Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1239 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography :

The problem with a graphic designer.

Thread title: The problem with a graphic designer.
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
07-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Emily0415 is offline Emily0415
Expertise:
Software:

Emily0415 is on a distinguished road

Old  The problem with a graphic designer.

Hey guys!
I want to get some points of view from graphic designers about an experience I recently had with one. First, we accorded a budget of 400 dollars for a job that included some Flash, some design and of course, nice presentation. The deadline was around 2 weeks; I didn’t ask him for anything because I trusted him. So, when he delivers I was unhappy with some of the designs and he comes all grumpy at me, telling me what my mistakes were and that if I wanted him to fix those mistakes he would charge me with another 200, so I accepted. Then I realized that some text was wrong and I sent him the correct one and he charged me another 80 bucks just for making him so the same thing twice. Is this normal? What would you have charged me? What could I have gotten for 680 bucks from the beginning?

07-04-2008, 03:22 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

he sounds like an idiot.

if you're asking him to do things he considers 'mistakes' - like asking to use hot pink, or a marquee or something he considers a bad idea, as a responsible designer he should confront you abut the issue when it presents itself and come to a solution that resolves it, not just do it anyways because that's what you asked for. that's why people pay designers instead of trying to do it themselves.

morons like this ruin it for the rest of us because it paints this image that we're just production slaves with no creativity of our own.

charging another $200 isn't uncommon, or greasy activity. it makes sense when you break it down - the deal was $400 for this amount of work and all the fixes he needed to do were outside the scope of the $400. however, going ahead with mistakes, that he knew about - means he knew he'd have to charge you again for fixing them, just because that was the scope of the $400 makes him an idiot. $80 to copy/paste some text is ridiculous too.

there's 2 schools of thought on billing: fixed price like salary, or hourly. if he's providing a fixed quote, he should be factoring in mishaps like revisions, copy updates and things like that into his price from the beginning. that's how salary works, sometimes you get paid for doing next to nothing, sometimes you work 70 hours that week. hourly, he should be giving an estimation - not a fixed quote - and provide records when he sends the bill.

07-09-2008, 01:53 AM
VekSol is offline VekSol
Software:

VekSol is on a distinguished road

Old

the guy doesnt know what he is doing. find yourself a better designer...

07-11-2008, 12:25 AM
chaoslight is offline chaoslight
Software:

chaoslight is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to chaoslight

Old

I agree, $80 for the text thing is just stupid but $680 really isn't that unreasonable for a design but if you both agreed on a budget of $400 he's being silly and should've keep to that.

07-11-2008, 12:32 AM
High5 is offline High5
Software:

High5 is on a distinguished road

Old

sounds like a dumb ass and you should of jumped ship a while back.

07-11-2008, 01:51 AM
Super Dude is offline Super Dude
Expertise:
Software:

Super Dude is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Super Dude Send a message via MSN to Super Dude

Old

The guy conned you bro.
Get your money back and ask some users on this forum.
They're nice =]

07-11-2008, 05:02 AM
Xavier_3D is offline Xavier_3D
Expertise:
Software:

Xavier_3D is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Xavier_3D Send a message via Yahoo to Xavier_3D

Old

What an Unfriendly Designer. Clearly he's Scamming you greatly. Editions are suppose to be Totall FREE until a Design had been agreed upon, thats an unwritten rule that everyone follows. He may charge you later on, when you ask him to edit it, once the deal is complete. But $80.00 Seems too Unfair Seriously for minor Text Edits.

07-11-2008, 06:01 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Xavier_3D View Post
Editions are suppose to be Totall FREE until a Design had been agreed upon
seriously?

if someone is constantly extending the design process through frivolous revisions, the numbers are going to ad up. the designer should be compensated. if you're charging by the hour, you have no problem. if you're working of a fixed price, based off an estimation of time and these revisions double it, realistically the price should double. doing half the work for free is as stupid as asking for $80 to paste in a new tagline.

if you're working on fixed prices, work in a revision set into the deal. for $x they get y concepts with z rounds of design alterations after a concept is picked. after that you should settle on a charge for every round after. they'll either be smart with their revisions and do full rounds at time ironing out everything, or they'll pay for not planning ahead in the production process.

07-11-2008, 08:57 PM
lukeburns is offline lukeburns
Software:

lukeburns is on a distinguished road

Old

I think this a lesson for all us designers... Don't be a jackass and you'll be have happy customers... happy customers means more money... more money means more happiness... more happiness means more sex... more sex means more... kids? Okay... nevermind. Bad plan... HORRIBLE PLAN!!! Be a jackass :P

07-15-2008, 06:02 PM
AzzaHB is offline AzzaHB
Software:

AzzaHB is on a distinguished road

Old

Agreed, seems like a right tool.

Even though I've never really made anything for anyone for money. I would feel that if my work wasnt to par that I was responsible to correct it.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >