.

05-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

..And this is very I avoid online clients..

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >