Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1223 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Please share your opinions.

Thread title: Please share your opinions.
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
03-29-2006, 10:05 PM
rasberry is offline rasberry
Expertise:
Software:

rasberry is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to rasberry

Old  Please share your opinions.

Okay, well, this is an issue that should be settled over an instant messenger - though apparently someone wanted it otherwise.

As many of you know, I posted a topic called "xhtml/css coders" the other day. I was looking to hire someone for around $25 to basically teach me how to code a very simple layout I created for this purpose.

VIZ, an old friend, offers me a 'session' to teach me how. I accept. Here's how it started:

[10:57:08 AM] Andy - VI5 says: can we agree I was chosen for the 1 hour help?
[10:57:14 AM] Julek says: Yes.
When he said "help", I thought he meant it - so I agreed.
So from there on, he starts rambling on setting up a div and container ID, which he explained pretty well.

About 10 minutes into all of this, he starts pasting snippets of code for me to paste into my document. I ask for him to explain it, but it turns out the code is wrong and is messed up in all browsers. I ask to fix it, he pastes me another piece of code, then another, and another. Finally, after 15 minutes of correcting code, he gets it right. Fifteen minutes ladies and gentelmen, that is how much time it took him to fix an error.

Then the entire conversation pretty much follows the same path.

After one hour of pointless rambling and pasting error-full code, he says:

It's been over an hour now, do you want me to finish it off for an extra $10 and then explain it for another $5?
The entire purpose of hiring him was to LEARN something. I haven't learned anything, and if I was asked to re-create this for the life of my family I could not even have started.

Do you think its correct for me to refuse to pay him?
I offered him the payment only if he goes back and explains, so that I know what he did, the right code... He refused.

So, I refuse to pay. As I said before, my purpose in hiring him was to learn something - I didn't learn anything.

03-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Jeff Andersen is offline Jeff Andersen
Software:

Jeff Andersen is on a distinguished road

Old

Simply put, i don't think you were in a position to learn XHTML from someone if you didn't know the specific functions. This is no way your fault, and it's nothing against you but if you didn't know the basic things he was explaining then you shouldn't have done that.

Now, as for VIZ. I feel he should have taken a downpayment to ensure his efforts went paid for, but if the code was invalid and he refused to continue / explain for the quoted price then the previously given code is useless thus Julek, you have nothing to pay for.

03-29-2006, 10:17 PM
hyproVision is offline hyproVision
Expertise:
Software:

hyproVision is on a distinguished road

Old

Instead of paying him to teach you don't you think it would be much wiser to go and buy a CSS book that would teach you loads more?

03-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Dubai is offline Dubai
Expertise:
Software:

Dubai is on a distinguished road

Old

To be honest, i think you should pay him at least for the hour he spent with you, not 25 dollars maybe? But he spent one hour. He could've worked on something esle.

03-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Jeff Andersen
Simply put, i don't think you were in a position to learn XHTML from someone if you didn't know the specific functions. This is no way your fault, and it's nothing against you but if you didn't know the basic things he was explaining then you shouldn't have done that.

Now, as for VIZ. I feel he should have taken a downpayment to ensure his efforts went paid for, but if the code was invalid and he refused to continue / explain for the quoted price then the previously given code is useless thus Julek, you have nothing to pay for.
I know some basics of xhtml, only from a Sitepoint book I've just recently purchased. I plan on learning to code the layout, but I agree with your last statement.

Kirki, this may be a good thing to do.. Once he gets back online I'll consider this.

03-29-2006, 10:34 PM
cpr is offline cpr
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

cpr is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

I'd wouldn't pay him anything, he showed by getting the code wrong he obviously hasn't got the amount of knowledge required to teach you. I'd refuse to pay him until he's gone over and explained everything, if he doesn't and you still pay him it's a stupid decision on your behalf.

03-29-2006, 11:04 PM
Joe is offline Joe
Software:

Joe is on a distinguished road

Old

I wouldn't pay. He said he would help you and he didn't fullfill his part of the bargain, so you shouldn't have to either. It doesn't matter how long he spent talking to you, the fact is, you we're paying for help, and not for him to attempt to help you.

03-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by joe
I wouldn't pay. He said he would help you and he didn't fullfill his part of the bargain, so you shouldn't have to either. It doesn't matter how long he spent talking to you, the fact is, you we're paying for help, and not for him to attempt to help you.
This was my arguement aswell, I didn't learn anything therefore I don't owe him anything.

03-29-2006, 11:07 PM
northpark is offline northpark
Expertise:
Software:

northpark is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to northpark

Old

even though this topic isnt about me, I am still going to appologize about last night.

Sorry.

and I also think that you should pay him for what he taught you, not how long it took.

03-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by northpark
even though this topic isnt about me, I am still going to appologize about last night.

Sorry.

and I also think that you should pay him for what he taught you, not how long it took.
1- Its fine, no worries.
2- If he didn't teach me anything, I owe him $00.00 then.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >