Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 579 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Does Age matter?

Thread title: Does Age matter?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
04-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Dubai is offline Dubai
Expertise:
Software:

Dubai is on a distinguished road

Old  Does Age matter?

To be a professional designer/ programmer or any webdesign related?

I Dont think that It does matter, its all about talents and skills you have, and how much efforts you are ready to put on something that you are working on. However I prefer dealing with people who have had experience before and know what exactly I want( mainly people who have been in this firm for a long time).

04-21-2005, 07:03 PM
jamesyfx is offline jamesyfx
Expertise: Design
Software: TextEdit

jamesyfx is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jamesyfx

Old

Not really, but being older IS an advantage though, as you can get certificates and some solid recognition for your skills.

04-21-2005, 07:12 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Personally (get ready to flame me), age does matter. However it is tied into a few things and not just "I hate teen designers". You specifically talk about professional people, ie those working in the industry not just making a quick buck.

Experience is a major factor in design/programming and I'll give you an example. I was looking over some jobs recently and they required twelve years of working experience in a certain industry... I'd started programming professionally at 9 years old, then that wouldn't have been a problem but alas I didn't start that young.

To quickly pick up on one of Nofan's points, "its all about talents and skills you have." Someone may be the greatest designer in the world at their age, but if they're not business-wise they simply won't break into the industry. It's all well and good being able to design, but without and business background the chances are slim of being able to pull it off professionally. There is so much more to being a professional designer/programmer than simply being able to design/program.

04-21-2005, 07:15 PM
jon is offline jon
Expertise:
Software:

jon is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to jon Send a message via MSN to jon

Old

I think it does matter. A 13 year old isn’t going to get a contract with any large company, however talented they are.

It is very possible for someone to make it on the internet, however old they are, but to be a recognised professional you need to reach a certain age IMO.

04-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Lewis Malpas is offline Lewis Malpas
Expertise:
Software:

Lewis Malpas is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Lewis Malpas

Old

Does a 13 year old need to contact a massive company? A thirteen year old can take jobs which are 300$ and be very happy making a very nice profit as he/she has no bills e.t.c Also does and would a adult freelance approach a large company? If I was a 40year old freelance im not sure if I would approach large international companies...

so in my opinion, being fairly young now and when I started freelancing age is not an important factor, I have a large list of pleased clients, I have always been polite e.t.c but I quess that depends on the person..

04-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Gethin is offline Gethin
Expertise:
Software:

Gethin is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Gethin

Old

I think the general view of many people is that if they find out your a teenager doing any sort of business they'll be worried and possibly won't choose you.

That's why when I started my hosting company at 13 (now closed) I never have out my age.

04-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Joe is offline Joe
Software:

Joe is on a distinguished road

Old

A 13 year old will probally not even bother trying to get any contracts with large companies. More interested with making money doing freelance design work. However, if people are looking for a freelance designer, they will most likley pick someone who has experiance and isn't like 13.

~ Joe

04-21-2005, 09:22 PM
angryblue is offline angryblue
Expertise:
Software:

angryblue is on a distinguished road

Old

experience.

04-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Tekime is offline Tekime
Expertise: Web Design & Development
Software:

Tekime is on a distinguished road

Old

Age matters a lot.
  • If you're under 18 you cannot legally enter a binding contract with a client.
  • Older clients often don't take young people seriously (it's true)
  • Communication is more difficult across generations

I'm 25 now but I still look very young and I battle it every time I meet a potential client. The most important thing I have learned is to not try to act old though, just to be myself. People are sometimes nervous about youth, but confidence is a powerful tonic that can override that feeling. Still, you need experience and that only comes with age.

04-21-2005, 10:38 PM
BlaineSch is offline BlaineSch
Expertise: Web Applications
Software: Notepad++

BlaineSch is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to BlaineSch Send a message via MSN to BlaineSch Send a message via Yahoo to BlaineSch Send a message via Skype™ to BlaineSch

Old

I think it does matter to them, because most of them believe the older you are the more experienced you are.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >